Everybody just needs to settle down and...

Roll Skers

1 hour ago, skers44 said:

See how these next 3 weeks go against NIU, Rutgers, and Illinois. play well and win these games being 4-1 heading into a home game against undefeated top 10 Wisconsin, where anything can happen...

Just want to point out that you've got a lot of people who appreciate this post (all the +1).  Don't let all the negative comments make you think anything otherwise.  They're just the loud ones this week.

• Plus1 3
On 9/10/2017 at 2:02 PM, teachercd said:

Nailed it!

I wonder if this loss to Oregon will have the same impact that losing to NU did last year for the Ducks

Im definitely not drinking the Koolaid like I was before the game, but I would think the fact that we outscored them 21-0 in the second half kinda shows they aren't going to let it effect them too poorly. If we end up going 4-8, I think we would have ended up that way regardless.

1 minute ago, Mavric said:

"Pro Style" is very generic.  Just because two teams both run a Pro Style offense doesn't mean they are doing the same things.  

Our offense looks very little like Wisconsin's.

The schemes we run, formations, shifts and multiple looks we give is very similar to Wisconsin. Different personnel (sp?) and Wisconsin having a solid identity as a running team maybe make them seem more different then they are 

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

The schemes we run, formations, shifts and multiple looks we give is very similar to Wisconsin. Different personnel (sp?) and Wisconsin having a solid identity as a running team maybe make them seem more different then they are 

Last year we averaged the exact same amount of yards per game as Wisconsin did.  They got a significantly higher percentage of their yardage running the ball.  That has a lot to do with how effective your offense in in the B1G in November.

Just because some of the things we do look the same doesn't mean we use them the same way.

3 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Last year we averaged the exact same amount of yards per game as Wisconsin did.  They got a significantly higher percentage of their yardage running the ball.  That has a lot to do with how effective your offense in in the B1G in November.

Just because some of the things we do look the same doesn't mean we use them the same way.

I'm just saying I don't think our playbook is the problem. Alot of Big 10 teams have a playbook that looks very similar to ours.

Now how our coaches call a game and use that playbook is a different story with that I will agree. I think Riley wants to establish the run and run more than we throw. I know you don't agree with me on that and our game Saturday doesn't help my argument but I think getting down early to Oregon specifically significantly altered our gameplan. We shall see as the season progresses.

I think everyone is in agreement when it comes to running the ball. We need to do it effectively and often to succeed, especially in November. I am hopeful that is the gameplan, the question  is will our staff stay committed to it.  

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Mavric said:

Which is what we were told after his first year because he had to get better players.

Which is what we were told after "no blowout" losses turned out to be bunk because he needed a QB for his system.

Which is what we were told when his first recruiting class turned out to be not so hot because the 2017 class was going to be special.

Which is what we were told after the 2017 recruiting class turned out to be solid but nothing spectacular.

Which is what we were told after our defense against Arkansas State was supposedly just playing vanilla and the DC thought played "fantastic"

Lather, rinse, repeat.

This.

For all the people bitching about how others are calling for heads after one game., it isn't just one game. It is constantly being feed the bs over the last few years that we are turning the corner. Nothing in yesterday's game showed any sort of indication that we are turning the corner. It reminded me of the 2014 MSU game, where the near comeback was a band-aid to the real underlying problem... we are still so far from where we should be.

• Plus1 2

I was pissed during the game and am not pumping any sunshine but...

you are are exactly right. Almost everyone not on a husker message board figured we would be 1-1 right now.  The coaches have to feel ok about their next three games which gives them a chance to breathe and figure out how this defense is going to work for them this season.  4-1 sounds pretty good to me. 

• Plus1 1

We absolutely still have a shot at having a great season. Diaco needs to manage the D better, seems like he runs the wrong D against the wrong opponents thus far.

O-line is still a little suspect; which scares me the most. Front 7 looks stout, though; thats good.

every solid team has that beast o-line, though.... that's how you win. USC and Okla can run or pass only because they have great o-lines. Ala. would too if they wanted to pass.

im scared that Riley may be putting too much emphasis on recruiting receivers/qbs here, but they'll be useless behind a mediocre(at best) o-line.

Maryland seems to be building they're team the right way.

• Plus1 3
8 hours ago, Mavric said:

Which is what we were told after his first year because he had to get better players.

Which is what we were told after "no blowout" losses turned out to be bunk because he needed a QB for his system.

Which is what we were told when his first recruiting class turned out to be not so hot because the 2017 class was going to be special.

Which is what we were told after the 2017 recruiting class turned out to be solid but nothing spectacular.

Which is what we were told after our defense against Arkansas State was supposedly just playing vanilla and the DC thought played "fantastic"

Lather, rinse, repeat.

But there is always those glimmers of hope, like the result (not so much performance) in the second half of the Oregon game. There is always that little tiny amount of hope that this isn't what the vast majority thought it would be the day he was hired.

• Plus1 1

A perspective grounded in "we were sold a false bill of goods regarding this coaching staff" explains a lot about the tone in which current events get described.

I think that's really difference between the current backlash/vindication versus the 'how can you guys not just get behind the team'. It's whether we think these guys are the best thing to happen to Nebraska in recent years, or whether we can't believe they got hired and don't think they'll ever be up to snuff. Neither is a clearly wrong position. Maybe the skeptics will get vindicated in the end. Hope they'll be eating crow, though ;)

• Plus1 3