Option

jbjake

12 minutes ago, yort2000 said:

Ugh.  Looks like more of the same to me.

Georgia Tech

2008 9-4

2009 10-3* (had to vacate some of these victories)

2010 6-7

2011 8-5

2012 7-7

2013 7-6

2014 11-3

2015 3-9

2016 9-4

They've beaten USC, Florida State, Dak Prescott's MSU, won the ORANGE BOWL. I'd take that over what little Nebraska's accomplished in that time frame. Not to mention, we actually have a bigger recruiting budget and pull. Georgia Tech has higher academic requirements. We would be unique in the B1G. Considering we can't beat the likes of northern Illinois with what we're running now, what's the downside?

Has anybody seen what Bob "Long Pause" Davie is doing at New Mexico? That option is fun to watch. Ran out of the gun instead of the flex like the service academies/GT so you can't key on which way the option is going. Lots of read option built in. 

I'm not saying we should do it here, I'm just saying for all of you option lovers give it a watch if you haven't already.  

7 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

They've beaten USC, Florida State, Dak Prescott's MSU, won the ORANGE BOWL. I'd take that over what little Nebraska's accomplished in that time frame. Not to mention, we actually have a bigger recruiting budget and pull. Georgia Tech has higher academic requirements. We would be unique in the B1G. Considering we can't beat the likes of northern Illinois with what we're running now, what's the downside?

I think we should strive for something a little more than a few big name victories.  That sounds a lot like Northwestern.

57 minutes ago, 1995 Redux said:

The option is fine....if you have the patience to find a staff that can recruit for 3 years and build a team around it.  This fan base does not have that kind of patience.

OK, I apologize for calling you a silly goose. I would have that kind of patience for someone we know ,like Frost or Bohl. Aren't you a big Solich fan or is that someone with a similar name?

I would love to go back to a offense with dual-threat QB running power out of the I and option mixed into it.  We would be "different" than most anyone else and that would be tough for other teams to prepare for on a week to week bases.  The academies and Georgia Tech run the flex-bone more times than not, we probably shouldn't run that offense but more of what we did under Osborne/Solich.  If you aren't going to go back to a the Osborne style of offense, then at least adopt more of a offense mindset that Wisconsin, Stanford or Michigan run imo.  

1 hour ago, In the Deed the Glory said:

Ya, never.  It was power I with some option built in to keep teams honest.  Tom used the option like a short passing game.  It was a way to stretch the field horizontally.  Then he play actioned off of it for the big play.

I don't know if we even had a triple option in the play book. Tom like to setup the handoff to the fullback, not let the QB read it. See Slchesinger in the 95 Orange bowl.

23 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

OK, I apologize for calling you a silly goose. I would have that kind of patience for someone we know ,like Frost or Bohl. Aren't you a big Solich fan or is that someone with a similar name?

Probably someone else.  Solich is a good coach, but he earned his termination here and there's a reason he is still at Ohio.

• Plus1 2
30 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

Why do you have that sort of patience for "someone you know"?  You wouldn't for someone you don't?  Why does that make a difference?

6 minutes ago, NM11046 said:

Why do you have that sort of patience for "someone you know"?  You wouldn't for someone you don't?  Why does that make a difference?

Because the guys we didn't know have taken us in strange directions playing a type of ball we're not crazy about. I think the fanbase would be more supportive if they thought we were headed to where we want to go and the type of team we want to be known as. I think it's much more likely the guys who have been involved with that would know that and try to go there.

After watching the first two games of Diaco's prevent, I think there's a huge disconnect somewhere and it shouldn't be that kind of guessing game.

14 minutes ago, dvdcrr said:

You do not want the Paul Johnson offense.  Do not compare it to the old Husker TO offense.  If you do, you are just showing your own lack of football knowledge.  There is no way TO would have ever committed to what Paul Johnson is running.  

TO's offense was power running out of the I formation and other formations, featuring the option, and effective play actiin passing.  

Paul Johnsons offense is a double wing offense featuring no diverse formations.  The defense sees the same plays and formation all game long.

You might as well just take at least two of the NC years off the stadium wall if NU was committed to that under TO.

There are variations, not to mention, he has ran some shotgun as well. We know Osborne's offense was different, but we arguably haven't had a real offensive identity since solich. The flexbone gives a definite identity

1 hour ago, yort2000 said:

I think we should strive for something a little more than a few big name victories.  That sounds a lot like Northwestern.

Well, we just lost to northern Illinois, and haven't even BEEN to a bowl like the orange in 16 years. If Georgia Tech can do it, so can we. They have accomplished way more than we have with a much lower budget and recruiting pull. We would be a unique offense and hard to prepare for

4 hours ago, In the Deed the Glory said:

The beauty of the option or offenses similar is the difficulty to prepare in for them in one week.  I do think something like a power spread option which marries some of TO's later ideas and what Oregon had been doing would have similar advantages but also allow for team speed on the field.

If only there was somebody who had ties to DONU that is running that exact offense some where in the middle part of Florida....

And understood the culture of NU.  Maybe even won a national championship.  A guy who maybe learned under offensive gurus like Chip Kelly or that TO  guy.  A power run game with two back sets....some counters, traps and draws with spread elements....and a dual threat QB to run it....

Like TO said, you see the option style O maybe once a season...You start to prepare Mon-Thurs.  Maybe 4 days tops.  Hard to stop.  The brilliance was TO was running a lot of power and maybe 20-30% option.....I'm an old school purist. I'd I've to see that be our identity again. Just a physical, smash mouth team.  Modernize into the 21st century and throw in the spread elements..

WR screens do a lot of what the option did...source of cheap yardage, spread the field laterally, dictate numbers in the box, good in 3rd and short...

Except they have one big advantage: they are much easier to install. The option remains a great play, but it takes a rather significant amount of repetitions to get right. Practice time is always a major constraint, and at all levels of the game safety concerns has had a diminishing effect on not only overall time but contact time and time in full pads. You can certainly run the option in today's game, but you pay a bigger opportunity cost than you do with other plays.