Does Pro Style only work with supreme talent????

bhunt7

12 minutes ago, bhunt7 said:

I

That's why I didn t say "offensive style". I said scheme. The pro style scheme is archaic. Give your opinion or don't post on this topic.

This is your headline no?

Does Pro Style only work with supreme talent????

Also I did give my opinion.  

Mike Riley is that you???

3 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

This is your headline no?

Also I did give my opinion.  

Mike Riley is that you???

Pro style is the name of the scheme! Pro stlye, west coast, spread offense, spread/air raid, etc. This topic isn't about stlyle or flash. That should be obvious.

Regardless, this thread isn't about style, it's about scheme. Can we win with a pro style scheme?

Wisconsin. Iowa. MSU. They run their offenses differently than we do but those are all pro schemes. Heck, Chryst and Wisconsin probably run some of the exact same concepts as us. Playbook isn't the problem.  The way that our playbook is used by our coaches considering our players is a problem. We also need some big nasties up front that are better than our current oline  play 

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Nebfanatic said:

Wisconsin. Iowa. MSU. They run their offenses differently than we do but those are all pro schemes. Heck, Chryst and Wisconsin probably run some of the exact same concepts as us. Playbook isn't the problem. 

Wisconsin is actually able to run the ball and they consistently have NFL linemen and NFL RB's.  NU has no idea what it's like to run the ball under Riley, Langsdorf, and Cavanaugh.

Iowa's offense is usually pretty mediocre, even with NFL linemen.

Michigan State's offense was it's best a few years ago with NFL QB's, WR's, and RB's.

So, just like the title of the thread, a pro-style offense requires supreme talent, either on the line, at QB, at WR, at RB or most of the above.

The Pro-Style system is good for the NFL, not so much for College.  Essentially you have MR and DL who believe this system will work at the collegiate level despite their many years of failing at it at Oregon State.  I honestly feel like Langsdorf is more concerned about helping a guy get drafted in the NFL than leading his offensive unit to success.  

• Plus1 1
Just now, Hans Gruber said:

I think it can work, but you need more pieces and more things to go right for it to be successful. Like you mentioned, that's why only teams like USC, Michigan and Florida State run it.

USC is having success under Darnauld because he isn't a statue and can make great throws and has great talent around him.

Michigan relies on it's defense to win most games and having the offense just "score enough".

Florida State runs a lot of spread and has talent all over the field.

The problem with a "pro-style" offense, especially the way Riley and Langsdorf run it is that it doesn't have an identity.  When there is a tough game where the offense needs to step back and say "we are going to do what we do best", there isn't a specific thing that they can go to.

Wisconsin does have an identity, where they are going to rely on running the ball and being physical with their o-line.  They let NU back in the game last year when they let their QB try to make a couple plays and he threw 2 INT's.