"Riley's guys"

bhunt7

We've heard since this staff took over that we need to be patient and wait until Riley gets his guys. Everyone pointed to this year as the year he'd finally have his guys. Guys that fit his system.  My question is who are these guys that everyone is referring to? Does Riley still not have players that fit what he really wants to do? If he doesn't have his guys yet, when he does get them, can we expect to be back to 9-4 or 10-4 again each season?

(I looked at the Northern Illinois recruiting rankings and hoped to go back over the past 5 years to see how we'd compare. NIU is so lowly that Rivals.com just started covering their team this year. Of the 19 committed recruits they currently have, only 4 of them are 3 stars. The rest are 2 star or lower.)

• Plus1 1

This is Rileys team. They are young and inexperienced, but that is not an excuse to lose to NIU. But this team is nowhere near peak performance and I think if Riley could get that out of them you would see the Huskers play a good football game. The problem is he needs to get that out of them consistently and if he doesn't that is a major red flag. He really hasn't been able to do that his entire time here so the flag is flying but I'm curious to see how the team develops over the course of the season. I still think we have the talent to make it to Indy but obviously the coaching may hold us back. We will see. 

As for NIU, you can't just look at recruiting for them and say "these guys are terrible, look who they recruit" They are a MAC team, there is an obvious talent gap we should have taken advantage of. But this program has a track record of being beyond pesky so let's not act like we played an FCS nobody.

37 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

This is Rileys team. They are young and inexperienced, but that is not an excuse to lose to NIU. But this team is nowhere near peak performance and I think if Riley could get that out of them you would see the Huskers play a good football game. The problem is he needs to get that out of them consistently and if he doesn't that is a major red flag. He really hasn't been able to do that his entire time here so the flag is flying but I'm curious to see how the team develops over the course of the season. I still think we have the talent to make it to Indy but obviously the coaching may hold us back. We will see. 

As for NIU, you can't just look at recruiting for them and say "these guys are terrible, look who they recruit" They are a MAC team, there is an obvious talent gap we should have taken advantage of. But this program has a track record of being beyond pesky so let's not act like we played an FCS nobody.

Um no