Riley Got Contract Extension, Expected to get Another

Mavric

2 hours ago, Moiraine said:

And part of what should be taken into consideration are his Nebraska ties. We don't want someone to see this as a stepping stone (that might be possible by now) or someone who's one step away from overreacting to a couple boos and deciding he wants to leave as soon as possible (Pelini in 2011). Having someone who understands the pressure is important.

It's not the most important factor, but it isn't a non-significant factor.

Good point. I agree.

8 hours ago, knapplc said:

I know people know the reason behind these extensions, and why all college coaches at nearly every major sport have four-year contracts which are routinely extended.

It's funny to watch people act as if this means anything about Riley's time here, or that this is in any way anything other than about recruiting. 

Bo's contract was extended the year he was fired for crying out loud 

21 hours ago, LaunchCode said:

When it comes to Husker football there probably aren't many things Husker fans agree upon, however I will go out on a limb and suggest one thing we all agree on is the need for great athletes and depth in all positions.  While we have some great young men/athletes now, we also have some holes and weaknesses. 

With an offensive system like MR's, once a cycle of freshman have come in and developed in the system over a 3, 4, or 5 year period with Jr's and Sophmores behind them who have done the same, it becomes a powerful machine and not just a system.

Anything that helps us attract and get talent is another step in the right direction.  This extension is a strong message to all prospective recruits wanting to play in a pro-style offense who may be concerned about whether the coach and system they commit to will still be in place 3 years form now.  The answer is YES, so hesitate no longer and commit to N today.   GBR

Noise and BS.  

Osborne and Devaney knew how to recruit to Lincoln and develop players, as well as the importance of having the utmost physical teams possible.

That we know by looking at our nation leading number of Outland/Lombardi winners, and the fact that the Rimington trophy is named after a Husker.

Riley, & Co do not understand any of these things and would not respect them if they did.

• Plus1 1

I don't think this contract extension means diddly squat.  If we go 6-6 or worse, SE and MR are gone.  Big money boosters will start bailing.  Frost will be the next guy, if he so desires it.  After that, then I would say why not Bob Stoops?  Why not?

Negative recruiting happens whether were on here second guessing any coach.  Recruiting starts with the action on the field.  Wins, not losses.  Playing in the spotlight of a contender or a pretender.  We have been pretenders now for almost 20 years.  Once again, the west division is soft besides Wisky.  Winnable.  Still winnable.  Odds are we won't finish better than 3rd.  What in the world has Riley done to deserve anything to this point?  Starting his 3rd season.  His outcomes thus far are very similar to that of Callahans.  NO defense, and on occasion against lesser opponents high octane offense.  9-4 and 8-5 is the ceiling.  Thats all Callahan could produce before the wheels fell off the wagon.  Bo had the same ceiling.  I think Frost could produce 10 win consistent contenders.  11 wins in moderate levels and play for Big 10 titles.    Does anyone ever see Riley getting to that point?  If you are saying to yourself no, why continue along this path again?

• Plus1 1
16 hours ago, Landlord said:

Your response to the post you quoted makes no sense, especially regarding Stoops.

Stoops could have made way more money jumping ship. The trend Stoops would start, if any, is staying put and being happy with the riches you already have instead of chasing the riches you don't, then knowing when to be able to let it go.

No...Stoops has started the "retire young" trend I think is going to catch on.  Had he taken those other gigs he would have retired sooner.  I think you will see a lot of "new" coaches taking that first contract, the first big one they get, putting in their 5-10 years and retiring.  I don't think you will see a lot of 60 year olds coaching.

Stoops didn't chase...but I bet he wished he would have and could have left the game 5 years sooner.

14 hours ago, Enhance said:

IMO, he's a Nebraska guy the fan base is familiar with. If he were the exact same guy with the exact same level of success, but his history was with Ohio State or Oklahoma and not Nebraska, then I don't personally believe he'd be talked about near as much.

He was a talented position coach, coordinator and now he's testing his mettle at a low tier division one school. It's a good progression for him. But, if he ever comes to Nebraska, I'd want it to be because he's the best available candidate for the job with everything taken into consideration.

i think the trend is to hire younger coaches. the older guys have been recycled to the point (with exception) their negative points tend to out weigh the positive. 

it's a bit of a coaching carousel, or so it seems.

• Plus1 1
23 hours ago, Hilltop said:

When I read some of the negative comments about his contract extension I have to really question the knowledge base of some of our fans.  Most of us KNOW that a contract has to be 4+ years or recruiting drops off drastically.  Even with the extension, hot seat talk really does take its toll on recruiting.  I believe that is why Bo struggled so much his last year or two.  When boosters and regents start calling for someones head, recruits run for more stable programs.  While I may not be "happy" with our teams results over the past couple years, I absolutely think we need stability to right the program.  The talent is starting to flow in again- I just really hope Riley can produce enough on the field to keep the wolves at bay long enough.  

I understand contracts have traditionally been 4+ years and attributed to recruiting. But I can't think of any examples demonstrating recruiting dropping off drastically because of contracts less than that.

19 hours ago, knapplc said:

I know people know the reason behind these extensions, and why all college coaches at nearly every major sport have four-year contracts which are routinely extended.

It's funny to watch people act as if this means anything about Riley's time here, or that this is in any way anything other than about recruiting. 

I think the timing of it just seems a little off. I don't have an issue with it personally but I would definitely be scratching my head if he received an extension after a final score of 42-14.

2 hours ago, FTW said:

I think the timing of it just seems a little off. I don't have an issue with it personally but I would definitely be scratching my head if he received an extension after a final score of 42-14.

The timing is just when the media reported this. The contract was proposed in January and Riley signed it in August, so before any games were played.

Edited by RedDenver
didn't mean to blame the media
  • Plus1 1