The ONE thing that made you shake your head

teachercd

Besides that fact that Mediocre Mike is our coach...mine was the QB sneak.

Why bother with all the shift and motions if you know you are sneaking it...why bring "stupid" into play.  Of course Riley lovers will not place blame on him because they never do but there is no reason to shift and motion like that when you are sneaking it anyway.  

So THAT was my shaking head moment.

What was yours?

• Plus1 2

The most obvious head shaker for me is the play of the new and improved defense.   In the first 6 quarters of this season, our opponents have racked up nearly 900 yards of offense and scored like slot machines.  If the state strategy is to prevent points, then the new 3-4 is a complete and utter disaster.   The second half was obviously much better if one only measures the points given up.  I have not seen the final stats for the game and the total for the first two officially, but it mush be at or above 1000 yards !   That, by any measure, I don't care what era of football we are talking, is BAD.  And time of possession may actually favor Nebraska at this point so the defense is not only giving up yards like crazy but is doing so in very little time.  Admittedly the opponents are playing the hurry up and this is causing us fits.  But, it is not a surprise and the coaches have had 8 months to get ready.  We should have had some plattoons or packages ready.  One can be sending in substitutes quite literally a few seconds after the whistle has blown.  If the offense is making subs, then we have time as well.  If the players are ready and coaches have a plan, it can be done.  We need to change things up and force the offense to make adjustments so they take more time.  Bo would use timeouts to hopefully react and prevent an obvious big play from hurting us.  We have an experienced, mature QB running the offense and the coaches are 'wise old owls' that should know all the tricks of their trade by now.   Our opponents lose helmets and feign injuries and find ways to stop the clock without timeouts left.  We need to use the rules and the quirks therein to our advantage.  

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, teachercd said:

Besides that fact that Mediocre Mike is our coach...mine was the QB sneak.

Why bother with all the shift and motions if you know you are sneaking it...why bring "stupid" into play.  Of course Riley lovers will not place blame on him because they never do but there is no reason to shift and motion like that when you are sneaking it anyway.  

So THAT was my shaking head moment.

What was yours?

It pissed me off, but it's not like we hadn't prepared for that sh#t. DPE shouldn't known where the hell to be.

45 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

The speed deficit was so evident.

Gotta land some big safeties in recruiting and start moving them to LB.

Just now, teachercd said:

Of course he should.  They all should.  That is the thing though, why add in any chance for something stupid to happen.

Idk, deception I suppose. You're right, but it's not really fair to blame a player not being in the right place on the coach when it's so simple.