• Announcements

• Mavric

*NEW* Nebrasketball Commit - 2018 PG Xavier Johnson   08/07/2017

Husker Hoops land a commitment from Arlington, Virginia Point Guard Xavier Johnson   Profile   Get Up-To-Date on Basketball Recruiting
    • Mavric

Fall 2017 Fundraiser   09/22/2017

One of the things that was lost in the board upgrade is the way we used to give users the "Donor" tag that showed up below their user info doesn't work the same way anymore.  I have a new tag set up that will go to anyone who donates going forward.   I should get a notification when you donate but it is only tied to your email, not your username.  So if I don't get your tag on right away either PM me or send an email to Admin@HuskerBoard.com.
MattyIce

Online Petition Black friday

MattyIce    1,572

I think we are going to have to take this one into our own hands this time guys.

Anyone willing to set something up and we can get it rolling on the internet? I think we could get 250k easy to sign it.

El Diaco    4,297

Here's a link with some decent info about creating an online petition and how to do it successfully. For anyone that is interested in getting the ball rolling.  http://billmoyers.com/story/sign-save-world-online-petitions-explained/. Seems you want to specifically target it and have an endgame in mind before you start. I didn't research it much or read the whole article so there may be better resources.

I think preserving our traditional Black Friday game is worth it. I'd sign it.

MattyIce    1,572
33 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I am just happy we are not getting stuck with 8:30am starts vs Illinois.  

On a Friday, right?

MattyIce    1,572

Someone more intelligent than I, needs to get this going!

I swear, Mike Riley cares about tradition, if he sees there is a petition with even 25k signatures on it, he will change his stance.  I think he just maybe doesn't realize that this is important to the fanbase.

chainsaw    37

I will vote against, keeping the game on friday,  when the game actually meant something, the teams had the weekend off in advance.  only been the last few yrs where it was a short week!  we have enuff injuries; we don't need to ask for more!

Enhance    3,002
13 hours ago, MattyIce said:

I think we are going to have to take this one into our own hands this time guys.

Anyone willing to set something up and we can get it rolling on the internet? I think we could get 250k easy to sign it.

Mmm... I'm doubtful. Most informal polls I've seen are being led by the 'I don't really care' group. Severe's poll has about 1,400 votes and 42% chose "It's fine, don't care."

schriznoeder    101
12 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Mmm... I'm doubtful. Most informal polls I've seen are being led by the 'I don't really care' group. Severe's poll has about 1,400 votes and 42% chose "It's fine, don't care."

Normally, I’d be shocked by those results. But given the lack of apathy around the program lately, I guess they're pretty spot on.

Enhance    3,002
3 minutes ago, schriznoeder said:

Normally, I’d be shocked by those results. But given the lack of apathy around the program lately, I guess they're pretty spot on.

I don't view it as apathy, but it's possible. You could've asked me 15 years ago and my answer would still be that I don't really care.

I might be in a minority in that regard, but it's true for me.

Playing the day after Thanksgiving is something I have always looked forward to. My dad and I would eat leftovers while all the crazies would be out shopping. It's tradition; that's why eliminating it bothers me.

Hoosker    741

I don't care about Black Friday, despite it being played every year of my life.

I'm with Maud.  It's not Oklahoma or Colorado.

They plan on rotating the final week opponent every few years.

It will eventually be Nebraska-Wisconsin and Iowa-Minnesota for a few years.

Thus, completing the quadrangle of hate.  Think bigger picture on this.

knapplc    17,391
8 minutes ago, Street Novelist said:

Playing the day after Thanksgiving is something I have always looked forward to. My dad and I would eat leftovers while all the crazies would be out shopping. It's tradition; that's why eliminating it bothers me.

You'll still have leftovers to eat while people shop on Saturday.

Red Five    2,898
19 minutes ago, The Maudfather said:

Put me in the I don't care camp. Why does it matter if we play on Black Friday? It's not like we're playing Colorado or OU. 

As I said in the other thread:

3 hours ago, Red Five said:

The reason you play on Friday is for the program exposure as you are one of the few games that day.  Saturday means the game is lost in the shuffle behind OSU/Mich, Bama/Aub, Florida/FSU, etc.

El Diaco    4,297

There is a pretty big difference between a poll, especially one with wishy washy choices as posted above, and a well structured and targeted petition. You can't vote against a petition. You can't be lukewarm or wishy washy with a petition. You either sign it or not. If it is written right, targeted to the correct people, gets enogh signatures to garner attention and followed up on, it could make a difference. A poll is not designed to elicit change. Heck, given the choices in that poll above, I probably would've voted "fine, don't care" but I would sign a petition to keep it on Friday and I don't really care that much at this point in time.

I am indifferent and could be convinced either way. I do LOVE the game on black friday and for most of my life the family has made a Thanksgiving tradition out of it. On the other hand, I trust MR and if he feels its best to not play on a short week that late in the season I'll go along with it - just want the best chance to win every week.

Not a fan of the friday night games that the B10 is trying to push for earlier in the season because I don't like the idea of playing conference games on a short week. The B10 used the same reasoning - exposure. Most of us felt that we are a big enough program to not need the friday exposure. The problem for our exposure on the Thanksgiving weekend is who we are playing. Iowa and Minnesota does not spark national interest like OSU/Mich, Bama/Aub, and Florida/FSU. I've always thought we should do something different for that weekend like start conference play in week 3 and play our last game rotating against Oklahoma, Colorado, and/or Missouri, Texas, imo that will never happen though.

The Maudfather    915
1 hour ago, Red Five said:

As I said in the other thread:

You know another good way to get exposure? Compete for conference championships. 

MattyIce    1,572
2 hours ago, The Maudfather said:

Put me in the I don't care camp. Why does it matter if we play on Black Friday? It's not like we're playing Colorado or OU. 

Because people are forced to watch it. No competition for other games. 

knapplc    17,391
10 minutes ago, The Maudfather said:

You know another good way to get exposure? Compete for conference championships. 

This is the whole situation, right here. It's on us to get better.  Good teams play in better TV slots. 

Hoosker    741
5 minutes ago, knapplc said:

This is the whole situation, right here. It's on us to get better.  Good teams play in better TV slots. 

Once again, winning solves everything.

Kiyoat Husker    1,329

^^^ I agree that we were in danger of losing that spot due to the relevance of the teams involved, but the fact that we had been playing on Friday for 27 straight years should count for something.  And our AD and coach shouldn't have given up that privileged time slot without a fight.  That's what pisses me off.

The Maudfather    915
1 hour ago, MattyIce said:

Because people are forced to watch it. No competition for other games. 

Is this truly how far we've fallen as a program? Worrying about not playing on Black Friday because we need exposure? Call me old fashioned, but we're f#*k!ng Nebraska. We don't need an annual Black Friday game to help the brand. 

We need to win.