Circling the Wagons

dvdcrr

OK,

You are the head coach right now for this scenario.  You have seen early through a 1-2 start that you are what you are and there are obvious deficiencies.  You look at the upcoming schedule and have a mandate to fix this, and fix it fast.  Your AD expects a run at a Div. title.  In terms of personnel, scheme, staff, what do you do right now?  What are your highest priorities in order to get ready for the storm?  You have one week.  Clock is ticking!

• Plus1 1

15 minutes ago, dvdcrr said:

OK,

You are the head coach right now for this scenario.  You have seen early through a 1-2 start that you are what you are and there are obvious deficiencies.  You look at the upcoming schedule and have a mandate to fix this, and fix it fast.  Your AD expects a run at a Div. title.  In terms of personnel, scheme, staff, what do you do right now?  What are your highest priorities in order to get ready for the storm?  You have one week.  Clock is ticking!

Interesting question. I don't think my answer would change a lot, but I'll give it a shot.

Diaco has a good track record as a DC. Hope the defense continues to improve and ends up being a solid unit by mid October. On the bright side, Nebraska won't play too many good offenses the rest of the way other than Purdue and Penn State.

Offensively is trickier. The line is struggling. I would play a backup O-lineman at tight end. Help block on pass protection. They need all the help they can get in pass pro. Then, find a way to get the ball into the hands of Pierson-El and Spielman as often as possible. I think Morgan is a better pure receiver, but Pierson-El and Spielman are better playmakers. GET THE BALL INTO THEIR HANDS 10-15 TIMES PER GAME!

Would any of this work? Maybe, but probably not enough to make a big difference. It would at least make things more entertaining. 

Practice finding ways to put pressure on the opposing QB...from the DL as well as bringing LB's and DB's.  This creates the opportunity for sacks or hurries into bad throws which lead to INT's.   

Roll the pocket more...Lee is a statue getting crushed.

Maintain a run game and control clock.  Keep our defense off the field so we have the energy to attack when we need.  

Re-boot on our punt return. Put pressure on the punter (who smartly holds the ball and lets his players get downfield) or actually set up for a good return.  We do neither...choose one each punt return.  Set up for the return or rush the punt so punt is not good.  

I just got two turnovers, added 6+ minutes to our time of possession, lessened the hits on our QB meaning less INT's and fumbles, and greatly increased our field position after punts.  Not too shabby.    

Uncover the identies of Hiskerboard users "Whistlepig" and "TheDude", broker a sit down between the two and begin a debate on the importance (or lack thereof) of Vocabulary...proper use, sophistication, etc, etc. and intervene if a brawl breaks out.

Tape the entire thing, call a meeting with the team captains, show them the recording, and use it as motivation to show them how passionate the fan base is for them...this will get the captains fired up and translate to success on the field.

Leave the d alone.  Incorporate and run: the shovel pass, a bunch of classic run plays (most from the I), the full back 1-2 times a game, a couple short slant passes,  a bunch of designed short throws to the RB, and (this one is the most important) don't throw into coverage unless absolutely necessary (and just throw the ball away when necessary).   This should diversify the offense and make it hard to defend, and also easy up the game for us as we should be able to overpower 1/2 of the teams we play with just power football.  It wouldn't likely allow us to beat any really good teams (osu, wis, penn) but should stop the bleeding.

Oh, forgot to add play with some Fing EMOTION!

• Plus1 1

I think I would get a full scouting report and video package then:

1.  Tell Diaco to keep bringing the heat.  The Defense looks better when they are active.

2.  Go straight to the O-Line coach and say it is go time.  Put up or get out.  That Line better be ready to pancake block at heretofore unheard of rates. 

3.  Install a power running, play action package, and cease all screen passes until the 4th quarter of any game.

4.  Special teams:  Go For some Punt Blocks!  Field the ball!

5.  Any O-Line penalty and you will run until your buddy has to help you to the puke bucket.