Husker offensive line play 'just average' vs. Oregon

Enhance

53 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Running play action has nothing to do with sliding the protection like we did.

Yeah, the screen would have been great had we left Foster there to chip on the LB instead of pulling him to block no one.

Maybe the slide protection was meant to look like the counter run play with pulling TE? The down block by Farniok could draw in the LB and safeties. But maybe that's too cute as you say, since instead Lee gets hit.

Just now, RedDenver said:

Maybe the slide protection was meant to look like the counter run play with pulling TE? The down block by Farniok could draw in the LB and safeties. But maybe that's too cute as you say, since instead Lee gets hit.

Exactly.  It's a play-action fake that's supposed to look like the counter play we've run a lot of.  Which is fine in some situations.  But when there's about two minutes to play and you have to score a TD, the defense isn't going to care about the run fake.

• Plus1 1
Just now, Mavric said:

Exactly.  It's a play-action fake that's supposed to look like the counter play we've run a lot of.  Which is fine in some situations.  But when there's about two minutes to play and you have to score a TD, the defense isn't going to care about the run fake.

Yep. That only works on old video games where the D has no situational awareness

2 minutes ago, Mavric said:

No, he didn't.  Watch the entire line.  Everyone slides their protection left.  That's why Hoppes is brought across the formation to pick up the other side that the entire line slides away from.

I realize Farniok didn't block anyone.  But that doesn't mean he isn't doing what he's supposed to do.

Well....technically, then both Farniok and Hoppes were doing what they were supposed to do.  Hoppes just lost the battle.  I would prefer a play where Farniok and Hoppes are taking on the OLB when you look at how the D was lined up.

Just now, BigRedBuster said:

Well....technically, then both Farniok and Hoppes were doing what they were supposed to do.  Hoppes just lost the battle.  I would prefer a play where Farniok and Hoppes are taking on the OLB when you look at how the D was lined up.

Yes, Hoppes was doing what he was supposed to do.  He was just put in a very tough spot with no margin for error.  He had to come across the formation and stonewall an OLB who had a five yard run at him.  And he physically could not get there any faster to give himself a cushion in front of Lee.

20 minutes ago, Mavric said:

You can definitely run with 2 minutes left, especially in college where the clock stops on first downs. Maybe that play is more effective if we first run the ball to show Oregon that they can't just ignore the run threat.

8 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

You can definitely run with 2 minutes left, especially in college where the clock stops on first downs. Maybe that play is more effective if we first run the ball to show Oregon that they can't just ignore the run threat.

I realize you CAN run.  But the defense is going to take their chances with that.  Even if they give up 7-8 yards and trade that for 30 seconds off the clock, they'll take it.

• Plus1 1

Honestly, 'average' O-line play is at least enough to get them away from being my #1 concern with this team. Obviously still I want to see better, but OLBs & pass rush have taken over as my biggest concern...

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I realize you CAN run.  But the defense is going to take their chances with that.  Even if they give up 7-8 yards and trade that for 30 seconds off the clock, they'll take it.

A few 7-8 yard runs (which don't take 30 seconds if you're in hurry up, especially if any of them result in 1st downs) is what I think you'd need to setup the play you're analyzing, So IMO the play isn't terrible, but you've got to either call it when the defense is at least thinking run or set it up on that drive so that you get them thinking run.

• Plus1 1
35 minutes ago, Mavric said:

We made it much tougher on ourselves than we had to.

We all know why Riley, Langsdorf, and Cavanaugh like to go with a deception-based offense (even with their blocking schemes), it's because they have never felt they could line up across the other team and whip them physically.  They couldn't do that at Oregon State, because they felt they were always at the talent disadvantage.  Now, they are at Nebraska, I would think they would have a physical advantage over a lot of teams, yet they still prefer to "trick" defenses and do things cute.  What I liked about the first half of last year is that they stopped getting cute (because being cute didn't work in 2015), and they physically wore teams down.  Yes, the 2nd half of last year the offense fizzled due to injuries on the o-line, the QB, and other key spots.  Now, that Langsdorf has their passing QB they want, they go back to being cute.

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, Husker from Kansas said:

Honestly I kind of blame Lee for this. While the protection is no the greatest, if he just steps up in the pocket he can make an unpressured throw

The WR had broken free and he needed to get the ball out.  If he steps up and releases the ball a few seconds later, the window of opportunity could have been gone.  

• Plus1 1