Husker offensive line play 'just average' vs. Oregon

Enhance

One of the dead horses I've been beating for awhile around here is o-line play. This article is perhaps the most frustrating for me to personally read out of everything from this past weekend.

Nebraska’s line gave up three sacks Saturday, and pressure in quarterback Tanner Lee’s face led to the last of his four interceptions, which ended Nebraska’s chance at a comeback.

Coach Mike Riley, offensive coordinator Danny Langsdorf and line coach Mike Cavanaugh all offered lukewarm reviews of the line play against the Ducks.

Too many hits on the quarterback, they said. Not good enough. Not even close.

“Just average,” Cavanaugh said. “We gotta get better.”

OWH

• Plus1 2

I don't think the OL play against Oregon was all that bad.  Conrad is average at best - like several of our previous centers he'll be better in the games he doesn't have a NG right on top of him.  I've been disappointed in Farmer - not so much physically but mentally/communication-wise something isn't working.  The rest I though played pretty well against Oregon.

On a couple of the big plays we screwed ourselves by trying to be too cute with our protection.  On the play mentioned above, there was nothing wrong with what the OL did.  But for some reason we didn't want to have them just do their base pass pro.  We had to slide the entire line left so Farniok was to ignore the DE right in front of him in favor of blocking nobody and we expected a TE to come across the formation and pick him up.  Got there too late and the rest is history. 

We did the same thing on a screen play earlier in the game.  For whatever reason we pulled Foster away from where we were going throw the screen - blocking nobody.  Then we didn't have anyone there to pick up a blitzing LB and it blew up the play.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I don't think the OL play against Oregon was all that bad.  Conrad is average at best - like several of our previous centers he'll be better in the games he doesn't have a NG right on top of him.  I've been disappointed in Farmer - not so much physically but mentally/communication-wise something isn't working.  The rest I though played pretty well against Oregon.

On a couple of the big plays we screwed ourselves by trying to be too cute with our protection.  On the play mentioned above, there was nothing wrong with what the OL did.  But for some reason we didn't want to have them just do their base pass pro.  We had to slide the entire line left so Farniok was to ignore the DE right in front of him in favor of blocking nobody and we expected a TE to come across the formation and pick him up.  Got there too late and the rest is history. 

We did the same thing on a screen play earlier in the game.  For whatever reason we pulled Foster away from where we were going throw the screen - blocking nobody.  Then we didn't have anyone there to pick up a blitzing LB and it blew up the play.

I think some of the reason we were running play action at the end of the game is Wilbon has no clue in pass protection and it helps him in his assignment.  Hence the not typical pass pro.  Screens plays you typically punch and release interior DL and release to the 2nd level.  If they blitz a LB that is awesome bc you can just give them quick resistance and it removes the 2nd level defenders.  Should hit big time if you can get your screen off in the face of a blitz.  

Just now, swmohusker said:

I think some of the reason we were running play action at the end of the game is Wilbon has no clue in pass protection and it helps him in his assignment.  Hence the not typical pass pro.  Screens plays you typically punch and release interior DL and release to the 2nd level.  If they blitz a LB that is awesome bc you can just give them quick resistance and it removes the 2nd level defenders.  Should hit big time if you can get your screen off in the face of a blitz.  

Running play action has nothing to do with sliding the protection like we did.

Yeah, the screen would have been great had we left Foster there to chip on the LB instead of pulling him to block no one.

5 minutes ago, huskerfan120889 said:

So are we getting to the point where we're starting to see our coaches are average, our AD is average, and our program is average? 

It shouldn't take a footbal genius to figure this stuff out, especially since the coaches have been together forever. 

They fit in well with some of our average fans.

• Plus1 7
7 minutes ago, knapplc said:

They fit in well with some of our average fans.

Good Sir, I will have you know we have THE greatest fans in college football. 

0668790b95dfbdc98f1f84877ae2b82a.jpg

All the best fans. Huge fans. 

---

As for the topic at hand, I think once the line learns their assignments better, this will clear up. Problem is, this should have been clear since the first game of the season, and we saw similar mistakes re: blown assignments from the same folks in two games so far. 

• Plus1 2

To that point @VectorVictor, the other problem for me is this is a relatively experienced group who has (mostly) been with the same offensive coaches for two full seasons and part of a third. If you looked at this line just based on their combined number of starts and age, and took away their names and who they'd play for, a lot of people would think 'hey, that group should be pretty good if not one of the better lines in the B1G.'

That said, their story hasn't been written yet and Mav is right. I don't think they've been all that bad. I think they've been average to above average this season, and conceptually, that's been a problem around here for some time. Have we had better than a ~9-win line? I would argue no.

Man, the o-line makes me pretty doom and gloom. :facepalm:

• Plus1 2

33 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I agree.  Now, I'm not surprised the coaches are saying these things.  They are trying to light a fire under them.  But, our O line played better than "average".  Yes, there were a few break downs that were frustrating.  There is room for improvement.

The last play was very frustrating.  Just to be clear, that was a tight end that allowed that pressure.

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

The last play was very frustrating.  Just to be clear, that was a tight end that allowed that pressure.

Yes.  But we're not just asking him to make a run-of-the mill play.  From where he was lined up, Hoppes has almost as far to go to get in front of the OLB as the OLB has to go to get to Lee.  We left ourselves no margin for error.  Why can't we just have Farniok block the OLB on his side and Hoppes help of the OLB right next to him?

sfBweSS.png

3 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Yes.  But we're not just asking him to make a run-of-the mill play.  From where he was lined up, Hoppes has almost as far to go to get in front of the OLB as the OLB has to go to get to Lee.  We left ourselves no margin for error.  Why can't we just have Farniok block the OLB on his side and Hoppes help of the OLB right next to him?

sfBweSS.png

Well....rewatching the play, I think Farniok actually screwed up.  If you look, he literally blocks nobody.

Think about who you have on the line.  You have Gates at LT who is a seasoned vet.  You have Farniok making his first start at RT.  Both have to reach and block an OLB.  I would prefer Hoppes to help Farniok and trust that Gates can take care of his OLB himself.  Problem was, Farniok crashed inside to help block the inside D lineman that is actually lined up on the inside shoulder of the guard.  

If he would have gone after the OLB and then Hoppes would have been there just to help....it would have probably been way better protection.

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Well....rewatching the play, I think Farniok actually screwed up.  If you look, he literally blocks nobody.

Think about who you have on the line.  You have Gates at LT who is a seasoned vet.  You have Farniok making his first start at RT.  Both have to reach and block an OLB.  I would prefer Hoppes to help Farniok and trust that Gates can take care of his OLB himself.  Problem was, Farniok crashed inside to help block the inside D lineman that is actually lined up on the inside shoulder of the guard.  

If he would have gone after the OLB and then Hoppes would have been there just to help....it would have probably been way better protection.

No, he didn't screw up.  Watch the entire line.  Everyone slides their protection left.  That's why Hoppes is brought across the formation to pick up the other side that the entire line slides away from.

I realize Farniok didn't block anyone.  But that doesn't mean he isn't doing what he's supposed to do.

• Plus1 1