If your're gonna fire Riley.....

1 hour ago, saunders45 said:

The AD's who hired those two guys did not hire their replacements.

And Jeremy Foley got to hire Will Muschamp's replacement at Florida because before Muschamp, he hired Urban Meyer and brought two national titles to Florida.

So two ADs did NOT get to hire replacements, while the other had a much longer leash because he hired two guys (Meyer for football and Billy Donovan in men's basketball) that won a combined four national titles. 

• Plus1 1

3 minutes ago, Hans Gruber said:

And Jeremy Foley got to hire Will Muschamp's replacement at Florida because before Muschamp, he hired Urban Meyer and brought two national titles to Florida.

So two ADs did NOT get to hire replacements, while the other had a much longer leash because he hired two guys (Meyer for football and Billy Donovan in men's basketball) that won a combined four national titles. 

Yup, and Foley has been regarded as one of the best in the business. Meanwhile, both the Michigan and Texas AD's that hired their guys were "businessmen" that didn't get the culture (maybe like SE?) and were subsequently fired.

7 minutes ago, saunders45 said:

Yup, and Foley has been regarded as one of the best in the business. Meanwhile, both the Michigan and Texas AD's that hired their guys were "businessmen" that didn't get the culture (maybe like SE?) and were subsequently fired.

My recollection is the Texas AD was previously a president for an NBA team and started charging Texas coaches for food in the cafeteria. That didn't go over well.

I think the Michigan guy previously did something for Dominos (or one of the other pizza places) and got into hot water over something with drinks in the stadium, or something like that.

Some ADs are dumb, and it's difficult to win with a dumb one. 

You know what would be the most embarrassing thing that could happen now?  Is to fire a coach and not solidify the next one, ala LSU and Tom Herman.  We can want all these big names but that doesn't mean they'll come for various reasons.  That includes Scott Frost.  I'm not sure that Lincoln is his goal or suits his lifestyle.  To find the right coach, and it a change does happen it needs to be a big name, it will take time even until the end of this year.  Just be prepared to wait. 

11 minutes ago, HuskerPowerVA said:

There will be several attractive jobs open, e.g.LSU, Tenn, this year so it may be necessary to beat them to the punch.

and that's true too.  LSU has money to spend, much like Nebraska, they're athletic department is self sustaining and churns a profit.  Baton Rouge is an armpit, though.  Knoxville is beautiful.  If it's a young coach, how much does quality of life matter?  Can scenery be bought and is Lincoln itself a selling point?

3 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

and that's true too.  LSU has money to spend, much like Nebraska, they're athletic department is self sustaining and churns a profit.  Baton Rouge is an armpit, though.  Knoxville is beautiful.  If it's a young coach, how much does quality of life matter?  Can scenery be bought and is Lincoln itself a selling point?

Like any job search, I am sure each candidate has their own priorities, but man they sure recruit top shelf talent down there.  

3 hours ago, zoogs said:

I think that's reactionary. SE's doing a good, professional job with the department. The same AD who hired Charlie Strong, Will Muschamp, Brady Hoke, etc, went on to hire their successors. We take it out on Steve Pederson, fairly, but the "fire AD" thing seems a bit more uniquely Nebraska to me.

Let's say Riley flames out here. We might get the next one right. Of course we could fire SE, too, but where does that kind of pivot take us? I mean, I'd agree this would be absolutely necessary if we needed a "Nebraska guy" to "hire a coach who will bring back the option", or some variant thereof.

Not to nit pick this statement but I bolded the comment above as SE put himself in this situation with his 1 man recruitment team, of himself.  He tied his wagons to this horse and its dragging him straight into the river.  Had he had a more respectable, open and transparent recruitment team and process behind him, I guarantee he wouldn't be catching as much flack as he is now.  

Your pivot point as to where we would go if we fired SE is a great point and valid.  But frankly, I put more trust in an unknown then letting SE get another crack at this given how crappy his last search attempt was.

• Plus1 1

What's a transparent, open recruitment team when it comes to a HC search? I can't really think of an example. 

But yeah, your point is valid as well. If we make a change, I hope the grounds are for someone who they believe has better judgment in determining ability than some sort of change in philosophy. 

All of you guys salivating over Chris Petersen should check out Jonathan Smith, Petersen's OC. 

Smith followed Petersen from Boise State, and is the offensive mastermind behind Washington's success. He knows the Petersen system inside and out.

Also, the dude is recruiting the best OL Washington has had since the Don James years. They will be road grading teams for years to come.

He initially learned his craft as a QB at Oregon State playing under Dennis Erickson (yeah, the guy that won NCs at Miami). Ericsson and Smith took lowly Oregon State to the Fiesta Bowl where they fricken  T H U M P E D   Notre Dame. 

Smith has everything Petersen has, but is younger. He is basically the coach in waiting at UW when Petersen retires. 

You could probably lure him away for $1.5M a year. 

Hands off any of our defensive staff though.

• Plus1 1

Craig Bohl? Won a few Natty's in Fargo and got Wyoming to the MWC Championship game in a couple years. And Nebraska roots. 

Also I like his demeanor with the players and the press.

Finally just remember what happened last time the head coach from Wyoming took the top job at Nebraska...

4 minutes ago, Micheal said:

Craig Bohl? Won a few Natty's in Fargo and got Wyoming to the MWC Championship game in a couple years. And Nebraska roots. 

Also I like his demeanor with the players and the press.

Finally just remember what happened last time the head coach from Wyoming took the top job at Nebraska...

No thanks.

22 minutes ago, uzi said:

All of you guys salivating over Chris Petersen should check out Jonathan Smith, Petersen's OC. 

Smith followed Petersen from Boise State, and is the offensive mastermind behind Washington's success. He knows the Petersen system inside and out.

Also, the dude is recruiting the best OL Washington has had since the Don James years. They will be road grading teams for years to come.

He initially learned his craft as a QB at Oregon State playing under Dennis Erickson (yeah, the guy that won NCs at Miami). Ericsson and Smith took lowly Oregon State to the Fiesta Bowl where they fricken  T H U M P E D   Notre Dame. 

Smith has everything Petersen has, but is younger. He is basically the coach in waiting at UW when Petersen retires. 

You could probably lure him away for $1.5M a year. 

Hands off any of our defensive staff though.

This is the most interesting thing I've heard so far.