What did we learn-Game 3 NIU

JJ Husker

And remember Banker's comments after the Iowa game last year? I believe it was something along the lines of, "Their practices must be hell; they hit so hard."

Come on, Mike. Fight for this thing. Take over the play calling. Maybe get a little excited on the sidelines, just to get guys pumped up. I'm not saying there's a bucket of right things to do and a bucket of wrong things to do and that Riley's only choosing from the "wrong bucket."

But do something differently this next week. S***, maybe do the opposite of what you've done the first three games. Do something differently, because honestly, Arkansas State almost tied the game up in week one. We're really not that far away from actually being 0-3.

• Plus1 2

You know that NU started 1-2 in 2015. But here’s a trivia question for you: When is the last time the Huskers had a negative point differential (points allowed > points scored) after three games? 

It wasn’t 2015 — NU throttled South Alabama between the losses to BYU and Miami.

It wasn’t 1981, another 1-2 start. Nebraska was plus-11 through three games.

The answer: 1960, when Nebraska was minus-14. Bill Jennings finished 4-6 that season. The next season, he actually started 2-0-1 before the roof caved in.

OWH

• Plus1 1

I saw an article from Landof10 this week. Of the 11 linemen Cav has recruited, only 1 has really played much so far. He is continuing to play the guys Cotton recruited because they are the older guys. 

Also, if you watch the film from the game on Saturday and at Oregon, our offensive problems are largely on blocking and holding blocks. The TE's are atrocious at coverage protection and blocks. The O-Line are getting beat right and left by guys who rush up the lanes. It's pathetic looking. Farniok got beat over and over, farmer got beat over and over, and just about every one of the other guys got beat at times too. Lee had no chance to look downfield or to go through progressions. He had no chance to find a checkdown because he was hit before he even got back through his drop. 

This line has not improved, but digressed in their last 12 games. Last year, we dismissed poor play to injuries and lack of depth but this year it has continued. That tells me it's coaching. Even if you lack talent, the players should get better with experience and not worse. Perhaps Cav is teaching a bad technique? Perhaps the footwork is off? Or perhaps we are really thin with talent and had some misses? Regardless, our players should be growing and I just don't see it. 

I'll tell you what I learned from what I saw from the SC/Tex game (from what I saw around the big fight).

Like I always preach; the battle is won in the trenches. Tex was in the game because they found a way to pressure D'Arnold. When SC's O-line held strong, Their offense was as explosive as usual.

Tex's offense was only effective late because SC's D-line looked gassed, and couldn't pressure that QB. Time=$$$ in the pocket.

Another major observation. You NEED a QB that can move in college. No matter how great your O-line is, they are unpredictable at times, and both team's QB's made unbelievable plays w/ their feet to either escape pressure and run for a 1st down/TD, or scramble out of pressure and make a remarkable throw.

19 hours ago, girlknowsfootball said:

I saw an article from Landof10 this week. Of the 11 linemen Cav has recruited, only 1 has really played much so far. He is continuing to play the guys Cotton recruited because they are the older guys. 

Also, if you watch the film from the game on Saturday and at Oregon, our offensive problems are largely on blocking and holding blocks. The TE's are atrocious at coverage protection and blocks. The O-Line are getting beat right and left by guys who rush up the lanes. It's pathetic looking. Farniok got beat over and over, farmer got beat over and over, and just about every one of the other guys got beat at times too. Lee had no chance to look downfield or to go through progressions. He had no chance to find a checkdown because he was hit before he even got back through his drop. 

This line has not improved, but digressed in their last 12 games. Last year, we dismissed poor play to injuries and lack of depth but this year it has continued. That tells me it's coaching. Even if you lack talent, the players should get better with experience and not worse. Perhaps Cav is teaching a bad technique? Perhaps the footwork is off? Or perhaps we are really thin with talent and had some misses? Regardless, our players should be growing and I just don't see it. 

Damon Benning talked a little bit about it all during his breakdown on Unsportsmanlike Conduct yesterday. In particular, he was asked about the second interception that involved a good pass rush from NIU on the left side of the line:

DB's transcript: "Have you (John Bishop) ever seen a tight end release for a pattern inside the tackle? It just doesn't happen. I'm thinking Gates should step inside cause you usually go inside out with your normal linemen rules, and then Hoppes chips on the outside and then he releases. Hoppes is trying to get out the best way he can. But, unless it's a screen, you'll never see a receiver type release inside of a tackle. I think it was miscommunication. It starts with Gates who didn't play well at all, but for the most part, it shouldn't be that complicated. Stay five on five, let Hoppes seal the edge, after he chips, let him leak out. You don't get underneath the tackle on a play like that."