Simple: Will Riley be back for a 4th year?

teachercd

1 hour ago, BartonHusker said:

The only issue we all have to remember about Eichorst going to Wisconsin is the fact it looks like they already have their successor in ex-Badger great Chris McIntosh who is the Deputy Athletic Director and Barry Alvarez's right hand man. 

If Eichorst is no more, it won't be because he is leaving as Wisconsin's new AD. 

Personally I think Riley "retires" after this year or next. 7-5 or worst and he is gone. 

Too bad.  Whiskey deserves it for giving us SE.  There should be some bad karma coming home to roost from that one.

6 hours ago, epocSoN said:

You keep saying we have a history of knee jerk reactions but if you look at the top 25 programs they average about 2.5 coaches in the last 7 years.  Most programs don't have the same coach for 20 years like Nebraska pre - 1997.  This is the new college football landscape.  Need to be quick to adapt and prove results if you want to survive.

Yeah we knee jerk.  We are so desperate to be viewed as an elite program that every loss becomes a call to action.  I bold the word viewed because I believe the perception for this fan base is that we are a powerhouse and we're many bad decisions- in both the athletic department and coaching hires, away from being elite.  As you mentioned, this ain't 97 so lets quit trying to make decision as if it were.  Its time to be logical and methodical  and calm from here on out.  

My vote is leave MR in for the fourth season. Let's give Chancellor Ronnie Green an opportunity to pick his guy and let our new AD pick his staff.  I have 0 faith in SE to pick a coach objectively. He'll end up picking his old room mate because he was a swell fella and always picked up his socks. One more losing season in an attempt to right the ship is worth it.  

3 minutes ago, CornKing said:

My vote is leave MR in for the fourth season. Let's give Chancellor Ronnie Green an opportunity to pick his guy and let our new AD pick his staff.  I have 0 faith in SE to pick a coach objectively. He'll end up picking his old room mate because he was a swell fella and always picked up his socks. One more losing season in an attempt to right the ship is worth it.  

The only way I see Riley staying is if Nebraska somehow gets to 7 or 8 wins this season.  If he has another season without a winning record (2 out of 3 years), that should be enough for any program like Nebraska to say goodbye.  Texas is in a similar boat to Nebraska right now, trying to return to relevance, and they just fired Strong after his 3rd year.  I realize Riley's overall record is slightly better than Strongs, but it's not enough to nullify the comparison.  Florida did the same with Ron Zook after just 3 years, and Zook had three straight winning seasons.  When a school with Nebraska's history accepts consecutive mediocre seasons, it's a sign that the boosters have given up on returning to prominence.

6 minutes ago, bnilhome said:

The only way I see Riley staying is if Nebraska somehow gets to 7 or 8 wins this season.  If he has another season without a winning record (2 out of 3 years), that should be enough for any program like Nebraska to say goodbye.  Texas is in a similar boat to Nebraska right now, trying to return to relevance, and they just fired Strong after his 3rd year.  I realize Riley's overall record is slightly better than Strongs, but it's not enough to nullify the comparison.  Florida did the same with Ron Zook after just 3 years, and Zook had three straight winning seasons.  When a school with Nebraska's history accepts consecutive mediocre seasons, it's a sign that the boosters have given up on returning to prominence.

Don't even want him after a 7 or 8 win season, because the first 3 weeks still happened, and that means same old same old losses to Ohio State, Wisconsin, and either Penn State or Iowa. No thanks. We aren't moving forward to where we were with Riley, cutting ties earlier the better. Why keep someone along when we all know he isn't getting us to where we want to go.

Unless he wins the B1G West he shouldn't be brought back. And making assistant coaches changes wont help the cause, just gives one more reason to keep him around for another year because "players are learning a new system"

2 minutes ago, BoneyardHusker said:

Don't even want him after a 7 or 8 win season, because the first 3 weeks still happened, and that means same old same old losses to Ohio State, Wisconsin, and either Penn State or Iowa. No thanks. We aren't moving forward to where we were with Riley, cutting ties earlier the better. Why keep someone along when we all know he isn't getting us to where we want to go.

Unless he wins the B1G West he shouldn't be brought back. And making assistant coaches changes wont help the cause, just gives one more reason to keep him around for another year because "players are learning a new system"

My expectations are like yours, but my point is that if he could somehow get to 7 or 8 wins, that would likely mean the key decision makers (Eichorst or the BOR who will decide the fate of SE) would be willing to give Riley one more year.  I am with you that unless the team pulls off a miracle and wins the BIG West, Riley should go.

2 minutes ago, bnilhome said:

My expectations are like yours, but my point is that if he could somehow get to 7 or 8 wins, that would likely mean the key decision makers (Eichorst or the BOR who will decide the fate of SE) would be willing to give Riley one more year.  I am with you that unless the team pulls off a miracle and wins the BIG West, Riley should go.

Yeah I get what you are saying. Think it will take 8 wins to make that a tough decision for them, 7 wins means losses to Wisconsin, Ohio State, Penn State. The same type of teams meaning we have made zero progress, and heavens knows if those loses are anything like last years 62-3 trounce from Ohio State.

23 hours ago, Frustrated said:

Become?  Have you talked to anyone else in the conference?  We bought that spot when we sold our collective soul to get away from Texas (and look at the suck from Austin!).  It was a money grab.  We aren't relevant and likely won't be.  the end.

Clay Helton would like to have a word with you.

Herman is going to have that program firing on all pistons by the end of the year, mark my words.

Next year they will be a force to be reckoned with. Herman is the second best coach in the NCAA in my opinion, only Saban gets the nod over him, and I shudder to think what Herman could do with a talent pool as deep as Bama's.