Option

jbjake

-Who are we assuming will be coaching NU and then decide to the option?

-What assurances for time do they get to recruit to this system? Current Oline cannot run option. Wrs may be able to block, but I can't see them staying happy blocking. 

-What kind of OL/WR (recruiting classes) will we get with a switch to option. I can't see us being as deep at receiver if pass attempts decrease. Do you see Stud O linemen signing here to run option?

IMO in today's game if you run the option it's an admission that you are lacking in areas. Yes those teams will jump up and bit someone every once in a while, but its not a consistent offense for the  national stage. 

15 minutes ago, NoKoolAidForME said:

-What assurances for time do they get to recruit to this system? Current Oline cannot run option. Wrs may be able to block, but I can't see them staying happy blocking. 

-What kind of OL/WR (recruiting classes) will we get with a switch to option. I can't see us being as deep at receiver if pass attempts decrease. Do you see Stud O linemen signing here to run option?

IMO in today's game if you run the option it's an admission that you are lacking in areas. Yes those teams will jump up and bit someone every once in a while, but its not a consistent offense for the  national stage. 

I remember hearing the same arguments in the early 90's

• Plus1 1

I think it would be hard to find a couple of suitable QB's to run it. There's a quick thinking component that isn't always pretty to look at. It's not intended to be quick scoring or flashy and I don't think high school kids are remotely interested. In becoming an option QB because it doesn't translate into an NFL contract. It might be a selling point for a lineman tho. 

5 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

Well, this thread turned into a circle jerk awful quickly. 

Because our wave of the future pro-style awesome offense is just racking up the points, giving as many touchdowns as it got from a MAC school. Actually, one of our scores was because they muffed a punt, and our quarterback, of all people, ran it in. Who would've thought that the QB could be a valid rushing threat? 

9 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

I think it would be hard to find a couple of suitable QB's to run it. There's a quick thinking component that isn't always pretty to look at. It's not intended to be quick scoring or flashy and I don't think high school kids are remotely interested. In becoming an option QB because it doesn't translate into an NFL contract. It might be a selling point for a lineman tho. 

Have we found a suitable NFL caliber QB in 13 years? Nope. But we've had Taylor Martinez, Tommy Armstrong, even Joe Ganz. They could all run the flex if coached to do so. Somehow these other option schools find a kid to take snaps, I'm sure we could, too.

1 hour ago, NoKoolAidForME said:

We lost to Northern flippin Illinois. If that's not already an admission of lacking in several areas, I don't know what is. 

I do know this: we don't give up 2 pick sixes running the flex against a mac school. Our linemen could block for this, it isn't rocket science. If anything, it's much simpler.

7 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

Because our wave of the future pro-style awesome offense is just racking up the points, giving as many touchdowns as it got from a MAC school. Actually, one of our scores was because they muffed a punt, and our quarterback, of all people, ran it in. Who would've thought that the QB could be a valid rushing threat? 

Riddle me this: when was the last time a team that used an option-heavy offense won a national title? I'll even make it easy for you and say you can use Nebraska as an example. 

Just now, Cdog923 said:

Riddle me this: when was the last time a team that used an option-heavy offense won a national title? I'll even make it easy for you and say you can use Nebraska as an example. 

Riddle me this: when was the last time Nebraska was even on the national stage and what did they focus on, run or pass?

What has nebraska accomplished in 16 years of West coast, pro-style, or a hybrid of these? We just lost to Northern flippin Illinois, how many MAC Schools beat us before Callahan/Pelini/Riley? 

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, MichiganDad3 said:

2005 Texas, read option from shotgun

Erroneous; they ran a pro spread; that offense was not option heavy. 

4 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

Riddle me this: when was the last time Nebraska was even on the national stage and what did they focus on, run or pass?

What has nebraska accomplished in 16 years of West coast, pro-style, or a hybrid of these? We just lost to Northern flippin Illinois, how many MAC Schools beat us before Callahan/Pelini/Riley? 

Still waiting. Should I rattle off the last 20 national champions that have won using some variety of the forward pass? 

Just now, Cdog923 said:

Erroneous; they ran a pro spread; that offense was not option heavy. 

Still waiting. Should I rattle off the last 20 national champions that have won using some variety of the forward pass? 

So we should stay with this sinking ship, losing to Mac squads? You know that GT, navy, air Force do also throw the ball occasionally, too, right? 

Should I bring up the last 14 years of mediocrity/craptasticness that the huskers have shown trying to throw it so much?

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Jeremy said:

So we should stay with this sinking ship, losing to Mac squads? You know that GT, navy, air Force do also throw the ball occasionally, too, right? 

Should I bring up the last 14 years of mediocrity/craptasticness that the huskers have shown trying to throw it so much?

tenor.gif

• Plus1 1