Impact of Poor Performance on Recruiting

45 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Ohio st line just opened at 22.5, assuming that happens or probably worse what's thoughts on how rest of season plays out and how that impacts recruiting, coaching change possibilities? 

Well I think that, unless Riley pulls a miracle and beats one of the big dogs (OSU or PSU) AND wins all other games to finish 8-4, he is done. Recruits who would only come because of him or his staff will look elsewhere.  Those who like everything else Nebraska football has to offer will see who the new staff is and go from there.  If there will be a coaching change, its imperative to get it done by late November or early December to maximize the time the new coach has with the 2018 recruiting class

• Plus1 1

It would be interesting to know what a coaching staff like Nebraska's tells top recruits when they are in the situation they are in right now.

I believe that Riley is professional enough that he would be talking about how great Nebraska is and how he would love to coach the recruit....but....if he isn't here, Nebraska is still a great place for the kid.

But...it has to be a difficult discussion at this point in the season.

And.....there possibly is a difference between how Riley would approach it since he probably would be retired and not coach somewhere else after Nebraska compared to a younger coach that will be snatched up by another program and will need to be recruiting players to his new home.

Here is one article discussing the coaching situation and impact on recruiting.  I completely disagree with the sentiment that we should hang onto a coach if we have a mediocre season because of the current recruiting class.  As has been pointed out a lot this past week, our average team recruiting ranking over the past 5 years is about 10 spots higher than Wisconsin's, yet our on the field performance is far worse.  Thus, that is a not a talent issue but a coaching issue that cannot be easily remedied with a person that has been mediocre his whole career.  Moreover, if we kept D Williams, Parella, and K Williams, that might help save some of the key recruits we are hoping to have ASSUMING the new head coach is a top choice.  I know this is a lot of speculation when only have the season is over, but this assuming we win fewer than 8 games this year.

https://www.landof10.com/nebraska/nebraska-football-mailbag-happens-2018-recruiting-class-mike-riley-fired

• Plus1 1

I agree that we should keep him unless its a dumpster fire, bit that’s because you’d be throwing a new coach into a tougher schedule next year. And I don’t see a new AD wanting to start off a tenure on that foot. I also disagree with the sentiments to keep him because of potential of keeping a recruiting class together. Dumb. 

And Nebraska needing to do “whatever it can” to keep a few of the assistants... Are you kidding me? This HC job isn’t exactly that desirable anymore. And to be told you have to keep some coaches you don’t know, and frankly, aren’t leading stellar units? That’ll land us a top notch coach.

I was listening to 1620 the zone yesterday and Damon Benning was talking about something I found interesting. He mentioned we need a "saturday" coach. Guys who are coaching the kids when they come to the sideline and making adjustments. This regime and the prior with pelini it seemed like it was the same excuses after games- "oh i am encouraged, we just have some execution to clean up". Why is it the last 2 regimes it has been fundamentals plaguing why we lose. Lack of discipline and fundamentals falls solely on coaches to have the guys game ready- then be able to adjust in game. The last 2 regimes it seems if something is working it works all game against our defense.

1 hour ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I don't know how coaches sell the vision after this game 

They can't sell it with a straight face.  Why should a recruit believe in Riley or his staff after years of mediocrity?  If I were a recruit and was interested in Nebraska because of the program, facilities, and fans, and not necessarily because of a particular coach, I would be hoping for a new coach.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...