'Mansplaining'

Ha!  That is funny!  Cam is a moron.

It is sort of odd though how we are all so quick to question some professions but not others.  like, most of us question doctors all the time even though we know nothing about medicine and surgery...we question cops all the time...teachers all the time...athletes and coaches.  But like...we hardly ever question IT people (because we are scared that they won't help up when Control-Alt-Delete doesn't work)...we never question firemen (cause they are hot)...I never question a mechanic or carpenter because they could tell me anything I would would assume they are correct.  

It's a logical fallacy. Sure, there are some benefits to having played the game, but I think women could be very successful as coaches if given the opportunity.

That said, I do think sexism would be a considerable problem, at least to some degree. Some NFL players already struggle respecting their coaches because they're making multiple times their salary. It's more of a 'me' personality now more than ever. I just don't think a lot of the players are mature enough to handle adding a female personality in there.

• Plus1 1

Two other sides to that though are the legions of football fans who bristle (or are outraged) by the heat Cam is taking...

...as well as how this will confirm a lot of the lousy, racist sentiments about Cam, a prominent black athlete, and his behavior when misogyny as bad or worse is dropped on the daily. As with a lot of things, society is more forgiving when you don’t “look like a thug” and a lot more eager to jump on you when you do. 

An interesting subset of the people happy to take this chance to pile on Cam are still inventing ways to defend the President’s “locker room talk.”

2 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Now, I wonder, if this had been one of those cute 10 year old kids that asked him the same question...and he reacted the same exact way...what then?  I wonder what people would be saying today.  

I'd like you to think for a few minutes about this question you're asking.

And state why you're wondering.

Do you think people should react the same way if someone's saying this to a 10 year old kid vs an adult woman?

• Plus1 2

Just now, Moiraine said:

I'd like you to think for a few minutes about this question you're asking.

Okay...I did that.  

So I wonder, again, would people be mad at him?  I think it was a stupid answer the first time, to the female reporter.  Had he sort of "dressed down" a kid reporter, done the "Ha...it is funny hearing a little kid talk about routes" would he be getting creamed today?  

2 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Okay...I did that.  

So I wonder, again, would people be mad at him?  I think it was a stupid answer the first time, to the female reporter.  Had he sort of "dressed down" a kid reporter, done the "Ha...it is funny hearing a little kid talk about routes" would he be getting creamed today?  

Do you think people should react the same way if it's said to a 10 year old?

• Plus1 2
Just now, Moiraine said:

Do you think people should react the same way if it's said to a 10 year old?

I really don't know.  I think, this is just a guess, that there would be some people that would think it was him trying to be "cute" you know?  But I think that since it would be a kid asking...that he would be crucified today.  

What do you think?

7 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I really don't know.  I think, this is just a guess, that there would be some people that would think it was him trying to be "cute" you know?  But I think that since it would be a kid asking...that he would be crucified today.  

What do you think?

I think it's okay for him to make that reply and be cute to a kid. When 10 year old kids are knowledgeable or seem knowledgeable about something many 10 year olds aren't, it's impressive and surprising. Because they're a young kid.

The same response by Cam isn't appropriate to an adult female sports reporter. It's no longer cute, it's patronizing.

I don't know what grade you teach - in fact I think I've seen you say you're not a teacher and then later say you are, but imagine you are an elementary teacher and people are surprised and giggle that you know anything about educational psychology for kids because you're a man. Because most elementary teachers are women.

• Plus1 1
Just now, Moiraine said:

I think it's okay for him to make that reply and be cute to a kid. When 10 year old kids are knowledgeable or seem knowledgeable about something many 10 year olds aren, it's impressive and surprising.

The same response by Cam isn't appropriate to an adult female sports reporter. It's no longer cute, it's patronizing.

I totally agree that his response was stupid and not appropriate and I wasn't trying to say it was okay.   He sounded like an idiot.

I am just wondering if he sort of did the same thing to a kid if people would freak.  I think there would be a big portion that would.   I suppose it might depend on HOW it came off, you know?

I think back to Frank Martin and this:  

That was awesome!

Now...if Cam did what he did to a kid asking about routes...I think Cam would be raked over the coals today.  

Well, this took a really ugly turn.

Before I get into it, I'm not implying that this is directly related to sexism - there have been way too many people of all walks of life who have been unjust victims of the social media mob, but this is a very unfortunate turn of events in this story.

People, Carolina fans, bitter man-babies, who knows? went searching through Jourdan's twitter archive, and found some (I think, fairly innocuous) "racist" tweets from five years ago and dug them up in order to shame the reporter that made the quarterback look bad. Ignoring the fact that the tweets seem harmless (one was a retweet, someone else's content, that had the 'n' word in it, and two were about her dad being racist on a road trip), and that our cultural narrative has shifted and progressed a lot in the last 5 years, this is social media at it's worst.

• Plus1 1

My vote would be bitter-man babies.

Cam made himself look like an idiot with his choice and now ass clowns feel it's necessary to bring it full circle back on the reporter. It'd be one thing if she sought out Cam to make him look like an idiot but she didn't. She asked him a question.

She could be the most racist person in the world. That doesn't change or impact Cam's words in any way, in my opinion.

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, Enhance said:

My vote would be bitter-man babies.

Cam made himself look like an idiot with his choice and now ass clowns feel it's necessary to bring it full circle back on the reporter. It'd be one thing if she sought out Cam to make him look like an idiot but she didn't. She asked him a question.

She could be the most racist person in the world. That doesn't change or impact Cam's words in any way, in my opinion.

This is a really good point.  If these tweets are racist (no clue because I didn't see them) then well she is a racist loser but like you said...still doesn't change what Cam said.

He made a fool out of himself...

• Plus1 2

So....let me get this straight.  She was in a press conference with Cam, she asked a professional question about the sport.  Cam was a total jackass to her....showing the true type of man he is......and now SHE is the one being attacked?

It amazes me how I can be so surprised day in and day out in this world we live in.

Whoever dug up those is a disgusting idiot because their only purpose was to denigrate her and take the heat off of how he treated her in a professional situation.

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

So....let me get this straight.  She was in a press conference with Cam, she asked a professional question about the sport.  Cam was a total jackass to her....showing the true type of man he is......and now SHE is the one being attacked?

This is 100% accurate.