Forde: Hot Seats in Lincoln

Mavric

1 minute ago, unlfan said:

We are already solidly in Mediocre town. Mike Riley has the ability to take us to the cellar of Big Ten West with Illinois. Do not underestimate him.

Look around, Minnesota and Purdue are passing us up as we speak.

Mike Riley has done more damage to this program than Callahan and Bo combined.

I don't disagree.  When NU is in the teens of Big Ten Power Rankings, it's about as bad as it can get.

• Plus1 1

Just now, teachercd said:

Purdue looks like a totally different team.  Attitude, swagger, whatever you want to call it.  They are only dogs by 10 this weekend hosting Michigan.  I am heading to the Husker game at Purdue and at first I thought tickets would be like 5 dollars...now I am thinking that Purdue fans could be out in full force.

You mean a young, energetic coach is bringing attitude, swagger, toughness, and confidence to a team?  I am so surprised!!!

• Plus1 4

1 minute ago, khaake said:

Like Diaco?

And I think the defense is starting to do better, but the attitude, swagger, and toughness should come from the top!!!

I agree that the young energetic coach isn't going to be a great head coach every time.  But, I would rather go that route, over an old man who has 20 years of being a mediocre head coach.

Riley may have better the brand of Nebraska as far as a personal level since he's a nice guy, but as a competitive level, we have declined greatly. Year 2 is proving to be a 9 win season because of TA's athletic ability which won us more games then we probably should have and the experience of TA and Westerkamp. This has been a failure.

58 minutes ago, BoneyardHusker said:

Several differences between TO at that time and Riley now. One thing and it's a major thing, as far as giving time to Riley to see if he turns it around. Riley is in his mid 60's, by the time he he figures it out (if he ever figures it out) he will probably be in his late 60's at looking at retirement leaving us to rebuild all over again. So why not cut ties now rather then hoping to see if something changes in the next couple years and having to rebuild after that.

Why rebuild if he becomes suddenly successful? Because a new coach will likely bring in his own new system that will be different then Riley's and we will again have to wait around for that coach to get his players.

that's a worn out excuse........good coaches use a system that fits the players they inherit.........then they slowly install their scheme as they get the recruits they need to make it work. notice i said..........good coaches. they start winning right away........Frost,etc. 

12 minutes ago, unlfan said:

It's definitely possible. He was getting elite talent here and the offense was really getting going. Obviously the defense and his "fit" with fans were the two giant obstacles.

I'm not sure where the offense was really going.  Beck transfers.  We bring in Keller because I don't think Callahan was very excited about Ganz.  It always seemed like Callahan was always looking for the next big thing.  He gets his next big thing, but the next big thing doesn't pan out.  Callahan just couldn't ever settle on a QB. 

Just now, junior4949 said:

I'm not sure where the offense was really going.  Beck transfers.  We bring in Keller because I don't think Callahan was very excited about Ganz.  It always seemed like Callahan was always looking for the next big thing.  He gets his next big thing, but the next big thing doesn't pan out.  Callahan just couldn't ever settle on a QB. 

I would agree that his offense "wasn't getting going".  In 2007, the offense pretty much sucked in big losses to Okie Lite, Missouri, and Texas A&M.  It was far too inconsistent to be considered a "great offense".

• Plus1 2