Shatel: Danger zone

Saunders

I don’t know where to begin on this one because, well, this wasn’t an upset. If a train wreck occurs in Memorial Stadium and nobody stops to watch, did it happen? As Northern Illinois players stormed the field in celebration, Husker fans shuffled quietly away. The sound of boos had filled the air earlier in the day, but there was nothing but silence now. Was it the sound of acceptance? That’s the question now. This is Nebraska football as we know it in 2017. What happened can no longer be surprising. And that’s the biggest punch in the gut.

• Plus1 1

Nothing new in this story either.  It's been going on like this since atleast Callahan days.   When Frank was fired, the recruiting had been ignored and Frank tried to take the heat off by firing some of the best assistant coaches in Husker history and blamed them for not recruiting (Tenopir and Darlington, etc.).  When S Peterson let Frank got, it was because the recruiting had stopped and the losing had commenced.  He took the most talented program in college football history when he was named coach in Nov 1997 and within 5 years, we were being beaten by teams outside the top 40 and it was not an aberration.  Recruiting was a shambles - at a time when many of the very best in the  country were calling Lincoln to seek a try out and Frank was turning them down or suggesting they play defense, etc.  

The Husker nation was split and shocked in many ways by Frank's dismissal and of course Callahan was hired.  I think the plan A guy backed out or probably tried to hold out for a lot more money and we didn't really have the cash on hand at the time.  Despite the success, money was tighter back then (pre Big Ten cash as we have now).

The recruiting efforts have been made and remade and efforts renewed and etc.  But until we hire a 'splash' big name, big reputation coach, it will continue and if we see this season collapse (I hope not but am very fearful it will), this will be the beginning of the end, sadly.  

1 hour ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

I think the plan A guy backed out or probably tried to hold out for a lot more money

Callahan was more like Plan H. Pederson's top choices either didn't want to work for him or were just using him as leverage to get better contracts where they already were. Callahan just happened to fall into his lap, and at that point he was out of options.

• Plus1 2

This is how Husker Football dies.  Not with a scream, but with a whimper. 

I used to always make sure I could watch the game, was very excited for every game, got really upset when we lost, etc.

Now I watch the game if I have nothing else to do but I've gotten so used to us losing that it no longer really even bothers me that much...  that saddens me beyond words... but maybe that just means I have matured.  But it looks like  I'm not the only one.

11 minutes ago, neepster said:

This is how Husker Football dies.  Not with a scream, but with a whimper. 

I used to always make sure I could watch the game, was very excited for every game, got really upset when we lost, etc.

Now I watch the game if I have nothing else to do but I've gotten so used to us losing that it no longer really even bothers me that much...  that saddens me beyond words... but maybe that just means I have matured.  But it looks like  I'm not the only one.

Same here, but i'll always watch them play. In the blood i guess..

GBR!!!

12 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I mentioned this another thread, but I think there are two central issues that can't be ignored when discussing the current state of Husker football:

1) Harvey Perlman

The gift that keeps on giving...