What did we learn-Game 2 Oregon

JJ Husker

2 minutes ago, Nebhawk said:

Really dudes, Oregon didn't come out for blood in the 2nd half.  You can't base anything off of that half of football!  Tanner Lee is Tanner Lee.  He didn't come here highly touted.  He isn't a blue chip recruit.  How many times will this program take a transfer QB and think that this is the answer.  Keller, Taylor, Lee, ETC.  Why are we not trusting our recruiting just a little bit?  POB, Gebbia ?  If this season is a building season, lets build around a freshmen!

3-4 defense if you have the talent is a decent defense to run, but against speed and talent, your still out matched.  The issue is we don't get enough push up front unless we blitz, and once we commit to a blitz, they have us with numbers.

I would take Zac Taylor in a heartbeat right now. Give hime these receivers and TEs and I think we would have a very good offense. 

Defense:  Can't believe we actually have regressed on defense.  I give us credit for trying something new (Banker wasn't the answer) but this 3-4 is going to take time and unfortunately we are going to have to get players that can play in this scheme.  We got Diaco and he is not going anywhere.  We still have to create pressure on the QB...this is football 101.  Where the heck is the LB pressure in this 3-4 scheme...they are covering the grass and stuck in cement shoes.  I'll say it...not sure what the lovefest is for Gifford...I don't even know if he is 3rd string on any elite teams.  Not having Chris Jones in coverage is killing us.  Other than Kalu no one else can cover.  DB's...turn for the ball...you can't make a play on what you can't see.  The DL...low energy and no pass rushers.  If we are sticking with Diaco then just call it what it is...a complete rebuilding year on defense and you get the recruits to play in this scheme like Bookie and others.  This is a f'n embarrassment to the Blackshirts.  I am tired of seeing other teams turn around in a year or two and we have been working on it for over a decade.  Look at all the Big 10 teams in the top 10.  We are NOT EVEN CLOSE.  Ped State should have been a dead program and they are #4.  

Offense:  OK...so I see what Riley and Langsdorf are trying to do with offense.  Tre Bryant is ballin'.  The jury is still out for me on Tanner Lee.  This is the type of QB we will have.  Our WR's need a head check.  First play hits Morgan right on and he tips it and gives them an INT.  That is not on Lee.  Lee hits Lindsey for the first down and he bobbles and gives up the yardage...again not on Lee.  DPE takes one step forward and two steps back.  Why is he catching punts inside the 5?  Our receivers are running routes short before the sticks...why?  So Lee had to try to make a big comeback and he couldn't...if the defense showed up in the first half then Lee doesn't have to try to win it with his arm.  The OL is inconsistent. 

Overall:  When the defense was under pressure in the first half they collapsed.  Oregon took the gas off us in the second half.  So when the defense wasn't under pressure they did OK.  Same with the offense.  Under pressure not so good.  Then we got behind and had little pressure and made some plays.  Once we got close, the pressure was back and Lee did not perform well.  So what has me concerned going forward is these tight games we will play in conference and I fear we will lose some due to inconsistent QB, WR, and OL play and also a defense that has been awful this year.   

• Plus1 4

I think most of the hype has been brought on by the media over how "NFL good" Tanner Lee is and of course as fans we never get to see any of practice and had to go with the spring game as our only glimpse.  Now, assuming that our defense plays in practice a lot like it does in the past two games, then of course the naive/ignorant media handful that are watching a few practices are seeing Tanner Lee carve up our defense much like the Ark State and Ore QBs just did.    It is not hard to throw and catch passes if the defender is standing back and waiting to make the tackle afterwards.  Passsing stats are easy to impress people with when you have very little resistance.  

And of course, our offense is not looking so good when they are actually playing against against teams whose defenders are up in their faces defending.  Tanner Lee is not finding it so easy to hit the open man or make the right decisions when the open man is not to be found.  In practice, most of the receivers are 'open' but are supposed to be quickly and securely tackled afterwards.  

I think this game vs Oregon has answered a lot of the preseason questions we expected it to answer.  Unfortunately for Husker fans, the answers we got are not the ones we wanted.

We now know that our defense is not very good and our offense is not very good.  Our special teams have made great strides, although certainly not perfect.  I do think we have a chance to win about half our games with luck but we are only two games in and the injuries are starting to mount.  It is unlikely we will make it to November without playing a lot of the number 2s and 3s who apparently are just not very good because if they were they' d surely be playing.  

We had some success in the second half primarily because Oregon relaxed and went into the play to not lose mode.  Even then, in the end, the Huskers didn't have what it takes to find a way to win.  With about every punt Oregon did in the second half, I was relieved that they didn't go for the first down instead as the odds were very high they'd get it and go on in to add another TD.   I had a sense that Oregon was trying to not run up the score on their old former neighbor Mr. Rogers (I mean Riley).  

d

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

I think most of the hype has been brought on by the media over how "NFL good" Tanner Lee is and of course as fans we never get to see any of practice and had to go with the spring game as our only glimpse.  Now, assuming that our defense plays in practice a lot like it does in the past two games, then of course the naive/ignorant media handful that are watching a few practices are seeing Tanner Lee carve up our defense much like the Ark State and Ore QBs just did.    It is not hard to throw and catch passes if the defender is standing back and waiting to make the tackle afterwards.  Passsing stats are easy to impress people with when you have very little resistance.  

And of course, our offense is not looking so good when they are actually playing against against teams whose defenders are up in their faces defending.  Tanner Lee is not finding it so easy to hit the open man or make the right decisions when the open man is not to be found.  In practice, most of the receivers are 'open' but are supposed to be quickly and securely tackled afterwards.  

I think this game vs Oregon has answered a lot of the preseason questions we expected it to answer.  Unfortunately for Husker fans, the answers we got are not the ones we wanted.

We now know that our defense is not very good and our offense is not very good.  Our special teams have made great strides, although certainly not perfect.  I do think we have a chance to win about half our games with luck but we are only two games in and the injuries are starting to mount.  It is unlikely we will make it to November without playing a lot of the number 2s and 3s who apparently are just not very good because if they were they' d surely be playing.  

We had some success in the second half primarily because Oregon relaxed and went into the play to not lose mode.  Even then, in the end, the Huskers didn't have what it takes to find a way to win.  With about every punt Oregon did in the second half, I was relieved that they didn't go for the first down instead as the odds were very high they'd get it and go on in to add another TD.   I had a sense that Oregon was trying to not run up the score on their old former neighbor Mr. Rogers (I mean Riley).  

d

amen, amen, amen................................................................. thank you

12 hours ago, Jarhead In Red said:

Agreed, Toe. And, for me, even more frustrating were the times Lee missed open receivers.

Some of those I think may have been on the receivers being a little out of position. Like the one where he overthrew DPE on a would-be TD, to me it looked like DPE wasn't going full speed.

But yeah, on that last INT, I was sitting there saying "you've got time, just don't try to force anything, don't force it, don't force it, aaaand he tried to force it." :facepalm: