What did we learn-Game 3 NIU

JJ Husker

1 minute ago, Enhance said:

They should be better and this unit has had the most inexcusable performance so far this season. They've looked average, and on Saturday, they looked downright bad. It's not just a physical thing, either - they sometimes look like they don't know what they're supposed to be doing.

Damon Benning talked a little bit about it during his breakdown on Unsportsmanlike Conduct yesterday. In particular, he was asked about the second interception that involved a good pass rush from NIU on the left side of the line:

DB's transcript: "Have you (John Bishop) ever seen a tight end release for a pattern inside the tackle? It just doesn't happen. I'm thinking Gates should step inside cause you usually go inside out with your normal linemen rules, and then Hoppes chips on the outside and then he releases. Hoppes is trying to get out the best way he can. But, unless it's a screen, you'll never see a receiver type release inside of a tackle. I think it was miscommunication. It starts with Gates who didn't play well at all, but for the most part, it shouldn't be that complicated. Stay five on five, let Hoppes seal the edge, after he chips, let him leak out. You don't get underneath the tackle on a play like that."

There was definitely some sort of miscommunication.  Here's what I said in another thread:

I'd REALLY like to know what went on right before the snap here.  Second pick six.  Gates turned around, motions with his hand and says something to Hoppes, who is lined up just outside in a wing spot.  Hoppes then folds inside, seemingly looking to block while Gates sets up outside the DE.  But the DE rushes inside - right towards Hoppes.  But Hoppes never even looks at him.  Instead he releases into the pattern.  But the DE has beaten Gates inside, gets the hit on Lee and causes the INT.  It sure looks to me like Gates motions Hoppes to block inside - which  he does - but Gates is expecting help inside which never comes.

Interesting note from Keith Williams.

Someone asked him about the best receivers not being in the game on key plays.  That has been brought up in previous years about Westerkamp, etc. but I've never seen anyone ask a coach about it.

Williams response was that certain plays are repped during practice that week with certain specific players running those plays.  So apparently if a certain play is called, they'll put those guys in the game for that play - no matter what the situation is.

• Plus1 1
16 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Someone asked him about the best receivers not being in the game on key plays.  That has been brought up in previous years about Westerkamp, etc. but I've never seen anyone ask a coach about it.

Williams response was that certain plays are repped during practice that week with certain specific players running those plays.  So apparently if a certain play is called, they'll put those guys in the game for that play - no matter what the situation is.

Giving yet another tell

Don't know if any of this has been mentioned yet:

I learned that Decker should get more playing time at center(like all the playing time).

I learned that this staff was close to playing Boe WIlson as a true freshman yet he isn't playing this year even though the guy in front of him has been playing kind of poopy.

I learned that are WR rotation maybe needs to be cut down to 3-4 (Morgan, DPE, Speilman and Lindsey) guys instead of however many they play now.

I learned our TEs miss way too many blocks.

I learned that the Davis twins and Stoltenberg are men.

I learned Reed needs to be on the field (maybe even as an OLB).

I learned Lightburn is pretty solid.

I learned that even though Wilbon ran tough people will still pine for Ozigbo.

14 minutes ago, Pedro Guerrero said:

I learned our TEs miss way too many blocks

What's the coaching situation for TEs this season, anyway? Tavita Thompson doesn't become a full-time coach until next season, right?

I learned that even though Wilbon ran tough people will still pine for Ozigbo.

Think it's pretty much the RB equivalent of 'the most popular guy on the team is the backup QB'.

5 hours ago, Mavric said:

Which Aaron Semm talked about yesterday as an easy tell, and NIU knew exactly what we were doing when it was run vs pass.

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, Joe_5700 said:

It doesn't matter who you put back there with this Offensive Line.  

Yes, it does.

Because 300 pound people do not change direction well. While there are some plays Lee has virtually no chance, there are a lot more where better (any?) pocket awareness would allow for a better pass.