The Unfathomable

2 hours ago, grandpasknee said:

Several years back, Bo's team was stinking up the place, and they came to the "win out" spot of the season.  As unlikely as it seemed, they won five or six in a row I think.  

What would happen, both in reality and in Huskerboard-dom, if the game against NIU was a bit flukish, especially on offense.  Say the D continues to improve significantly and the O recovers from the train wreck that was yesterday.  Those things happen, and we wind up 8 - 4.  What if, for the rest of the season, we are that mediocre team that gets the breaks on "any given Saturday"? Where does that leave public opinion on the notion of who should stay or go, and when those things should happen.

Edit:  I have stopped drinking koolaid, and think the odds of this happening are minimal, but it does make for a good question.

Then Riley gets another year. Regardless, I think he'll get a year if he wins more than 5 games.

53 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Sure...

I was at a booster gathering about 4 months ago, Dee was there and she was chatting with some friends, one of whom I know, so I was standing there.  She said "We really like it here but we plan on retiring back in Oregon where a lot of our family is"

This is your evidence that she doesn't like it here (which I believe is what you said in another topic)?

Your evidence that she doesn't like it here is that she says she likes it here? I think if most of us had been asked at the high point during last season where we thought Riley would retire, we would have said Oregon.

Sorry saunders, but I had to ask. If you want to move this into the Woodshed that's fine.

Just now, Moiraine said:

This is your evidence that she doesn't like it here (which I believe is what you said in another topic)?

Your evidence that she doesn't like it here is that she says she likes it here?

Yes...sometimes you have to read between the lines.  

Like if I were to say something like...I love the direction of the team.

4 minutes ago, saunders45 said:

That's now exactly how they said it. They phrased it "as of this moment." They were hopeful, but the gist was, if the wheels come off, it's over.

And they're dead wrong on 3 years not being enough time. It's easily enough time to gauge a coaches tenure. I've posted articles on it over, and over, and over. Year 1 is a free pass, year 2 is "the jump" and you see what a coach can do. Year 3? That's all his work from that point on.

Year 3 we should see results, that I can agree on. I think Mike knows he screwed the pooch bringing his staff from Oregon State BUT I do not think he deserves a mulligan for it either. He made his bed, and has to sleep in it. Still think Cav and Langs are anchors but now its really too late to change course.

Just now, teachercd said:

Yes...sometimes you have to read between the lines.  

Like if I were to say something like...I love the direction of the team.

There is nothing in those lines to read. There's literally nothing in your quote to read between. She said they like it here but they're retiring in Oregon. The latter is what 99% of Nebraska fans would have guessed even if Riley won a national championship.

She may very well hate it here and wants to move immediately, but nothing you just said points to that. It's worthless in trying to show that she doesn't like it here.

Just now, Moiraine said:

There is nothing in those lines to read. There's literally nothing in your quote to read between. She said they like it here but they're retiring in Oregon. The latter is what 99% of Nebraska fans would have guessed even if Riley won a national championship.

She may very well hate it here and wants to move immediately, but nothing you just said points to that. It's worthless in trying to show that she doesn't like it here.

Please stop bringing her up, we were asked to stop.  Thanks!

• Plus1 1

It is year 3 and we are doing worse then we did in year 1. In year 3 we have his system fully in place, and supposedly his players that better fit his system and we are 1-2 with two of the 3 games against mid majors. The other was going to play a team with a  first year head coach and coming off a 4-8 season. We haven't even touched the hard part of our schedule yet and it is this gloomy.

In year 3 and it's this bad? We should all just raise our glasses, have a good laugh at the grand mistake, and move onto the next era.

42 minutes ago, FTW said:

Did you listen to Adam Carriker and Tommie Frazier? I think we are SOL and Riley will be here for at least another year maybe 2 as they said. 3 years is not enough time to install everything and get the right players in place. Financially, Nebraska cannot afford to fire another coach and hit the reset button while we're still writing checks to Bo Pelini.

I didn't hear what Adam or Tommie had to say about it. Yeah it won't be pleasant paying 2 coaches for nothing but my comments were aimed at what is best for results on the football in the shortest time possible. With our revenue stream and boosters they can make it work financially if they want to. Maybe it's time they quit trying to get by on the cheap. That's what got us into this current predicament.

15 minutes ago, El Diaco said:

I didn't hear what Adam or Tommie had to say about it. Yeah it won't be pleasant paying 2 coaches for nothing but my comments were aimed at what is best for results on the football in the shortest time possible. With our revenue stream and boosters they can make it work financially if they want to. Maybe it's time they quit trying to get by on the cheap. That's what got us into this current predicament.

Also isn't Purdue paying their coach more then Nebraska pays Riley? Makes me think Riley's buyout wont be a lot at all.

Nebraska's win total going into the season was 6.5/7 before it got bet up and Vegas doesn't usually miss the mark too often when it comes to win totals.  I'm disappointed that Nebraska is playing poorly but I can't say that I'm really that surprised.  I do feel badly for some of my friends that really swung for the fences and bet some pretty big bucks on Nebraska exceeding their win total.  They're going to be sweating these remaining games pretty hard.

The bottomline is we have to see how the season plays out.  If we get to 8 wins that means we have beaten some pretty good teams and the storyline would be Lee got better and the defense got better so they''ll see if they can improve next year.  No way he is gone if 8 wins.  I think that 8 wins is very unlikely and we will probably end up with 6.  

Things that could really be bad:

Losing to Rutgers or Illinois (these are the worst teams left on our schedule).  We must win these games.    

Suffering another major blowout or two to really anyone (not just OSU).  Watch out for Purdue and Minny to want to make a statement in the West on us.  

I can also see a languishing losing record team pull a Riley upset special (like beating Penn State) and then that may save his job that we are on the rise.  Or what if he changes the QB and we start winning?  The storyline will be we have found our QB for Riley.   

I think these next 2 weeks are very telling...we have to win them both.  If we do there will be some more kool-aid flowing and then see how it goes from there.  I think it is 6 wins with probably at least one more total dud and maybe a shocking upset.  Riley's teams are usually inconsistent this way.   

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, unlfan said:

What is your obsession about posting this about Mike Riley's wife? I've seen it in 2 or 3 threads now. It's weird.

I hinkle it's weirder that people are so bent about including his wife in speculation about Mike's plans for the near future. No one is insulting her or anything, unless saying someone doesn't like living in Nebraska is an insult... it's realistic to assume that his plans would include her and that they'd back a major facor... or do we just pretend she doesn't exist so no one has to say her name, which is apparently a brand new retouching faux pas.

• Plus1 4
1 hour ago, El Diaco said:

8 or 9 wins with no ccg appearance is a failure. 9 wins with a good showing or victory in the cig will do the trick.

This is year 3, time to do something or move on. 9 meaningless wins didn't satisfy me with Pelini and it won't with MR. He's had his 2 adjustment years.

Swiney's first 3 seasons:

4-3

9-5

6-7 (including wins vs N. Texas and Presbyterian)

Following your satisfaction standards would have cost a National Championship.  Pretty steep price wouldn't you say.    

Swiney also inherited a team that had been bringing in top 15 classes prior to his arrival.  Compared to what MR walked into, shouldn't Swiney's record have been better than MR's?     

• Plus1 1