Scott Frost

Whistlepig

Just now, ColoradoHusk said:

But OU is pretty much the #1 program compared to all of those other schools, so they usually get who they want from Texas. 

Sure, but that is based on their coach, at the time of the build to Bob Stoops. Otherwise it doesn't take much for SEC Texas school Texas AM to steal those recruits to "come play in the SEC" or local hometown team now in P5 conference TCU, or the renovated home state Texas Longhorns with their new young energetic, passionate, and clever head coach Tom Herman. Point is, if you have the right coach that fits your program and location, you can sell yourself and program and get into these recruiting hotbeds. And ultimately winning is the key to getting recruits.

4 minutes ago, BoneyardHusker said:

Sure, but that is based on their coach, at the time of the build to Bob Stoops. Otherwise it doesn't take much for SEC Texas school Texas AM to steal those recruits to "come play in the SEC" or local hometown team now in P5 conference TCU, or the renovated home state Texas Longhorns with their new young energetic, passionate, and clever head coach Tom Herman. Point is, if you have the right coach that fits your program and location, you can sell yourself and program and get into these recruiting hotbeds. And ultimately winning is the key to getting recruits.

Lincoln Riley was the key recruiter for the last couple of Stoops' years and that was one of the key factors he was given the job after Stoops retired. I think OU will do just fine in recruiting top talent. 

Just now, ColoradoHusk said:

Lincoln Riley was the key recruiter for the last couple of Stoops' years and that was one of the key factors he was given the job after Stoops retired. I think OU will do just fine in recruiting top talent. 

But it started with Stoops and his winning. Also with Lincoln Riley (HA! we are talking about the location of Lincoln, NE and Mike Riley) will still be wait and see how he does in the long run at OU to see if he will be a success. Obviously at the moment he is doing just fine.

2 minutes ago, BoneyardHusker said:

But it started with Stoops and his winning. Also with Lincoln Riley (HA! we are talking about the location of Lincoln, NE and Mike Riley) will still be wait and see how he does in the long run at OU to see if he will be a success. Obviously at the moment he is doing just fine.

I would say OU was getting great recruits under Bud Wilkinson and Barry Switzer, too. They just had a 10 year blip, and the program was resurrected under Stoops. 

I think LSU could be back in trouble again this season which means Aranda and Orgeron may be out there.  I would only take Orgeron as a DL position coach.  Aranda as D-Coordinator or head coach.  We could do well with Scott Frost Head Coach/Offensive Coordinator and Dave Aranda as Assistant Head Coach/Defensive Coordinator.  Both these guys will be coaching P5 schools in the next 3 years.  Let them build Nebraska back up.  It is going to take time but they have systems that would work here.  

3 minutes ago, chamrocck said:

I think LSU could be back in trouble again this season which means Aranda and Orgeron may be out there.  I would only take Orgeron as a DL position coach.  Aranda as D-Coordinator or head coach.  We could do well with Scott Frost Head Coach/Offensive Coordinator and Dave Aranda as Assistant Head Coach/Defensive Coordinator.  Both these guys will be coaching P5 schools in the next 3 years.  Let them build Nebraska back up.  It is going to take time but they have systems that would work here.  

Well I am fairly certain LSU isn't firing coach O after just 1 year. Isn't LSU somehow and surprisingly not so financially powerful as you'd think? Either way, I think Frost would bring his DC he has with him at UCF. He coached with him at Oregon and he is a good recruiter and appears to be doing fine as a DC.

9 minutes ago, BoneyardHusker said:

Well I am fairly certain LSU isn't firing coach O after just 1 year. Isn't LSU somehow and surprisingly not so financially powerful as you'd think? Either way, I think Frost would bring his DC he has with him at UCF. He coached with him at Oregon and he is a good recruiter and appears to be doing fine as a DC.

Looks like thus is the guy you are referencing as the DC at UCF.  Not too bad.  I think we can find room for him on defense.  I still like my Frost/Aranda duo.  

http://ucfknights.com/coaches.aspx?rc=920&path=football

• Plus1 1

If your relevant, they will play anywhere as long as they win and get NFL exposure.  Lawrence Kansas gets some of the best of  the best for basketball and get some of the worst for football.  Its about winning, tradition and exposure.  

Starts with winning.  You can't lose games to lesser teams.  You can't lose to Iowa every year.  Your not going to win every game every year, but you cant keep getting blasted by Top 10 teams.  Spring an upset and watch the recruits coming.  

OU is the model.  Getting that right fit for a coach is out there.

• Plus1 3

Scott Frost offers the same options that Stoops showed up with a OU 20 years ago.  He will bring in a staff of young hungry coaches who will go out and beat down doors to get recruits.  We keep hiring has beens, never beens, and also beens.  We keep bringing in irrelevant coaches and staff's.  No hunger.  Defeatess attitudes come into here.  We need young hungry coaches.

Stoops went into OU with most of what built KSU into a near national contender as assistants.  Venables, Stoops, Mangino.  They were young and excited to do what they did in year two, a NC.  I don't know if our cupboards have that talent for a two year complete turnaround, but I am guesssing that with a couple great recruits, were relevant in a hurry.

• Plus1 3
2 hours ago, chamrocck said:

Don't forget about Matt Canada too.  Dude is a legit OC.

Still think you go with Les miles first. Scott has done a lot of impressive stuff recently, but needs a little more polishing like I said before. Les has only a few years left in him and he will get to see his son graduate. He will also coach him. I don't know many people who would be disappointed to have him as our coach. Besides losing momentum at LSU because his job was on the line for two years, he won a lot of big games and recruited well. Demote langs to QB coach and find a competent OC and see what he can do with miles power run offense. If he had a decent to above average qb his teams did really good, his defense and run game were good it was poor qb/receiver play that limited them. 

2 minutes ago, HuskermanMike said:

Still think you go with Les miles first. Scott has done a lot of impressive stuff recently, but needs a little more polishing like I said before. Les has only a few years left in him and he will get to see his son graduate. He will also coach him. I don't know many people who would be disappointed to have him as our coach. Besides losing momentum at LSU because his job was on the line for two years, he won a lot of big games and recruited well. Demote langs to QB coach and find a competent OC and see what he can do with miles power run offense. If he had a decent to above average qb his teams did really good, his defense and run game were good it was poor qb/receiver play that limited them. 

Is this the plan if Riley is let go mid season? Because if Les comes into the head coaching role, I do not want Langs retained on the future staff.