Bo never should have been fired

Yes, his personality seemed to be on tilt/meltdown the last 2 years but most of this could have been lessened with AD support.  He had holes (recruiting), but also had so many intangibles that you look for in a big-time coach that he maybe would have grown into something special here...he was young & inexperienced when he was hired.  He respected tradition & TO. I think he spiraled due to pressure primarily caused by OWH sports writers who seemed to love stirring up controversy & pushing Bo's buttons.  Ah well...all ancient history now.

• Plus1 5

28 minutes ago, Wild Savage Beast said:

Yes, his personality seemed to be on tilt/meltdown the last 2 years but most of this could have been lessened with AD support.  He had holes (recruiting), but also had so many intangibles that you look for in a big-time coach that he maybe would have grown into something special here...he was young & inexperienced when he was hired.  He respected tradition & TO. I think he spiraled due to pressure primarily caused by OWH sports writers who seemed to love stirring up controversy & pushing Bo's buttons.  Ah well...all ancient history now.

Yes, he respected TO for hiring him.  No, he did not respect the Blackshirt tradition.

BP got 7 years, peaked and had to go.  Riley was damage control hire.  Neither of them should be here.  

I mean, do you not remember the "Apathy" threads? :facepalm:

• Plus1 2
9 minutes ago, admo said:

Yes, he respected TO for hiring him.  No, he did not respect the Blackshirt tradition.

BP got 7 years, peaked and had to go.  Riley was damage control hire.  Neither of them should be here.  

I mean, do you not remember the "Apathy" threads? :facepalm:

Bo won 67 games in 7 seasons... that seems pretty good to me for a guy in his first head coaching job who didn't even recruit that well.

How many seasons will Riley have to coach to obtain 67 wins?

• Plus1 1

Bo is like Saddam Hussein in this regards.  His release, like the invasion of Iraq, could have waitied.

Did Bo have the propensity to exhibit immense amounts of jackassery, absolutely.

But they could've waited to find a suitable replacement.  If somebody told me that I would have to wait a year or two to find someone that could take get us headed in the right direction, I think the Husker fan base at large would get behind that

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

Pelini should have been fired a year earlier (when he asked to be fired), and we should have offered Chris Petersen $8 million+.

People said it BEFORE Washington hired him. Now they hired him... and they were in the playoffs last year. He did well at a state (Idaho) that's HARDER to recruit to than Nebraska.

This is probably pretty true.  

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, saunders45 said:

Nah, Bo had worn out his welcome and checked out. Just because we downgraded doesn't mean we should have kept him.

I agree...Bo is clearly a good coach (not great but good) and he did pretty darn good at NU but I also think he very much wanted to leave.  I am sure he would have loved to leave on his own terms and had he won one or maybe two more games, certain games especially, he might be at a PSU or a UF or a Miami or South Carolina or Ole Miss type of place.  

Bo isn't/wasn't the issue 3 years ago.  The issue is that SE thought anyone could win at least 9 games so he went with a guy that would be great to work with (assuming he was right and that anyone could win 9 games here).  So SE apparently did the one thing that good bosses should not do (besides hand out books about vampires)...He thought he was the smartest guy in the room.  Instead of banging the phones and talking to other people to get some insight he thought he was all set.  When he hired Riley and we saw those tweets about how well respected Riley is and blah blah blah...SE probably had a raging lead-pipe in his pants.  No on thinks their hire will be bad and everyone hopes for the best.

• Plus1 2

2 hours ago, saunders45 said:

Nah, Bo had worn out his welcome and checked out. Just because we downgraded doesn't mean we should have kept him.

Agreed

Pelini is not solely responsible for wearing out his welcome, though.  Now that Perlman is retired some things can happen to begin to right this ship.......

• Plus1 2
  • Mavric locked this topic