Scott Frost

Whistlepig

Lets get this one out there... lots has been said about SF as a possible candidate as our next head coach.

Like the absurd notions that we could get Saban or anyone by just offering ridiculous amounts of money to them (money that could not really be approved by our administration or regents) we have a few problems with the notion of Scott Frost becoming our next head coach:

1. He's told people he would NEVER come back unless the culture changes- i.e. the administration- so at the minimum Eichost would need to go and a Nebraska guy would need to be in place- someone SF could trust  

2. He needs time to succeed at CFlorida- 2-3 years 

3. Central Florida is a big school in a recruiting dream-world, with lots of $$$ donors- let's not kid ourselves they will be a power as money+talent=success

4. Someone would need to really really sell him on the idea and that someone was treated like an old shoe last time he was involved in the program, so that someone isn't and wouldn't push the idea

I don't see him as an option for the above reasons-they outweigh the fact that he came from and played for Nebraska

The smart thing to do is fire SE immediately.  Leave MR in as coach and make it clear to SF that if he is interested at the end of the season we are interested in him.  Fire MR in November when it is clear that the season is beyond salvaging.  That way SF gets to finish his second season at UCF and everyone (except SE) gets to hang on to a modicum of dignity.

If SF isn't interested in November then take either the best winning HC from P5 or the HC with the best trajectory coming out of the non-P5 conferences.

• Plus1 2

After this season Frost would have 2 years HC experience with UCF, along with several years as OC experience, all stints proving so far to be pretty successful. He has done a fine job at UCF, and although UCF is located in a talented rich recruiting area, he has to compete with Florida, FSU, Miami, and the ever popular person of Kiffin at FAU. Not to mention he has to recruit against the rest of the SEC and ACC.

Also after this season the culture will change because I am sure Eichorst is gone.

Frost may very well not work out, but I'd rather be stuck in the type of seasons we are having now with a young growing head coach who was from Nebraska, who gets Nebraska, then a guy in his mid 60's doing the same thing.

• Plus1 5

And this entire thing about Nebraska being a bad location for recruiting is such bogus rhetoric. First Lincoln is a pretty dang good college college town/city, it has everything other big cities have for college kids. Oklahoma, Oklahoma State get recruits to come to them and they are practically as "remote" as Nebraska. Are they closer to Texas? yes, but taking a flight from Texas to Oklahoma or Texas to Nebraska is maybe a difference of an hour, so you're not that far away in travels.

Pac-12 schools recruit players from Florida all the time, That is separated by the entire country. With Nebraska's facilities, their fans diehard fandom, Lincoln should be an easy sell to football recruits. I mean hearing some people drop the "location" as a negative for Nebraska is just ridiculous because it isn't like Lincoln is some 30,000 population Podunk town. There are much smaller places out there that are having better success then Nebraska.

It's why Frost may just work. He knows Nebraska, would have passion to succeed greatly at Nebraska and could sell his point of view from personal experience to recruits on Nebraska. He will also have some Florida pipeline (maybe?) coming into Nebraska.

• Plus1 1

10 minutes ago, In the Deed the Glory said:

I would bet his alma mater where he won a National Championship is a bit more than a stepping stone job to him.

I don't think the way I worded that made my thoughts very clear. I think that is just where we are now. If he takes the job, obviously it would mean a lot to him, and I would love him to get us turned around and be here for 30 years. The bottom line is if he is really going to be a top level coach, he will have other opportunities that are more advantageous than Nebraska.

I just think so much damage has been done to NU over the last 20 years that we are going to be a testing ground for unproven coaches and they will move on to better jobs after a couple seasons of 9 wins, or be fired after losing too much. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm hungover and depressed.

edit: I don't think he views NU as a stepping stone, and that is why I doubt he comes here. The ceiling is higher elsewhere.

1 minute ago, Sparker said:

I don't think the way I worded that made my thoughts very clear. I think that is just where we are now. If he takes the job, obviously it would mean a lot to him, and I would love him to get us turned around and be here for 30 years. The bottom line is if he is really going to be a top level coach, he will have other opportunities that are more advantageous than Nebraska. 

I just think so much damage has been done to NU over the last 20 years that we are going to be a testing ground for unproven coaches and they will move on to better jobs after a couple seasons of 9 wins, or be fired after losing too much. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm hungover and depressed.

I see your point, but I think in his eyes there may not be another better job than the one at Nebraska.

• Plus1 2

Right now. I just want hope in Nebraska football and the Nebraska program. I don't get excited looking at the next 3 years under Riley, we have now 2.5 years to look at his time at Nebraska as a sample and his past 30 years of coaching as an example (probably should have looked at his previous 30 years before hiring him). So Frost coming in would do just that, give hope and excitement for the program, even if it doesn't work out. Even if he goes 3-9 in his first year, the hope will still be there that he could turn it around, learn from his mistakes and Nebraska could get better because he is young and again his heart would fully be into building Nebraska back to a power.

All I want is hope in Nebraska.

• Plus1 4