Option

jbjake

18 minutes ago, jbjake said:

Watching schools like Georgia Tech, Army, Air Force and others that still focus on run-first option make me wish for the good old days of option football.  With all the spread offenses out there, the triple option is now novel.  Bring it back.  I want smash mouth.

Let us know the last time a team that ran a triple option did anything on consequence on a semi national level.  I'll help you out, it was GT 7 years ago in the Orange Bowl.  You know who they lost to?  Iowa.  Iowa beats Nebraska as is, don't see why we need the triple option to do it.

TO ran power football primarily out of the I formation....He ran the option as a wrinkle in his power running game.  It really wasn't the "staple" per say pf his offensive philosophy.  

Here is a decent article on Nebraska's identity and what this writer thinks should happen: (although it states "option football"

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/story/sports/columnists/graham-couch/2015/11/06/couch-column-nebraska-football/75221314/

To be great again, sometimes you have to go back to your roots....

Here's some more thoughts from TO;

http://nebraska.247sports.com/Article/Nebraska-Tom-Osborne-on-the-option-offense-40100

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/hokies-journal/2009/10/option_offense_qa_with_nebrask.html

• Plus1 4
Just now, Jeremy said:

Oh yeah, GT set the Orange Bowl rushing record in that win. The option is a viable offense with a real identity and would set our fanbase on fire with support and enthusiasm.

Imagine Lamar Jackson or Clemson's new QB Bryant running the option.  QB's are now there who can throw on a dime and run.  IMO, more than are a prototypical pro style passer.  These guys are also going to the NFL as QB's....  

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

Oh yeah, GT set the Orange Bowl rushing record in that win. The option is a viable offense with a real identity and would set our fanbase on fire with support and enthusiasm.

Now, the question I ask is, in your honest opinion, could Nebraska's fans handle a move back to the option if it meant they would also never be nationally relevant again?  I don't think I need to point out GT's record that year.  

I think its easy to defend with team speed.  I did like TO's rationale for it.  He said that on any pass play that three things can happen and two of them are bad.  There are parts of our current offense that I think resemble the option-like a hybred option.  Of course, we don't have the mobile QB to make it work.  

3 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

Now, the question I ask is, in your honest opinion, could Nebraska's fans handle a move back to the option if it meant they would also never be nationally relevant again?  I don't think I need to point out GT's record that year.  

If Georgia tech can get to and WIN the orange bowl with the option, we definitely can. They also beat USC a few years ago in the sun bowl.

8 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

I think its easy to defend with team speed.  I did like TO's rationale for it.  He said that on any pass play that three things can happen and two of them are bad.  There are parts of our current offense that I think resemble the option-like a hybred option.  Of course, we don't have the mobile QB to make it work.  

If Gebbia got bigger maybe?  He seemed mobile in the spring game....DISCLAIMER-that was against our D.  Also every play doesn't have to be a QB keeper/option.  Power running with spread concepts.  A hybrid if you will....

45 minutes ago, jbjake said:

Watching schools like Georgia Tech, Army, Air Force and others that still focus on run-first option make me wish for the good old days of option football.  With all the spread offenses out there, the triple option is now novel.  Bring it back.  I want smash mouth.

I think it's a more realistic and reliable offense to learn in the timeframe allowed. My only request is to also develop a great play-action passing game. Would the Air Force coach come here? We would need someone who actually knows it inside and out and isn't just making it up as he goes along. Maybe Frost or Bohl?