Offense

Huskers44

That might be the worst offensive game I have seen in a lonnnnnnng time. I'm trying to think of players on the offense that did good and all I can think of is Wilbon, DPE, and Spielman. Other than that holy cow seemed like not many people gave two rats about what was going on. Stanley played good, but he's dropped a lot of passes. Tanner Lee is honestly lucky that they dropped so many potential INT's. Most of the poor offensive performance is probably on the O-line. Very hard to watch when we constantly had two of their guys in are backfield all game long. The blocked field goal at the end of half was game changing. 

• Plus1 1

14 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

Les Mies brought up an obvious point several times in the game where our WR routes were never double moves. NIU sat on or tried jumping every single route knowing we weren't going deep. I think I saw a thousand 7 yard hitch routes yesterday 

Les did a great job pointing out the decencies across the board with this staff. From not rushing the ball right at them (outweighed them by 40 lbs on the OL), the no double moves, poor blocking, playing too far off the LOS for the DB's, no coverage on the crossing routes etc......It was like he was sad and baffled at the same time....

I think so much of that goes to an OL incapable of blocking and a QB who was staring down receivers.....And slow developing PA in 3rd and 4.......

The offense has a bad o-line, inconsistent QB, not much depth at RB, and inconsistent WR play.  Other than that, things are great!!!

The thing about the offense that concerns me now is that Langsdorf's and Riley's tendencies (especially with no running threat at QB) are being learned by the opposing defenses and they are becoming easier to stop.  We haven't even gotten to conference play, where the defenses are better, and the opponents have 2 years of experience going against Langsdorf & Riley.

There were telling quotes that I saw this morning from Riley and the NIU CB who had the first pick 6thrown by Lee against NIU.

“I don’t know how in the world you know that’s coming because that is a run-pass option play,” Riley said.

“We had five days to watch film on them,” Lurry said. “They run a lot of bubbles, so something just told me to jump it, and I just jumped it. Results happen.”

Without having a good offensive line and a commitment to run the ball, the offense becomes one dimensional, and pretty easy to stop.

1 hour ago, lo country said:

Les did a great job pointing out the decencies across the board with this staff. From not rushing the ball right at them (outweighed them by 40 lbs on the OL), the no double moves, poor blocking, playing too far off the LOS for the DB's, no coverage on the crossing routes etc......It was like he was sad and baffled at the same time....

I think so much of that goes to an OL incapable of blocking and a QB who was staring down receivers.....And slow developing PA in 3rd and 4.......

And it's sad because most of us ordinary fans have called out a lot of that stuff Les just did. Honest question, if Les Miles was our coach would you be happy?

2 hours ago, lo country said:

We ran play action on 4th and 6, that sums up the intelligence of the staff.

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, BIG ERN said:

Les Mies brought up an obvious point several times in the game where our WR routes were never double moves. NIU sat on or tried jumping every single route knowing we weren't going deep. I think I saw a thousand 7 yard hitch routes yesterday 

Tanner doesn't throw a good deep ball, hell Tommy Armstrong generally hit an open post on stride. haven't seen many attempts  over 30 yards and when I have, the receiver has to slow down or it drifts out of bounds- anyone else seeing this?

9 minutes ago, Whistlepig said:

Tanner doesn't throw a good deep ball, hell Tommy Armstrong generally hit an open post on stride. haven't seen many attempts  over 30 yards and when I have, the receiver has to slow down or it drifts out of bounds- anyone else seeing this?

Our guys are not great at catching passes over their shoulder or with any kind of interference....no Biletnikoffs here. Morgan Jr is best when he comes back for one and runs.

I don't see this team scoring more than 21pts/gm.. hope the defense continues to get better. I still like the spread offense for Nebraska.  Imo it's meant for smaller schools who may only have one or two playmakers, with Nebraska we can have a few more than that, making it a fairly tough to defend. You need a great o line in any offense but with pro style it's going to take more than just that (blitzes coming from everywhere yesterday) great qb play, tough running.  Personally I like the look of pro style better and the scheming, it's just tough and takes time.  Time I don't care to wait around for lol