Minnesota replacing Iowa as Nebraska's Thanksgiving Game

knapplc

Just now, Zeke said:

I think it's only a select few in each division that will rotate every two years, not all Big 10 schools. If I understood the article correctly.

That was my point.  It may have been "unanimous" but I bet that doesn't mean that every school was in favor of having their game rotated.

18 hours ago, Branno said:

I don't mind the switch to Minnesota, but playing on Saturday seems like a raw deal. 

Exactly, could care less if we play Iowa or not for the last game. But the black Friday game has been around longer than I've been alive and I haven't heard a good reason yet to get rid of it yet.

• Plus1 1

53 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

I'm more ticked that Nebraska is stuck playing Ohio State for the next few years.  I'd be nice to catch someone else that isn't you know..a total juggernaut.  Heck, give us Michigan.  After Harbaugh leaves to take the Colts job and fire up the Andrew Luck connection UM will be in flux again.

Except he would only leave for the Bears job

Week 1 Kansas

Week 2 @Northwestern

Week 3 USC

Week 4 @Purdue

Week 5 Wisconsin

Week 6 @Illinois

BYE

Week 7 @Minnesota

Week 8 Iowa

Week 9 Penn State

Week 10 @Michigan State

Week 11 UTEP

Week 12 @Oklahoma (On Black Friday)

Following year:

Week 1 @Kansas

Week 2 Purdue

Week 3 @USC

Week 4 @Wisconsin

Week 5 Illinois

Week 6 Northwestsrn

Week 7 @Iowa

BYE

Week 8 Minnesota

Week 9 @Michigan

Week 10 @Penn State

Week 11 Kent State

Week 12 Oklahoma (on Black Friday)

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, MattyIce said:

I don't get it?

Why don't you want to play tOSU?

I am so happy with how tough our schedule is the next handful of years. I want to see us against the best.

My complaints - uneven HOME/AWAY schedule each year. EX: HOME: Iowa, tOSU, Wisconsin this year, 1 should be away so that next year isn't so light at home.

-Moving the game off of Black Friday. It's tradition. One that I love.

I want to see Nebraska win as many games as possible every year.  Not playing Ohio State makes that easier to accomplish.  Chances are decent you're going to catch them in the CCG anyway (should Nebraska win their division).

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

Except he would only leave for the Bears job

Not to derail the thread too much but Andrew Luck>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.Bears QB situation.  Elite QBs cover up a whole lotta issues plus I can see the Colts agreeing to give Harbaugh total control which is what it would take (amongst a whole lotta cash) to possibly get him to leave UM.

4 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

le every year.  Not playing Ohio State makes that easier to accomplish.  Chances are decent you're going to catch them in the CCG anyway (should Nebraska win their division).

4 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

I want to see Nebraska win as many games as possible every year.  Not playing Ohio State makes that easier to accomplish.  Chances are decent you're going to catch them in the CCG anyway (should Nebraska win their division).

Yeah, I want to win too, but what's the point of scheduling patty cakes, going to the Championship game and getting blown? Playing those good teams throughout the year should make your team light years better by the end.

• Plus1 1
20 minutes ago, MattyIce said:

Yeah, I want to win too, but what's the point of scheduling patty cakes, going to the Championship game and getting blown? Playing those good teams throughout the year should make your team light years better by the end.

If this were the old Big 8 days were Nebraska was only playing one or two tough games and rolling everyone else than I would be inclined to agree with you.  At this stage of the game, I think the collective fan base would be pretty tickled with wins, pure and simple.  If scheduling the sisters of the poor meant Nebraska was getting to the CCG every year than I would be completely fine with that.  In a one game scenario lots of weird stuff can happen.  I'd rather Nebraska get that chance to win the conference than the alternative we have right now.

Last year, there were 43 college football games on Thanksgiving Saturday. And 14 on Black Friday. Yes, Fox was moving NU-Iowa to Fox Sports 1 this fall. But if Nebraska ever gets good again, the Huskers surely would’ve earned a prominent stage again. 

And one more point: Yes, you’re playing the season finale on short rest. But guess what, so is the other team! And if you make the Big Ten title game (as Nebraska should on a semi-annual basis), you get an extra day of preparation the following week.

I guess it’s been so long that NU didn’t think of that benefit.

OWH

• Plus1 1