The $$ cost of losing

Husker66

I have often wondered how many people there are out there like me.

I never missed listening , watching or attending a game from early 70's( I was born in 1966 in Lincoln) until about 5 years ago. I used to go to bowls, travel to games, buy junk, etc. then it became more sporadic in the last 5 years. Now? I didn't even know when the game started today and when I came in at half and saw the score, it barely registered. I left in the 4th to mow when we were down by 3 cause I literally didn't care, I had other stuff that needed to be done. When I came in I saw the final,  I just didn't care.  This has to be bad for business and spell  some kind of end for the program as we have known it at least in my lifetime. that football program supports everything up there.

I used to be a core customer, entertaining clients in Lincoln, buying stuff etc. there has to be a gazillion guys and gals like me with marketing budgets or just more discretionary money as we get older who have lost interest. that has to be 10s of millions of dollars to the economy and university..I know the full payout kicks in this year and its big, but it could be way bigger. Replacing this coaching staff and AD has to pale  in comparison to the lost revenue this university is facing? We paid over $2M for 2 mid major teams to come to Lincoln and as far as I'm concerned,  2 losses. We are playing at a mid level mid Major level now. this is V 4.0 of the "rebuild" and it s a failure.  And don't tell me its hard to recruit to Lincoln ..it hasn't impacted OU, K state and clearly not places like Penn state and Michigan.

And before you come after me as a fair weather fan, at least for me, at some point  you start asking yourself if there are other things you should be doing....there is just so much time and money...and in some ways I'm not convinced the university is working as hard for the fan as the fan is working to be at the game.

2 minutes ago, Husker66 said:

I never missed listening , watching or attending a game from early 70's( I was born in 1966 in Lincoln) until about 5 years ago. I used to go to bowls, travel to games, buy junk, etc. then it became more sporadic in the last 5 years. Now? I didn't even know when the game started today and when I came in at half and saw the score, it barely registered. I left in the 4th to mow when we were down by 3 cause I literally didn't care, I had other stuff that needed to be done. When I came in I saw the final,  I just didn't care.  This has to be bad for business and spell  some kind of end for the program as we have known it at least in my lifetime. that football program supports everything up there.

I used to be a core customer, entertaining clients in Lincoln, buying stuff etc. there has to be a gazillion guys like me with marketing budgets or just more discretionary money as we get older who have lost interest. that has to be 10s of millions of dollars to the economy and university..I know the full payout kicks in this year and its big, but it could be way bigger. Replacing this coaching staff and AD has to pale  in comparison to the lost revenue this university is facing? We paid over $2M for 2 mid major teams to come to Lincoln and as far as I'm concerned,  2 losses. We are playing at a mid level mid Major  now. this is V 4.0 of the "rebuild" and it s a failure.  And don't tell me its hard to recruit to Lincoln ..it hasn't impacted OU, K state and clearly not places like Penn state and Michigan.

And before you come after me as a fair weather fan, at least for me, at some point  you start asking yourself if there are other things you should be doing....there is just so much time and money...and in some ways I'm not convinced the university is working as hard for the fan as the fan is working to be at the game.

Not to mention the increased cost of alcohol while having to take what was formerly a post game buzz to the now familiar weekly ritual of drinking to a sloppy, potentially marriage wrecking, state of memory loss.    

• Plus1 2

You're not a fair-weather fan.  Sports teams don't get to bank on unconditional support no matter what they do.  Fans have to see a reasonable return on investment from the team or they're going to ebb away.

A sports team is no different than a restaurant, or a movie franchise.  As long as the product is good it'll be successful. But if you go to that restaurant and get served bad meal after bad meal, how many times are you going to go back?  And eventually that place will go out of business. That's not the customers' fault for not supporting the restaurant, it's the restaurant's fault for serving a bad product.

• Plus1 2

My two sons have absolutely zero interest in football, especially Nebraska football. They watch their father and their grandfather go irrational, batsh*t crazy in front of the TV and just shake their heads.

I used to dream of making the trip to Lincoln and taking each one of them to their first games...  perhaps it still might happen one day, but right now I don't really feel the magic. They don't care at all. They have no concept of Nebraska being special. They've been to Lincoln but didn't wanna see a football game. I ended up going to one by myself. That was the last time I've gone and it was a few years ago now. To them Nebraska's just a big flat expanse of nothing that smells like cow poop.

When I was 8 years old it would have been absolutely unthinkable for Nebraska football to be a non-event to me.

The fandom is gonna have a very hard time transitioning to the next generation if things don't change.

• Plus1 2

9 minutes ago, HuskerPowerVA said:

Not to mention the increased cost of alcohol while having to take what was formerly a post game buzz to the now familiar weekly ritual of drinking to a sloppy, potentially marriage wrecking, state of memory loss.    

+1 my friend! That was hilarious! 

• Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, GSG5545 said:

+1 my friend! That was hilarious! 

22 minutes ago, HuskerPowerVA said:

+100 awesome

• Plus1 1
30 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

K-State is the only school you named with a similar recruiting disadvantage to us. I don't even think recruiting is the problem, but you didn't help you self with those comparisons.

that came across wrong, and I think Nebraska  can recruit with the best of them(always the indian, not the arrow) but you have to have coaches the kids will come here to play for. Nebraska is not viewed as a place to go get better, compete for Conference and national championships and get to the NFL.

• Plus1 1
42 minutes ago, Husker66 said:

I used to be a core customer, entertaining clients in Lincoln, buying stuff etc. there has to be a gazillion guys and gals like me with marketing budgets or just more discretionary money as we get older who have lost interest. that has to be 10s of millions of dollars to the economy and university..I know the full payout kicks in this year and its big, but it could be way bigger. Replacing this coaching staff and AD has to pale  in comparison to the lost revenue this university is facing? We paid over $2M for 2 mid major teams to come to Lincoln and as far as I'm concerned,  2 losses. We are playing at a mid level mid Major level now. this is V 4.0 of the "rebuild" and it s a failure.  And don't tell me its hard to recruit to Lincoln ..it hasn't impacted OU, K state and clearly not places like Penn state and Michigan.

Agree 100%  My wife summed it up -- Its not fun watching Nebraska play football with all the mistakes.

37 minutes ago, knapplc said:

You're not a fair-weather fan.  Sports teams don't get to bank on unconditional support no matter what they do.  Fans have to see a reasonable return on investment from the team or they're going to ebb away.

A sports team is no different than a restaurant, or a movie franchise.  As long as the product is good it'll be successful. But if you go to that restaurant and get served bad meal after bad meal, how many times are you going to go back?  And eventually that place will go out of business. That's not the customers' fault for not supporting the restaurant, it's the restaurant's fault for serving a bad product.

OMG, we're the Applebee's of College Football.  :facepalm:

• Plus1 1

The argument was made following the game that this was the worst home loss in school history. I'm not here to debate that one way or another, but many of those other games one could put in that list I did feel that they were while watching the game.

Someone had to mention the possibility this could be one for it to register, because it just felt so....normal.