What did we learn-Game 2 Oregon

JJ Husker

Four times in the first half, Nebraska’s offense started a drive with a pass. The results of those four drives: two interceptions and two three-and-outs. The Huskers’ pass game was consistently inconsistent in the first half and gave more life and field position to Oregon’s offense. That said, there aren’t many odder calls than NU consistently staying in its base defense for much of the first half.

OWH

This is why Diaco's defense isn't any better than Banker's.  The main reason Banker's defense was terrible was because his "Quarters" coverage was effectively man-to-man most of the time.  Short of having Pro Bowl-caliber corners, it's unrealistic to ask corners to have to play man-to-man defense everywhere on the field.  

This is the play before their first TD - it should have been a TD but the QB overthrew an open receiver.  Jackson, Lee and Kalu are locked up man-to-man on the three outside receivers.  Williams is spying Freeman.  Why we have to have a safety spying the RB when we already have seven guys in the box with only six blockers is unknown to man kind but that's what we were doing.  Also, it is unknown why the three DBs would be looking at the QB if they are in man coverage.  

With the entire field to work with it's tough to stay with a guy you're not watching.

nekwC6L.png

• Plus1 2

This is what drove me nuts about Banker - the reports of his defense being a "high school defense" proved to be true.  It's completely obvious what we're doing before the snap.  And, worse than that, it's completely obvious where our defense is exposed.  This turns into a 50-ish yard play because Oregon's QB can see before the snap that we have one DB and two LBs trying to cover the two receivers at the top.  He checks to two vertical routes then all he has to do is throw to whoever is open, as the two LBs have no chance of running deep with them.

Why is Kalu walked clear up to the line?  If he's going to do that, why is it done so far ahead of the snap to make it obvious to everyone?  If we only have three DBs in coverage, why are they not each covering one of the WRs instead of doubling one and leaving LBs to try to cover the others?  Bad on so many levels.

sMXsfrQ.png

I've also learned I am going to stop buying into the hype the coaches/media try to deliver to us and just wait for them to show us something on the field. Not even going to buy into this second half improvement deal, because the bottom line is you gave up 42 points in one half and it cost us the game.

So please, no more feel good story press releases, just go out there and show us.

• Plus1 1

How the hell can so many of you say after 2 game Diaco is not right for Nebraska, but also say give Riley another year?  Like NU football is supposed to be a crappy imitation of the Blue Bombers?

I dont think NU will ever get back until we have an AD that understands the identity of NU and how important the RIGHT HC is in college fb.

• Plus1 1
Just now, dvdcrr said:

How the hell can so many of you say after 2 game Diaco is not right for Nebraska, but also say give Riley another year?  Like NU football is supposed to be a crappy imitation of the Blue Bombers?

I dont think NU will ever get back until we have an AD that understands the identity of NU and how important the RIGHT HC is in college fb.

I'm not sure if anyone is saying that.  There are people saying one or the other but I don't think anyone is saying both.  :dunno

11 minutes ago, Mavric said:

This is what drove me nuts about Banker - the reports of his defense being a "high school defense" proved to be true.  It's completely obvious what we're doing before the snap.  And, worse than that, it's completely obvious where our defense is exposed.  This turns into a 50-ish yard play because Oregon's QB can see before the snap that we have one DB and two LBs trying to cover the two receivers at the top.  He checks to two vertical routes then all he has to do is throw to whoever is open, as the two LBs have no chance of running deep with them.

Why is Kalu walked clear up to the line?  If he's going to do that, why is it done so far ahead of the snap to make it obvious to everyone?  If we only have three DBs in coverage, why are they not each covering one of the WRs instead of doubling one and leaving LBs to try to cover the others?  Bad on so many levels.

sMXsfrQ.png

Also Cosgrove.

Even when we line up better, it's still not good.

We're at least spread out against a five-wide look.  But we are still giving them about whatever they want.  They fake the smoke route to the top.  We probably would have stopped that for a short gain - assuming we could make the tackle - but Gifford is late reacting because he's far enough inside that he's having to look back and forth between the WR and the QB.  They fake the smoke route and throw to the front receiver up the sideline.  That completely fools the front two guys.  Luckily the throw is low and the receiver has to go to the ground to catch it.  That would seem like a throw that your safety over the top should be preventing but he's at 16 yards deep and retreating so he has no chance.  And if they wanted to throw the smoke route to the slot at the bottom, he has all kinds of room to work with as he's got blockers for the two closes defenders and the safety is 15 yards away and retreating.  

Here, take your pick of who you want to throw to.

F6xFFOv.png

Just so it's not everything negative :o this is a really nice play.  Doesn't look like much to start with but we cave everyone down and kick out the OLB which creates a really nice lane for Bryant to get about 25 yards.  It was so good that the pulling guard and tackle BOTH blocked the OLB and it still worked.  :lol:

It's crazy how you can have success running the ball if you don't run it right up the center's butt.

BuEQUx2.png

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Mavric said:

This is why Diaco's defense isn't any better than Banker's.  The main reason Banker's defense was terrible was because his "Quarters" coverage was effectively man-to-man most of the time.  Short of having Pro Bowl-caliber corners, it's unrealistic to ask corners to have to play man-to-man defense everywhere on the field.  

This is the play before their first TD - it should have been a TD but the QB overthrew an open receiver.  Jackson, Lee and Kalu are locked up man-to-man on the three outside receivers.  Williams is spying Freeman.  Why we have to have a safety spying the RB when we already have seven guys in the box with only six blockers is unknown to man kind but that's what we were doing.  Also, it is unknown why the three DBs would be looking at the QB if they are in man coverage.  

With the entire field to work with it's tough to stay with a guy you're not watching.

nekwC6L.png

I don't think I have ever seen a corner lined up like our guy at the top.  Looks like when you play A video game and it bugs out on you or something