If we lose a CLOSE game to Northern Illinois

speedtoburn

15 hours ago, niu007 said:

Yes, Santacaterina. His brother actually played LB at NIU recently. He's a better runner than Graham, breaks more tackles and a little faster. As for passing, hard to say but he hit longer passes regularly against EIU where Graham missed guys that were wide open against BC. It's only one game so it's hard to say for sure but most of the fanbase would prefer Santacaterina and thought that before the season started.  All of our QBs are supposed to be dual-threat. Santa isn't particularly fast but decent speed. Of course he had time to throw against EIU without needing a RB or TE to stay in and block like they did against BC.

Interesting, I figured as much (about the dual threat aspect).

I was surprised to see that you guys played BC so close, and from what I read, had a chance to win the game at the end.

It looks like your defense is the strength of your team this year, looking forward to seeing how the O vs. D matchup plays out. I would not be surprised if your D keeps you in the game longer than people will be expecting.

It appears that BC is offensively challenged again, as they often are. Wake Forest beat them 34-10 or something like that. We lost to BC a couple years ago, also by a FG. We moved the ball better in this game but needed a slightly more consistent passing attack and common sense play calling on BC's side of the field. Also, our line didn't block that well on a couple field goal kicks which were blocked (at least one of them could have been kicked with a higher trajectory though, I think).

Thus, I'm not entirely sold on our defense just yet. EIU didn't look very good, and as I said, BC won't be near the offensive challenge that Nebraska will be. Sutton Smith appears to be a good, though undersized DE, that has spent a lot of time in the backfield the first 2 games. The secondary is pretty good for a MAC team, but won't do any good unless we can get pressure on the QB. For me the question will be if our QB can continue to improve. He has potential I think.