'Mansplaining'

9 minutes ago, Kiyoat Husker said:

Here's a possible reason why woman-splaining could technically be a thing, but isn't invoked:

Someone being weak, helpless and dumb  and needing correction isn't a male stereotype, its a female stereotype.

You seriously have never heard a woman (wife, boyfriend..etc.)  describe a man (husband, boyfriend...etc.) like that?

Have you been hermetically sealed in a mayonnaise jar on Funk and Wagnall's porch your entire life?

57 minutes ago, knapplc said:

The vast majority of my professional life has been spent working with >75% women. In my current employment, until recently I was the only male in my office, and it had been that way for years.  Now it's about 60/40 women-to-men.

Further, just about everything I know about football I learned from my mom. Same with cooking - mom & grandma.  My dad is a good cook but didn't teach me, and he didn't really like football much until he moved to Nebraska & mom educated him. 

So to me the concept of patronizing a woman because she's a woman, as in, presuming superiority over her because of her gender & mine, is pretty farfetched.  I am aware of the plight of women in the world and how *some* men behave toward them because I am a normal human & I have the same general knowledge everyone has, but to tell me that my gender is guilty of this is simply wrong.  SOME of my gender is, but it's not common enough to dedicate a 5+ page thread about haggling over the definition, that much I can tell you.

No one accused you of mansplaining. The word refers to a specific man doing a specific thing at a specific point of time.

As for your "from whose point of view?" comment, I really don't know what planet someone has to have been living on to think women assume men are stupid/ignorant in the same frequency as the reverse.

I was in Odyssey of the Mind in 6th grade. I think the way my school picked teams was based on us being good at math and science. I dont remember for sure.

Anyway, on my team there were half girls and half boys. The dad of one of the boys was in charge. I was excited because our project was to design cars and have them do specific things on a track. I even drew up a diagram for an idea I had.

Next meeting found out that the girls would be deciding what we would wear during the competition and the boys would be designing and building the cars.

This is just one experience I've had.

So someone thinking that men don't even talk to women like they're stupid/ignorant at a higher rate than the reverse is a bit shocking to me. What I think is fairly common for women seems pretty rare for men. 2 brothers isn't a big enough sample size but nothing like that ever happened to them.

I thought this was an intuitively obvious truth in society.

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Did it change you forever?

Have I made a claim in this topic that any single one of these things has a huge effect on women? Or me?

Have I claimed that having someone "mansplain" something to me has changed me?

Please stop being ridiculous and downplaying out of hand things other people have experienced. Maybe re-read some of the posts I've made where I never said I cut myself due to any of these things.

• Plus1 1
Just now, Moiraine said:

Have I made a claim in this topic that any single one of these things has a huge effect on women? Or me?

Please stop being ridiculous and downplaying out of hand things other people have experienced.

Alright, fine.

Also, knapp, I take issue with your summary of this topic. It's not a 5 page topic dedicated to the term. We've covered multiple topics related to sexism. Without counting I believe there were less than 10 posts about the term "mansplaining" until you replied today. Maybe less than 5.

We've had what I think is a lot of good conversation about various things and you're writing it all off as bulls#!t.

9 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Please stop being ridiculous and downplaying out of hand things other people have experienced. Maybe re-read some of the posts I've made where I never said I cut myself due to any of these things.

Image result for wide eyed gif

24 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

No one accused you of mansplaining. The word refers to a specific man doing a specific thing at a specific point of time.

As for your "from whose point of view?" comment, I really don't know what planet someone has to have been living on to think women assume men are stupid/ignorant in the same frequency as the reverse.

I was in Odyssey of the Mind in 6th grade. I think the way my school picked teams was based on us being good at math and science. I dont remember for sure.

Anyway, on my team there were half girls and half boys. The dad of one of the boys was in charge. I was excited because our project was to design cars and have them do specific things on a track. I even drew up a diagram for an idea I had.

Next meeting found out that the girls would be deciding what we would wear during the competition and the boys would be designing and building the cars.

This is just one experience I've had.

So someone thinking that men don't even talk to women like they're stupid/ignorant at a higher rate than the reverse is a bit shocking to me. What I think is fairly common for women seems pretty rare for men. 2 brothers isn't a big enough sample size but nothing like that ever happened to them.

I thought this was an intuitively obvious truth in society.

Frequency isn't relevant to this conversation. 

You seem to be saying "Sexism exists, therefore this phrase is OK."  That's not true.  This phrase can be stupid and sexism can exist. 

3 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

You're acting like I did by making that post.

Nah, the gif was "the face I made" when you threw the "cut myself" comment in that post. Caught me off guard.

You have said numerous times in this thread that you're not sensitive to most of the stuff we've talked about.

The original "did it change you forever" post was made with tongue-in-cheek. But context over a message board...isn't always interpreted correctly.

3 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Frequency isn't relevant to this conversation. 

You seem to be saying "Sexism exists, therefore this phrase is OK."  That's not true.  This phrase can be stupid and sexism can exist. 

If frequency isn't relevant, then you should have replied with that in the first place. Not said "according to who?" (or whatever the exact statement was). I'm okay with the argument frequency doesnt matter in this context. But what I'm replying to is your statement "according to who," which I read to mean that you don't think it's more frequent for men to do it to women.

And no, that's not what I'm saying.

1 minute ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Nah, the gif was "the face I made" when you threw the "cut myself" comment in that post. Caught me off guard.

You have said numerous times in this thread that you're not sensitive to most of the stuff we've talked about.

The original "did it change you forever" post was made with tongue-in-cheek. But context over a message board...isn't always interpreted correctly.

By "that post" I meant the one asking if I was changed by it. Not the gif.