OU and the other Riley

HIHusker

7 hours ago, HIHusker said:

If we can't get it done at least OU can, the other Riley and the Sooners smashing tOSU at home...Stoops def did not leave the cupboards bare but I tip my hat to the Sooners and their new coach on their win at the 'Shoe, no easy task...baffling we can't do the same

#myhowfarwehavefallen

After watching what Indiana did to Ohio State for about three quarters and what OU did to them, I think we know a lot more about Ohio State than we do about OU.  Hasn't Ohio State given up the most passing yards through two games?  OU basically still has the same staff as a year ago.  Riley is still calling the offensive plays and Mike Stoops is still the DC. 

• Plus1 1
6 hours ago, junior4949 said:

After watching what Indiana did to Ohio State for about three quarters and what OU did to them, I think we know a lot more about Ohio State than we do about OU.  Hasn't Ohio State given up the most passing yards through two games?  OU basically still has the same staff as a year ago.  Riley is still calling the offensive plays and Mike Stoops is still the DC. 

Hence my comment that Stoops did not leaving the cupboards bare: that covers coaching staff as well.  I agree with your points, very valid.  That being said, even when tOSU is only semi-world-beaters winning in Columbus is no small task.  Stoked our true rivals got the job done.  Over the years I've come to respect OU and I cheer for them to stomp UT every year and everyone else in the BIg 12.  Just my 0.02.  Perhaps we can coax Stoops out of retirement....haha

8 hours ago, bugeater17 said:

OU caught tOSU at the right time for both programs. OU has momentum and is hot right now. tOSU is struggling to find an offensive identity and Barrett has been off on his throws of 15+. Unfortunately for us, tOSU will likely find its stride by mid-October... 

Yea, too bad we didnt catch Barrett while he is finding his downfield identity.  Although the way our secondary is playing even if we played them week 1 our D would have made him look like the 2nd coming of John Elway....time to put C McBride and Monte Kiffin on life support and give them the D. 

6 hours ago, HIHusker said:

Hence my comment that Stoops did not leaving the cupboards bare: that covers coaching staff as well.  I agree with your points, very valid.  That being said, even when tOSU is only semi-world-beaters winning in Columbus is no small task.  Stoked our true rivals got the job done.  Over the years I've come to respect OU and I cheer for them to stomp UT every year and everyone else in the BIg 12.  Just my 0.02.  Perhaps we can coax Stoops out of retirement....haha

In 2014, Virginia Tech did almost the exact same thing as OU did.  They went to Columbus the second week of the season and worked over the Buckeyes.  Va Tech went in there unranked while OU went in there ranked in the top 10.  What did we learn about Va Tech in 14'?  Absolutely nothing!  After the win, they enjoyed being ranked for all of one week as they lost at home to East Carolina the following week.  They finished the season 7-6, and they were unranked.  Ohio State went on to win the NC in 14'.  It was a great win for OU, but I don't think we really learned anything other than Ohio State has a couple of areas that need some serious work. 

I guess I don't really understand where you're coming from with regards to not leaving the cupboard bare when compared to us.  Were there assistants on Bo's staff you wanted retained?  Callahan's staff?  Solich's staff?  Basically what OU has done is almost exactly what we did back in 98' when TO retired.  Considering we ended the 99' season ranked #2 and played for a NC in 01', it appeared we were in great shape right?  I'm not saying Lincoln Riley will flame out, but I'm also not willing to put him on a pedestal just yet because of one good win.       

• Plus1 1

51 minutes ago, Pedro Guerrero said:

The true test of how good Lincoln Riley is will come next year when he no longer has maybe the best player in the nation leading his team.

Mayfield looks like Houdini in the pocket.  His ability to extend a play and throw strikes while scrambling is fun to watch. 

OU has been a consistent top 20 recruiter.  That's where we need to go to be relevant again.  MR has done a good job improving our recruiting and while this years class might be smaller and therefor not ranked as high, having six 4 stars(out of ten players committed) is more than several classes ranked in the top 20, including OU and UCLA who are both top 10 right now and only have five 4 stars a piece. 

• Plus1 1