What did we learn-Game 3 NIU

JJ Husker

1.  Our OL definitely took several steps backwards yesterday.  Heck I thought they looked better last year with less experience taboot.  Not a good performance in pass pro as well as run blocking.  Just horrible.

2.  Yeah Langsdorf should be fired too.  (Along with SE and the entire coaching staff)  Go find a position coaching job somewhere.   

3.  The defense seemed to do better but NIU doesn't exactly have a barn burning offense either so the jury is still out as far as the D is concerned imo.

4.  Despite the one mishandled handoff Wilbon looked good in his first start ever and did what he could with what he was given and despite the OL's poor run blocking performance yesterday.  He's tough and even showed he can lower that shoulder and shuck off defenders with it.  His short screen that turned into a 19 yard gain that got called back (holding NU OL) was easily the best looking play of the year by any rb.  Nice 25 yard run too again with not much run lane wise to work with.

5.  This team is literally a hair away from being 0-3.  Let that sink in.  

6.  Patrick O'Brien should start next week.  Tanner Lee's tendencies have not changed and if anything he's seemingly gotten worse from his days at Tulane.   Don't believe the hype.

7.  Wilbon needs to catch more passes and be used out in space/on the edge more.  Again Langsdorf.

8.  If it weren't for Stanley Morgan Jr. this offense would truly be in the sh%$ house.

9.  Either Scott Booker isn't doing his job or DPE truly does not get it as far as his decision making goes as a punt returner.

10.  We still have the volleyball team.  Yeah.  That's where we're at.

Ugh. 

I loved how intense the DLine was and they got pretty good pressure with just the 3 of them and did a good job again all around.

I thought Morgan was done for the season when he was down in the endzone grabbing his knee. So grateful it wasn't as serious as it looked.

I'm currently rewatching the game. Down 14-0, near the start of the 2nd quarter, they were driving the ball right down our throats. I actually forgot why they didn't score that drive as it was happening (missed FG), but they even executed the trick play pretty well. If the throw was a little deeper, I think we go down 21-0.

Which makes me hesitant to say the defense did a good job. They did alright in the big picture, only giving up 7 points, but it still seems like they struggled when it mattered and gave up a lot of cushion. I don't know what to expect the rest of the way. The team seems mentally fragile in a lot of places and I'm worried there might be some quit after a game like today.

14 hours ago, The Murphinator said:

Tanner Lee must be color blind because he is always throwing it to the other team. Also, the defense was better, but couldn't get the big stop when it mattered most.

The defense gave up only seven points and ~250 total yards. They did what they were asked to do and, right now, are the only strength on this team. Slagging on the defense for giving up seven points total is completely ridiculous.

44 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

The defense gave up only seven points and ~250 total yards. They did what they were asked to do and, right now, are the only strength on this team. Slagging on the defense for giving up seven points total is completely ridiculous.

I stated the defense was better last week. But those 7 points came at a time when they needed to get a stop. The D has to step up when it counts too.

14 hours ago, Hunter94 said:

Riley mentioned that his OL guys looked confused...........that's on Cav!

If it's on Cav and he isn't getting the job done, then why TF is he still being allowed to coach the O-Line?

Shuffle coaches around to cover for Cav, or have Cav go coach Special Teams (it can't get much worse, to be honest) so he has something to do. 

One thing I've been pondering: Does Riley's sideline demeanor during the moments of adversity reflect the team's reaction to adversity?

I ask in earnest. I don't know. It just seems like everyone on our sideline folded after the first quarter. 

How does this team come out of the tunnel dead after Oregon, without that fire-in-the-belly determination to curb stomp Northern Illinois? I want to wait until this season is over to really cast judgment on this...I really, really do...but I'm just so frustrated with what I perceive to possibly be a lack of motivation by Riley to actually be the best

"We had a good week of practice," and "the kids had fun" are things you actually hear from him mid to late-week. No, Mike; turn these kids into steel. Tell them what that red 'N' on the side of their helmets represent. Tell them you're going to come out of the locker room and send the other team home with their heads in their hands. 

I'm just not seeing this mentality from this staff, and I'm therefore not seeing it from the team.

1 minute ago, Undone said:

"We had a good week of practice," and "the kids had fun" are things you actually hear from him mid to late-week. No, Mike; turn these kids into steel. Tell them what that red 'N' on the side of their helmets represent. Tell them you're going to come out of the locker room and send the other team home with their heads in their hands. 

I'm just not seeing this mentality from this staff, and I'm therefore not seeing it from the team.

Mike doesn't know. It's as simple as that.

Remember the BTN guys talking about how laid back practices were when he got here, and how it seemed that there was no sense of urgency?

The culture of Oregon State accepted losing, and being an average team was ok with them. That's his culture, and it's what he brought over here when he was hired.

• Plus1 2