No respectable head coaching candidate will accept a job with Nebraska now

C'mon folks, the Program is now a full-blown dumpster-fire of a train-wreck.  From inept regents, administration, and AD to entitlement-minded fans and back-stabbing sports writers NOBODY worth his salt will touch this cancerous toad of a Program - doesn't matter what the salary is.  Heck, this Program was on life-support after Solich, Callahan, and then when Bo was wrongly fired and Riley took over...there was no margin for error with the Riley hire.

It's over, folks.

This is a laughable hot take with virtually no basis in reality. Sure, Nebraska isn't in the same spot it was 20 years ago. But the idea that the entire program is cancerous is ludicrous. Nebraska isn't Kansas, Wake Forest or Rutgers. If they want to spend the time and money on finding the right AD and head coach, they can do it. It won't be Nick Saban or Urban Meyer, but it will be a more inspired hire than the last one.

• Plus1 2

Actually, I think the Nebraska football coaching job is one of the best in the country and would be quite attractice to almost any coach.   In some ways, it is more attractive now than it was 20 years ago.  Taking over after Tom would have been the most challenging and high risk gamble for a top coach - period.   There were not many who would have taken that risk.

Today, Nebraska is a bottom feeder amongst the blue blood football tradition rich programs.   Once the expecations were sky high and now they are not.  The fans have 'wants' and they have expectations.  Those are not the same.  Frank Solich was NOT the man to carry on the Osborne legacy but I am not sure if there were more that 5 potential HCs who could have carried it on at the very highest levels that Tom had achieved in the late 90s.   In many way, Solich was 'stuck' with an almost impossible job and he failed as nearly everyone would have.   

Today, the program needs to be rebooted (not rebuilt) as we have the infrastructure in place with a nice stadium and all the other things.   The AD may have thought that somehow the wins would just magically happen as though just about any experienced coach with a friendly face and nice guy personality could win games regularly.  The talent level is low but the tank is not empty yet.  The resources are there to turn the program around.  It will take a decade to get us back to the top ten level (it can't be done in 2 or 3).   The program had fallen under Solich and Callahan, Pelini and now Riley were unable to bring it back.  Each of those coaches had some of the necessary characteristics we want but NONE had enough of them to get it done.  

I am very concerned about the Scott Frost discussion as I don't think we know enough about him.  I would hesitate to let Riley go to hire Frost as that is how concerned I would be with Frost.      

4 hours ago, Wild Savage Beast said:

C'mon folks, the Program is now a full-blown dumpster-fire of a train-wreck.  From inept regents, administration, and AD to entitlement-minded fans and back-stabbing sports writers NOBODY worth his salt will touch this cancerous toad of a Program - doesn't matter what the salary is.  Heck, this Program was on life-support after Solich, Callahan, and then when Bo was wrongly fired and Riley took over...there was no margin for error with the Riley hire.

It's over, folks.

Man, talk about a trolling job. 

4 hours ago, Wild Savage Beast said:

It's over, folks.

All is dark...feel free to quit posting...no one will miss you

Riley was respectable, and he took the job, almost immediately after being asked. We could get the right guy, if we offered enough money, and picked a guy that had a system with a real identity that we can realistically recruit towards, Nebraska could be back.

I'll never believe those that say Nebraska football is dead. One day, we'll be back, I can feel it in my bones.

• Plus1 1

You offer Saban 8 million/year for 3 years with bonuses for winning the west with a 1 million increase after year 3.....He will come.  In 2016, we had the 42 highest paid coach.....We paid for and got bottom of the shelf ability with that cash....

IMHO, you have to have a pretty healthy ego to be a HC at the winning level.  I think that you offer the money, a lot would jump at the chance to a) do something no one has done in 20 years (win)  b) prove how good they are by winning (at any place)  c) for a big pay day

There are a lot of worse spots than Lincoln to coach in.....We just need to fore SE and het an AD who understands....

List here:

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/

6 minutes ago, lo country said:

You offer Saban 8 million/year for 3 years with bonuses for winning the west with a 1 million increase after year 3.....He will come.  In 2016, we had the 42 highest paid coach.....We paid for and got bottom of the shelf ability with that cash....

IMHO, you have to have a pretty healthy ego to be a HC at the winning level.  I think that you offer the money, a lot would jump at the chance to a) do something no one has done in 20 years (win)  b) prove how good they are by winning (at any place)  c) for a big pay day

There are a lot of worse spots than Lincoln to coach in.....We just need to fore SE and het an AD who understands....

List here:

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/

You're a little light homey.  Saban signed a deal that will pay him $65mm over 8 years plus incentive bonuses.  He also got a $4mm signing bonus and will make a little over $11mm this year.  Honestly you'd probably need to throw a $100mm deal at Saban for him to even take the phone call.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/sec/2017/05/02/nick-saban-alabama-contract-extension/101191514/

• Plus1 1