This was Possibly a Great Day for Nebraska Football

Call me naive, homer, but when TO says 9 wins minimum that should be the standard.  He knows how tough the job of head coach is, that being said I don't think Bo should've been let go.  Riley / Eichorst I was never a fan of either one.  Wished them well but haven't seen any lthing that looks like progress on the field.  

Some of you guys sound like Nebraska football is on the same level as Purdue. Riley was a bad hire from the start and so was your AD. It isn't like the next guy is going to step into a crap hole of a program in terms of facilities and support. There are very few programs in the country that have what Nebraska can offer. 

The one thing that might treat you guys well going forward is to stop comparing everyone to TO. It must suck to coach in the shadow of a coaching legend. 

• Plus1 4
6 minutes ago, Mr.Rodgers said:

Call me naive, homer, but when TO says 9 wins minimum that should be the standard.  He knows how tough the job of head coach is, that being said I don't think Bo should've been let go.  Riley / Eichorst I was never a fan of either one.  Wished them well but haven't seen any lthing that looks like progress on the field.  

You're naive.  9 wins became the expectation under Bo, blowouts be damned.  The program had stagnated.  Combined with Bo's headline grabbing behavior, a change was probably due.

4 minutes ago, jaws said:

Some of you guys sound like Nebraska football is on the same level as Purdue. Riley was a bad hire from the start and so was your AD. It isn't like the next guy is going to step into a crap hole of a program in terms of facilities and support. There are very few programs in the country that have what Nebraska can offer. 

The one thing that might treat you guys well going forward is to stop comparing everyone to TO. It must suck to coach in the shadow of a coaching legend. 

When Buckeye fans stop bringing up Woody Hayes, we'll stop.

I liked Pelini but then I grew tired of his childish crap on the sidelines. The players say they loved him, then why did they get slaughtered every time we played a big name opponent. You'd think they'd wanna play for their coach.  Now we have Riley, I don't know what the players think of him or his staff. Last saturday looked like a team that simply quit. A new hire needs to evaluate and take his time on any staff decisions instead of making rash decisions because we saw where that got us. Callahan and Riley.

1 minute ago, 4skers89 said:

When Buckeye fans stop bringing up Woody Hayes, we'll stop.

They bring him up, sure, but they don't use Woody's fifth year as some sort of dumb measuring stick for Urban's fifth year. They didn't do it for Tressel either. I am just saying that it can be hard to coach in the shadow of someone like TO.

Just now, Moiraine said:

Does it matter what Buckeye fans do? They've had 2 national championships since our last, and I dunno how many conference.

No not really.  I brought it up because if you look at OSU boards they make comparisons to Woody.  My point is that it would be difficult to stop referencing a  legendary coach.  You accidentally pointed something out.  Chatter on a message board doesn't negatively impact a program e.g. OSU.  Does someone seriously think a prospective coach will turn down a job because they checked out HB and saw that we were comparing Riley to TO?

Just now, 4skers89 said:

No not really.  I brought it up because if you look at OSU boards they make comparisons to Woody.  My point is that it would be difficult to stop referencing a  legendary coach.  You accidentally pointed something out.  Chatter on a message board doesn't negatively impact a program e.g. OSU.  Does someone seriously think a prospective coach will turn down a job because they checked out HB and saw that we were comparing Riley to TO?

O.o

I never thought it did.

6 minutes ago, jaws said:

They bring him up, sure, but they don't use Woody's fifth year as some sort of dumb measuring stick for Urban's fifth year. They didn't do it for Tressel either. I am just saying that it can be hard to coach in the shadow of someone like TO.

Yea, I don't think many fans believe TO's shadow is that long.  You'll see it brought up all the time that it was a different era and a lot has changed since then.  Few if any expect a coach to come in and have the same success as TO.

34 minutes ago, jaws said:

I think this is a bit hyperbolic.  TO (and Devaney) are of course mainly responsible for our success but TO quit coaching a long time ago.  I don't think as many people are comparing possible coaches to TO as you just stated.  I know I'm not.  Like at all.  I think most fans just want Nebraska to be at least halfway relevant again.  No more losses to MAC teams just as an example.  Actually and truly be in the hunt for conference championships on a yearly if not semi yearly basis.  No more embarrassing blowouts.  The list goes on. 

Most people realize there will be no second coming of 'TO.'  He was one of a kind.