Scott Frost

Whistlepig

6 minutes ago, skers44 said:

Playing Alabama every year doesnt help, and look at LSU last night against Mississippi State, maybe its hard to win in the SEC West?

Les was stubborn and couldn't develop a QB.  I said in another thread, he'd need a smart, strong willed OC who would truly call the shots.  My only concern is his age....How long would he stay.

I still like Frost.  

• Plus1 3

1 minute ago, lo country said:

Les was stubborn and couldn't develop a QB.  I said in another thread, he'd need a smart, strong willed OC who would truly call the shots.  My only concern is his age....How long would he stay.

I still like Frost.  

Oh i like frost also, if les had a qb whisperer/good oc with the running back recruiting he does that would be hard to stop

• Plus1 1

I think many have reserves about Frost because it may be Pelini all over again. Not on a personal level, but remember when the majority of the fan base wanted Pelini, heck wanted Pelini back in 2003 instead of Callahan. And It was probably a huge huge push from the fan base that helped make the decision to hire Pelini when we did. We viewed Pelini as a Nebraska guy in a way, he admired his defense and we desperately needed a defense when we hired him. Pelini was also young and inexperienced as a head coach.

So I think why many are hesitant on Frost right now is because there is some resemblance to the hiring of Pelini.

1 hour ago, VectorVictor said:

I'd wager Scott Frost could trust, say, Trev Alberts... :dunno

Idk that Scott could trust Alberts if Alberts were to treat Scott like he's treated other QBs in the past. He has proven throughout his entire life how much he hates QBs. If history is any indicator, he would probably force feed Scott mud and shoe leather. I just don't see it as a long term fix.

4 minutes ago, Oade said:

Idk that Scott could trust Alberts if Alberts were to treat Scott like he's treated other QBs in the past. He has proven throughout his entire life how much he hates QBs. If history is any indicator, he would probably force feed Scott mud and shoe leather. I just don't see it as a long term fix.

Don't see Alberts as a replacement, but.....

http://www.omaha.com/news/education/uno-looks-at-cuts-fee-increases-wage-freezes-to-balance/article_13e7f7a4-196c-5d28-abd3-9e958b2b7d02.html

1 hour ago, BoneyardHusker said:

And this entire thing about Nebraska being a bad location for recruiting is such bogus rhetoric. First Lincoln is a pretty dang good college college town/city, it has everything other big cities have for college kids. Oklahoma, Oklahoma State get recruits to come to them and they are practically as "remote" as Nebraska. Are they closer to Texas? yes, but taking a flight from Texas to Oklahoma or Texas to Nebraska is maybe a difference of an hour, so you're not that far away in travels.

Pac-12 schools recruit players from Florida all the time, That is separated by the entire country. With Nebraska's facilities, their fans diehard fandom, Lincoln should be an easy sell to football recruits. I mean hearing some people drop the "location" as a negative for Nebraska is just ridiculous because it isn't like Lincoln is some 30,000 population Podunk town. There are much smaller places out there that are having better success then Nebraska.

It's why Frost may just work. He knows Nebraska, would have passion to succeed greatly at Nebraska and could sell his point of view from personal experience to recruits on Nebraska. He will also have some Florida pipeline (maybe?) coming into Nebraska.

Dude, pass that stuff this way because from the way you are talking, its some bomb s#!t.  

You cant be serious...... 

IMHO Scott Frost shouldn't be in the top three on Nebraska's short list, BUT he should be the guy if those guys say no.

My list would go something like this.

1) Guys who will almost certainly say no: Chip Kelly or Bob Stoops. Offer them a bunch of money. They'll say no. Offer them even more money. They'll still say no, then move on.

2) Guys who may say yes: Mike Gundy or Dan Mullen. Gundy is less likely than Mullen, but offer guys like this that have a proven record of success.

3) Frost: I would be happy if Frost was the next head coach, but I think there are other guys Nebraska should offer first.

ill weigh in here...look if you happen to live in a Florida or California like I do, only a certain kid would even consider a place like Lincoln a city. you need only to visit a high school that produces these kids to understand where they're coming from, yeah we'll get kids from those areas that grew up playing in privileged enclaves like Calabasas but very few from inner city programs like LB Poly

also, if Scott Frost is so invested in Nebraska that he'd feel the need to come back to the rescue, why'd he go to Stanford first instead of Nebraska. (I'll answer that, it was a choice based on facts not emotions which is a good trait to have)

Other than the aforementioned,  Lincoln is a fine college town and we have seen a lot of excellent players in that stadium, its just in today's world few kids value a wholesome atmosphere

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Whistlepig said:

ill weigh in here...look if you happen to live in a Florida or California like I do, only a certain kid would even consider a place like Lincoln a city. you need only to visit a high school that produces these kids to understand where's they're coming from, yeah we'll get kids from those areas that grew up playing in privileged enclaves like Calabasas but very few from inner city programs like LB Poly

also, if Scott Frost is so invested in Nebraska that he'd feel the need to come back to the rescue, why'd he go to Stanford first instead of Nebraska. (I'll answer that, it was a choice based on facts not emotions which is a good trait to have)

Other than that Lincoln is a fine college town and we have seen a lot of excellent players in that stadium, its just in todays world few kids value a wholesome atmosphere

It is only remote by thought. If you have never been to Lincoln you may think it's just some sort of farming town in the middle of nowhere. The bottom line is, you come to Lincoln to play football you as a 18 year old can be king of not just a city but an entire state. Nebraska's fan base makes it a very unique place.

if city life was everything to a recruit, then UNLV should be a power, but Nebraska offers everything and if not more then places considered to be in a "big time city" Nebraska offers. In theory Nebraska offers great athletic facilities to better your game and prepare you for the next level. It also offers great tradition and history that you can be apart of.

Look at Washington. Seattle is a great city, it's a big city, but a kid in Seattle can do the same thing as a kid in Lincoln, Nebraska. And you want to talk about isolation, even though Seattle is a big city, it is geographically isolated. That place is tucked away in the far pacific northwest. What does Washington offer a college football player that Nebraska doesn't? You can't be a big guy in city in Seattle, because no matter how great you are the Seahawks run that place. You don't have better facilities then Nebraska, you don't have the rich history as Nebraska. Bigger city? Sure, but essentially the same things to do in Lincoln. Again, if big time fun cities had anything to do with decision UNLV would be a football and basketball powerhouse.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, HuskermanMike said:

Frost needs bit more polishing in my opinion. He has proven a lot in a short amount of time, but he needs to prove he can win rather than just go 6-6. I like Scott but if we were to fire Riley for a potential newby, that is just not what we need right now. Les Miles would be a better hire- hes got a son on the team and has proven he can win. It was just hard for him to win when he had to play Alabama every single year. 

he absolutely is perfect for the job..

1. Frost is not a newbe, he's a proven winner on many levels including at Nebraska, at Oregon and now UCF..

2. he can come to a top tier program thats completely bottomed out and he can be the underdog at a once great program he was a part of and theres no where to go but up from here.. 

3. Nebraska fans will give him more time than any other 'proven coach'.. I know I would!!  Especially if it meant a return to Nebraska football the way it once was..

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, BoneyardHusker said:

It is only remote by thought. If you have never been to Lincoln you may think it's just some sort of farming town in the middle of nowhere. The bottom line is, you come to Lincoln to play football you as a 18 year old can be king of not just a city but an entire state. Nebraska's fan base makes it a very unique place.

if city life was everything to a recruit, then UNLV should be a power, but Nebraska offers everything and if not more then places considered to be in a "big time city" Nebraska offers. In theory Nebraska offers great athletic facilities to better your game and prepare you for the next level. It also offers great tradition and history that you can be apart of.

Look at Washington. Seattle is a great city, it's a big city, but a kid in Seattle can do the same thing as a kid in Lincoln, Nebraska. And you want to talk about isolation, even though Seattle is a big city, it is geographically isolated. That place is tucked away in the far pacific northwest. What does Washington offer a college football player that Nebraska doesn't? You can't be a big guy in city in Seattle, because no matter how great you are the Seahawks run that place. You don't have better facilities then Nebraska, you don't have the rich history as Nebraska. Bigger city? Sure, but essentially the same things to do in Lincoln. Again, if big time fun cities had anything to do with decision UNLV would be a football and basketball powerhouse.

That is a sales point but that only sells to the "right" kind of player ...usually NOT the ones from the hood, which is fine because they do sometimes have issues we don't want to deal with.

however, in the past we've gotten a few to buy in- usually because of their mothers and the fact that USC-Florida St.-Alabama etc slow played or didn't have room for them

And to build off that Seattle, WA isolation. Seattle to LA is about 16 hours. Lincoln to LA is about 21 hours. Either way you got a long car drive or a flight that is different by about an hour. Lincoln also much closer to Texas, and only 21 hours from Florida. Lincoln is also close to Illinois.

You may say it is easier for UW to get southern cal kids then Nebraska because UW can sell playing in So cal and their kids hometown where family and friends can see them play, but UW Doesn't always play USC or UCLA, it is on a rotation and also every team is on TV now so your friends and family can see you play on TV every game. UW also seems to be able to recruit Texas and Florida.