Riley Got Contract Extension, Expected to get Another

Mavric

2 hours ago, teachercd said:

This might just be me but I think a lot of the younger coaches are looking more at the contract than the school.

Bob Stoops, I think, will start a trend.  Make your cash and retire.

The coaches are signing a lotto ticket, they know it.  You get a HC coaching gig at 40 and you are pretty much set for life.

Your response to the post you quoted makes no sense, especially regarding Stoops.

Stoops could have made way more money jumping ship. The trend Stoops would start, if any, is staying put and being happy with the riches you already have instead of chasing the riches you don't, then knowing when to be able to let it go.

44 minutes ago, brophog said:

What was the stated goal of this coaching change?

Trust me, I get it. The thing is, there is something going on there that supersedes players and coaches. The program has become soft and lacks aggression. It is one thing to give it your all and still lose, its another to forget how to play and take it on the chin on national television two times a year. I feel like even if you brought in Saban, our players would still be scared to play. 

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

I know people know the reason behind these extensions, and why all college coaches at nearly every major sport have four-year contracts which are routinely extended.

It's funny to watch people act as if this means anything about Riley's time here, or that this is in any way anything other than about recruiting. 

It makes it really easy to figure out which posters to pay attention to, and which ones to ignore. 

I can't think of anything I've said or posted negative about MR.  I like him.  Having said that, I am more then surprised to see any kind of extension with him.  I see him going 7-5 this year and next year is brutal ... so I'm guessing that the administration wants to go all-in for his 5 years.  I'm just wondering how far down the end of the rope we are hanging at that point?  We are irrelevant in the B1G and look to take 3rd again in our half of the conference.  I won't be the person ranting or making any real public, negative statements about MR regardless.

The Huskers, the administration ... the whole thing just miffs me.  I guess I personally believe that the mounting pressure and accountability to win and get it right is important to a program.  Looks like the leadership believes differently.  I'm just miffed.  Not arguing or disagreeing with anyone.  Fascinating stuff to read today.

• Plus1 1
27 minutes ago, hskrfan4life said:

Everytime I see Frost come up as a wanna be hire. I want to stab my eyes. What makes some think he is gonna do it for us?

IMO, he's a Nebraska guy the fan base is familiar with. If he were the exact same guy with the exact same level of success, but his history was with Ohio State or Oklahoma and not Nebraska, then I don't personally believe he'd be talked about near as much.

He was a talented position coach, coordinator and now he's testing his mettle at a low tier division one school. It's a good progression for him. But, if he ever comes to Nebraska, I'd want it to be because he's the best available candidate for the job with everything taken into consideration.

• Plus1 1

5 hours ago, Vince R. said:

Nebraska needs to settle in with a staff and set of players and get this monkey off their back. It is pretty clear to me that these issues stem beyond a regime or players. I do not know what it is, but at some point, enough is enough. Let these guys figure it out. Is that a risk? I don't think so anymore. We are who we are as a program and I do not see it dropping beyond nine wins every year (aside from MRs first year). So take the time to get it right, instead of firing guys just to find lightening in a bottle. 

I agree with this. Although Pelini was here for a long time, compared to Callahan and Solich, but this is why it was baffling Nebraska would go out and hire a guy at the age Riley is.

I think Frost finished his career at NU after spending the first couple years at Stanford.  He certainly has experienced the coaching excellence of Bill Walsh and T.O. and others thereafter in the time since he graduated, etc.  I would be happy to see a former Husker become our next H.C. and always welcome assistants with Husker bloodlines.  

However, all that being said, I would really like to see his coaching resume' and would very much want to see a good number of interview, public speeking engagements and other indications of his H.C. capabilities.  His Husker pedigree does NOT in my view qualify him, automatically, to become H.C.   If he came in as our offensive coordinator for 4 or 5 years, and we all had some time to truly evaluate him, then it may well be that he is the 'right' guy.  I don't want us to hire another coach that is NOT the great hire we so desperately need.  

I really thought Tom gave Frank the job because of so many years of loyalty and friendship, etc.  Maybe there were other non-publicly disclosed factors as well.  But Frank had ZERO head coaching experience and a lifetime of Husker history.   He was NEVER a good recruiter as mostly of his RBs were Omaha products that were almost a lock to come to Lincoln.  It was easy for long time to recruit top notch I backs when Omaha Central graduated one every other year or more often.  But Tom was the recruit magnet, not Frank.

Bill Callahan was a 'splash' hire but his pedigree was NFL branded and he just was not suited to be a college football H.C.  He is a tremendous offensive line coach and one of the better offensive football minds in football.  But he is a professional football mind, not amateur / collegiate and certainly was a Husker in any passionate form.  

Bo Pelini was a Ohio State Buckeye and an excellent defensive football mind.  He was not ever a Husker at heart and it always seemed to come through.   Tom hired him, mostly, in my view, out of respect for Frank (who hired Bo initially) and because the public / Husker fans / wanted him.  

I don't know why Tom was unable to go out and select the very best football mind and head coach in the country as he certainly carried the 'gravitas' and national reputation and respect across the coaching fraternity (presumably - although he certainly was not loved and admired and respected by all coaches as nobody every could be).  

It is not time to be firing our head coach nor undermining him.  However, if the team fall flat this year and we finish with a horrendous record (3-9 or whatever), then the coaching search will begin.  Riley will resign and he won't need to be fired in my view.  He came to Nebraska to win a championship as his career is certainly not filled with lots of rings and titles, etc.  If he finds it is not within reach, he will walk away having given his best and not succeeded.  That seems to me to be the kind of man he is.   

8 hours ago, RedDenver said:

But other coaches know and use the contract length to negatively recruit. ("He's only got 2 years left on his contract. Are you sure you want to risk going there, or come here where I've got a 6 year contract in place!")

Yes, I understand they do that.  But they could just as easily print out one of the message threads posted here (such as who should be hire) and show it.  Long story short, I don't believe it makes a big difference (they can find a way to recruit negatively) and whatever the difference  isn't worth, imho, the millions it may cost.

1 hour ago, Enhance said:

IMO, he's a Nebraska guy the fan base is familiar with. If he were the exact same guy with the exact same level of success, but his history was with Ohio State or Oklahoma and not Nebraska, then I don't personally believe he'd be talked about near as much.

He was a talented position coach, coordinator and now he's testing his mettle at a low tier division one school. It's a good progression for him. But, if he ever comes to Nebraska, I'd want it to be because he's the best available candidate for the job with everything taken into consideration.

And part of what should be taken into consideration are his Nebraska ties. We don't want someone to see this as a stepping stone (that might be possible by now) or someone who's one step away from overreacting to a couple boos and deciding he wants to leave as soon as possible (Pelini in 2011). Having someone who understands the pressure is important.

It's not the most important factor, but it isn't a non-significant factor.