What did we learn-Game 2 Oregon

JJ Husker

9 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Tanner Lee is all hype?

2 of his picks were just unlucky and weren't on him (you could argue 3 of them), and his receivers dropped at least a half dozen passes that hit them in the hands. Tanner didn't have what will end up being the best game of his career, but he'll be just fine.

I agree, he will be just fine.  Sadly for this offense "fine" won't do much.

• Plus1 2
29 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Tanner Lee is all hype?

2 of his picks were just unlucky and weren't on him (you could argue 3 of them), and his receivers dropped at least a half dozen passes that hit them in the hands. Tanner didn't have what will end up being the best game of his career, but he'll be just fine.

Again, the INT's maybe not have been Lee's fault, but they are a fault of Langsdorf's and Riley's offense. The turnover problems of 2015 were blamed on Armstrong. If the turnovers continue in 2017, who is to take the blame this year?

• Plus1 1
50 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Tanner Lee is all hype?

As with last week, I think the claims of the dropped passes are pretty exaggerated.  

I've made it through the first half and I don't think there were any that were really "drops."  Now, there might have been a couple that were "could have been caught" but there were extenuating circumstances (coverage, etc) that made them pretty tough catches which aren't really "drops."  Hoppes in the second half would be another one.  Yes, he "could" have caught it.  But that's a very tough catch when it's that far over your head.

So I think "at least a half dozen" is an exaggeration.

• Plus1 4
2 hours ago, RedDenver said:

Yes, good stuff Mav. But it seems like we're playing zone in some of those images and man in others, and we're not good at either. 

Without being able to see the entire field all the time, it's tough to know.  It would be interesting to know what the calls are.

My best guess is we're basically in man-to-man with the under guys with safeties in zone over the top most of the time.  If there are two receivers stacked it's basically a man but who has which varies depending on which way they go.  The LBs are often in an under zone unless there is a certain call that switches them to man.

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, Mavric said:

As with last week, I think the claims of the dropped passes are pretty exaggerated.  

I've made it through the first half and I don't think there were any that were really "drops."  Now, there might have been a couple that were "could have been caught" but there were extenuating circumstances (coverage, etc) that made them pretty tough catches which aren't really "drops."  Hoppes in the second half would be another one.  Yes, he "could" have caught it.  But that's a very tough catch when it's that far over your head.

So I think "at least a half dozen" is an exaggeration.

I think that any time a receiver get his hands on the ball, the general fan thinks it's a "drop". But, like you said, the receiver could be completely stretched out for the ball, have a CB holding one arm down, a defender tip the ball, or the receiver just coming out of his break. These types of plays probably don't count as "drops", because they would have been great catches to begin with.

My problem with the current offense is that it seems to require NFL type players and experienced players at all positions in order to make it function well. There is such a fine line between functional and non-functional, so it's not surprising to see mistakes happen and cost the team. 

• Plus1 1

I really for the life of me can't figure out why we continue to only rush 3, especially in obvious passing situations. I use this as an example but even on Oregon's opening TD of the game where we brought pressure, the ball wasn't thrown well from Herbert. He essentially lofted up a jump ball into the end zone and Bootle never turned around to play the ball. I'd much rather have QB's not setting their feet and getting hit throwing jump balls like that than having 2 300 pounders and Freedom try to get to a running QB against 5 offensive linemen. All credit in the world to Herbert for making the throws but it was laughable at times Saturday how much time he had in the pocket. He was going through 3 or 4 progressions each passing play. You simply can't defend WR's (especially good ones) for that much time and expect it to end well.

• Plus1 1