Yesterday is why...

ScottyIce

I've repeatedly stated this on this board and been ridiculed for it. Its ridiculously stupid to schedule games against teams like Northern Illinois. Its a lose/lose situation. If you blow them out, you are "supposed" to blow them out. And if you barely win or lose the game then its a huge deal and an embarrassment.

If you are going to schedule G5's (which we should be doing), then you schedule teams like Charlotte, Georgia State, Texas State, New Mexico State, Old Dominion, etc that have absolutely 0 shot of being competitive with you. It lets you work out the kinks and even if you throw 2 pick 6's you should be able to dominate them physically and win. Teams like NIU/Cincinnati/Fresno State/UCF/USF etc should never be on our schedule. They've established themselves as competitive teams. If you want a competitive game, schedule a P5. If you want a guaranteed win, schedule a low end G5. 

• Plus1 1

This series with Northern Illinois was supposed to be a 2-game "home and home" with NIU's home game to be played at Soldier Field in 2016.  That would have been pretty cool for Husker fans.  Unfortunately, that game was cancelled (and NU paid NIU $1M) after the Big Ten went to 9 conference games in 2016.

I don't have an issue with playing non-Power 5 teams, I guess it's only an issue for coaches who have trouble beating them.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, seaofred92 said:

I've repeatedly stated this on this board and been ridiculed for it. Its ridiculously stupid to schedule games against teams like Northern Illinois. Its a lose/lose situation. If you blow them out, you are "supposed" to blow them out. And if you barely win or lose the game then its a huge deal and an embarrassment.

If you are going to schedule G5's (which we should be doing), then you schedule teams like Charlotte, Georgia State, Texas State, New Mexico State, Old Dominion, etc that have absolutely 0 shot of being competitive with you. It lets you work out the kinks and even if you throw 2 pick 6's you should be able to dominate them physically and win. Teams like NIU/Cincinnati/Fresno State/UCF/USF etc should never be on our schedule. They've established themselves as competitive teams. If you want a competitive game, schedule a P5. If you want a guaranteed win, schedule a low end G5. 

In the old days you wanted to start iff 2-0 going into conference then win out.  Undefeated looked good to AP voters.  That was what mattered.  I still  think it has some value, in tuning up your team, building morale, and building some hype.  But I am in the camp, that yes, schedule a tough Non conf. schedule and just get ready.  Some of these teams are playing a cupcake late now?

2 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

This series with Northern Illinois was supposed to be a 2-game "home and home" with NIU's home game to be played at Soldier Field in 2016.  That would have been pretty cool for Husker fans.  Unfortunately, that game was cancelled (and NU paid NIU $1M) after the Big Ten went to 9 conference games in 2016.

I don't have an issue with playing non-Power 5 teams, I guess it's only an issue for coaches who have trouble beating them.

So basically NIU pulled a Mayweather on us. Just heisted us out of millions.