LJS: I Hope I Never See the Day When Nebraska Football Celebrates Coming Close

Mavric

As much fight as Nebraska (1-1) showed in the second half, let's be careful to avoid showering too much praise on the Huskers. Oregon is a vulnerable team with a defense that finished 126th nationally in average yards allowed last season. If the Ducks owned a talent advantage, it was slight.

Bottom line, this game was winnable for the visitors.

Let's get this out of the way: I hope I never see the day when Nebraska football celebrates coming close.

Give the Ducks' offense ample credit. It is explosive. But in that remarkable first half, the Blackshirts were generally pitiful.

Justin Herbert won't soon be mistaken for Tom Brady or Marcus Mariota. But Herbert, a 6-foot-6, 225-pound sophomore, was 21-for-25 for 313 yards and three touchdowns in the first 30 minutes.

"A lot of strain, a lot of stress on a developing defense," Diaco told reporters.

LJS

• Plus1 1

9 minutes ago, LaunchCode said:

I don't care what the outcome is, if I see a Husker team playing hard to the end of any game and competing on every play I'm going to recognize it.  If others want to tear their team down or limit their praise of good hard effort so be it, just don't tell me not to.

This. 

• Plus1 4

The thing is, Nebraska should have been playing hard right out of the gate. I love Gifford's comments, I really do, but how about having that mentality to start the game. How about having that mentality as a group as a team both players and coaches when you walk out and see that almost half the dang stadium is red in support of you guys. How about realizing that you have an entire fan base that travels from all over the country to watch you play, so much support that, really these days that's all Nebraska football has going for it, is that their fan base travels really well. Take notice all those fans who traveled, spent money, took time out of their personal lives to come and support you.

So how about coming right out of the gates playing with that passion and that mentality. Or I'll even take once you realize "Crap we are down 14-0 and not even 2 minutes into the game" you get that mentality.

Look I love Nebraska football, I'll request to have the Nebraska "N" on my tombstone when that day comes. But lets look at it this way. These players and coaches are spoiled beyond belief. They have state of the art facilities, they are kings within the entire state. They have an entire state at their support and fans across the country who live and breath Nebraska football (This might be a con considering the criticism they may get). You play for Nebraska you're the states main focus and again being treated to great facilities, great academics, great fan support, etc. Yet you only produce 7,8,9,10 win seasons. Now the usual rebuttal to this is Nebraska is hard to recruit to, hard to get kids to come to middle America where there isn't much to offer. Sure, I get Nebraska's geographical location, but look at other programs in similar locations as Nebraska. What makes Oklahoma a consistent winner and power and not Nebraska? Is it the simple fact that Oklahoma is closer to Texas then Nebraska? Is that it? This day and age with every game on television I don't think its a big deal to be so far away for 3-5 years because your family and friends can always see you on TV play. Either way, whether you're in Lincoln, Norman, Ann Arbor, Madison, you're going to have to take a plane ride home to Texas.

So I get the feel good optimism the media and coaches are trying to sell us, because there is a lot of season left, but the bottom line is, we have been fed this perspective for 16 years and we as fans still wait with optimism of hope and it never comes. So lets just go out there and start winning please.

• Plus1 7

2 hours ago, BoneyardHusker said:

The thing is, Nebraska should have been playing hard right out of the gate. I love Gifford's comments, I really do, but how about having that mentality to start the game. How about having that mentality as a group as a team both players and coaches when you walk out and see that almost half the dang stadium is red in support of you guys. How about realizing that you have an entire fan base that travels from all over the country to watch you play, so much support that, really these days that's all Nebraska football has going for it, is that their fan base travels really well. Take notice all those fans who traveled, spent money, took time out of their personal lives to come and support you.

So how about coming right out of the gates playing with that passion and that mentality. Or I'll even take once you realize "Crap we are down 14-0 and not even 2 minutes into the game" you get that mentality.

Look I love Nebraska football, I'll request to have the Nebraska "N" on my tombstone when that day comes. But lets look at it this way. These players and coaches are spoiled beyond belief. They have state of the art facilities, they are kings within the entire state. They have an entire state at their support and fans across the country who live and breath Nebraska football (This might be a con considering the criticism they may get). You play for Nebraska you're the states main focus and again being treated to great facilities, great academics, great fan support, etc. Yet you only produce 7,8,9,10 win seasons. Now the usual rebuttal to this is Nebraska is hard to recruit to, hard to get kids to come to middle America where there isn't much to offer. Sure, I get Nebraska's geographical location, but look at other programs in similar locations as Nebraska. What makes Oklahoma a consistent winner and power and not Nebraska? Is it the simple fact that Oklahoma is closer to Texas then Nebraska? Is that it? This day and age with every game on television I don't think its a big deal to be so far away for 3-5 years because your family and friends can always see you on TV play. Either way, whether you're in Lincoln, Norman, Ann Arbor, Madison, you're going to have to take a plane ride home to Texas.

So I get the feel good optimism the media and coaches are trying to sell us, because there is a lot of season left, but the bottom line is, we have been fed this perspective for 16 years and we as fans still wait with optimism of hope and it never comes. So lets just go out there and start winning please.

Well said, all things on point

• Plus1 1