Riley/Lee = Callahan/Keller

Scratchtown

Eerie. I had mentioned this earlier this summer about how weird this felt. It's not entirely the same because Riley is in year 3 as opposed to year 4 like Callahan. 

But both coaches brought in a transfer qb that was supposed to be the real deal. Keller wasn't it, and it looks as if Lee isn't it either. 

This game after the first qtr also had me thinking about Ball State 2007. I also thought NU would still win today. As of right now the word I put on the state of the program is "eerie" because of how closely reminding it is of 2007

This program needs "re-marketed" or "re-branded" and needs young energy to give a spark. 

I don't know who you got get, but realistically....it's gotta be a younger guy who has high energy that's positive and embraces the fan base. Pelini was high energy but super negatives Riley is.......Riley....not fun....grandpa vibes.

everyone wants a proven winner but that guy is not available. Sorry. Gotta catch lightning in a bottle like NU did with Osborne

• Plus1 2

Today was certainly incredibly frustrating and disappointing, and a sobering reality of where our program is, but at least personally it's hard for me to put a lot of fault on Tanner Lee. Almost all of his picks were either the result of a necessity to throw it in obvious passing situations, or just bad luck, imo. 

I'd definitely like to see him rise up to the challenge with a more assertive/killer instinct personality, though. He seems to get caught up in the disappointment - you need your quarterback to have irrational, unwavering confidence, ala a Kobe Bryant type even if he's gone 4/25 for the night.

NU needs to hire a coach that has a winning pedigree. You are an Oregon fan so this should be fairly easy to understand since you just went through firing a coach that sucked ass. 

He turned around WKU and then turned around USF. He ran a similar system to what was already established at the program and his values and ideas fit the team. Nebraska can and should aim to hire an elite level coach. I'd like to think that you'd agree with me that when Oregon hired Taggart, most people thought it was an ideal fit. Nebraska can do that too. 

The program doesn't need re-marketed or re-branded. The program needs an identity. And then the program needs to recruit to that identity. Until Nebraska figures out what they want to be they will be what they currently are. Bland on offense, bland on defense, and uninspired overall. 

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, seaofred92 said:

NU needs to hire a coach that has a winning pedigree.

I guess I'm just going to have to post the same thing a million times before people stop believing in this myth.

There is NO correlation between previous head coaching experience and success as a new head coach at a school. 

2 minutes ago, Landlord said:

I guess I'm just going to have to post the same thing a million times before people stop believing in this myth.

There is NO correlation between previous head coaching experience and success as a new head coach at a school. 

We’ve seen what happens when you hire a career.500 coach...

• Plus1 4

13 minutes ago, Landlord said:

is correlation the same as probability?

because past performance does have a probability of predicting future results 

• Plus1 3
3 minutes ago, unlfan said:

Please show your sources that there is ZERO correlation. I find that extremely hard to believe.

Yes. you can obviously come up with specific examples where a guy was successful at school A then sucked at school B. That does not prove your point there is zero correlation.

Look at the top 25 any year and it's usually about 50/50 first time head coaches and established head coaches.

Bob Stoops, Tom Osborne, Bob Devaney, Bill Snyder, Lincoln Riley, Dabo Swinney, Clay Helton, Mike Gundy, Jimbo Fisher, Kirby Smart, Gary Patterson, David Shaw - all first time head coaches. Those are just the ones off the top of my head.

2 minutes ago, Branno said:

I’d say the only quantitative data available. Record and number of championships. 

I’d say that certainly made, and makes, Riley mediocre. 

Still not a very good metric. You completely write off anyone who hasn't been a head coach before, and you also essentially write off most coaches who make waves at smaller G5 schools, as well as coaches who needed some time to turn around dead programs, etc.

Mark Helfricht has a 70% winning percentage, a Pac-12 championship, a Rose Bowl win, a National Championship appearance and a top 5 finish in 3 years as a head coach. Justin Fuente had a 26-23 record and one conference championship before being hired at Virginia Tech. PJ Fleck had a 30-22 record and one conference championship before being hired at Minnesota.

I don't know about you but I know which one of those three I'd pick last as my head coach.

2 minutes ago, unlfan said:

Would you rather hire Nick Saban or Brady Hoke to coach Nebraska?

Then explain your reasoning.

You and I are talking about different things. I am positing that, in hiring a new head coach, your chances of that person being a good coach aren't increased by them having already been a head coach in the past, and that first time head coaches and hires who have been head coaches before have about an equal amount of potential towards success. I'm disagreeing with the myth that we need a proven head coach.

9 hours ago, Coach Power'T said:

Eerie. I had mentioned this earlier this summer about how weird this felt. It's not entirely the same because Riley is in year 3 as opposed to year 4 like Callahan. 

But both coaches brought in a transfer qb that was supposed to be the real deal. Keller wasn't it, and it looks as if Lee isn't it either. 

This game after the first qtr also had me thinking about Ball State 2007. I also thought NU would still win today. As of right now the word I put on the state of the program is "eerie" because of how closely reminding it is of 2007

This program needs "re-marketed" or "re-branded" and needs young energy to give a spark. 

I don't know who you got get, but realistically....it's gotta be a younger guy who has high energy that's positive and embraces the fan base. Pelini was high energy but super negatives Riley is.......Riley....not fun....grandpa vibes.

everyone wants a proven winner but that guy is not available. Sorry. Gotta catch lightning in a bottle like NU did with Osborne

PJ Fleck.

• Plus1 1