Forde: Hot Seats in Lincoln

Mavric

Just now, junior4949 said:

It always seemed like Callahan was always looking for the next big thing.  He gets his next big thing, but the next big thing doesn't pan out.  

And that's why I disagree with some of the previous posters who feel he may have had long term success. He was less head coach of a program and more a salesman of himself. I felt like he was trying to off load an old junker rather than be the representative of the university.

5 minutes ago, brophog said:

And that's why I disagree with some of the previous posters who feel he may have had long term success. He was less head coach of a program and more a salesman of himself. I felt like he was trying to off load an old junker rather than be the representative of the university.

Callahan only took the Nebraska job because he was trying to get himself another HC gig in the NFL.  That's why he was looking for short-term actions when trying to coach at Nebraska.

1 hour ago, khaake said:

I am old enough to remember losing to Iowa State multiples times in the past under Osborne where we were highly rated and expected to cruise. I get the distinct feeling that many of you would have been calling for his head.

This was week three. The defense appears to be improving (cautiously optimistic there). The o-line is very questionable and played an awful game against NIU. Lee appears to be a head-case at this point who is playing well below the ability he has shown in practice. If the o-line play last week proves to be an ongoing issue, it is time to get rid of Cav. No questions there. If Lee cannot get to a comfortable place in games, bench him. But do not make a rash judgement on the entire program.

[minor edit]

Tom lost to Iowa State 3 times - 1976, 77, 1992.  Before you flap your mouth with false equivalencies - get your facts straight.  Comparing TO to MR is a non-starter.  TO still had 9 wins each year & won his bowl games in 76 & 77. In 76 Iowa State was 8-3 and ranked 19th in the final AP poll.  NU ended up 9th.  In 1977 Iowa was 8-4 tied wt NU for 2nd in the Big 8. NU ended up 12th in the AP.  You can't compare ISU of that era to NIU, Ark State or even this year's Oregon team.   1992 was a fluke.

Also, in 76-77 Tom was still in the infancy of his HC career.  MR is in year 100 (or so it seems) and we get this result.  I like MR's personality but all of the :koolaid2:they fed us during the off season is really disturbing when we see the results.  It tells me that (1) they knowingly tried to decive the public of how good this team would be or (2) they really don't have a clue.   Comparing the O for example against our own D in practice is meaningless until you see them in a real game. 

• Plus1 2

2 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Tom lost to Iowa State 3 times - 1976, 77, 1992.  Before you flap your mouth with false equivalencies - get your facts straight.  Comparing TO to MR is a non-starter.  TO still had 9 wins each year & won his bowl games in 76 & 77. In 76 Iowa State was 8-3 and ranked 19th in the final AP poll.  NU ended up 9th.  In 1977 Iowa was 8-4 tied wt NU for 2nd in the Big 8. NU ended up 12th in the AP.  You can't compare ISU of that era to NIU, Ark State or even this year's Oregon team.   1992 was a fluke.

But it is still the case that Tom lost to them. 8 fumbles in the '76 game of which they lost 6. Horrible day against an unranked Iowa State team. A fluke. Kindof like having 2 pick-sixes in the first quarter.

1 minute ago, khaake said:

But it is still the case that Tom lost to them. 8 fumbles in the '76 game of which they lost 6. Horrible day against an unranked Iowa State team. A fluke. Kindof like having 2 pick-sixes in the first quarter.

I added this to my previous post.  And it applies. 

Also, in 76-77 Tom was still in the infancy of his HC career.  MR is in year 100 (or so it seems) and we get this result.  I like MR's personality but all of the :koolaid2:they fed us during the off season is really disturbing when we see the results.  It tells me that (1) they knowingly tried to decive the public of how good this team would be or (2) they really don't have a clue.   Comparing the O for example against our own D in practice is meaningless until you see them in a real game. 

2 minutes ago, khaake said:

Again, there is literally no comparison here.  Yes, when you coach for 25 years, some crap is going to happen.

But those were VERY isolated incidents back in the day.  Now they're about a weekly occurrence.

• Plus1 2
Just now, Mavric said:

Again, there is literally no comparison here.  Yes, when you coach for 25 years, some crap is going to happen.

But those were VERY isolated incidents back in the day.  Now they're about a weekly occurrence.

Benning made a comment on Saturday that's kind of amazing how many different ways that Riley's teams have lost.  Sometimes it's terrible defense.  Sometimes it's terrible offense.  Sometimes it's a hail mary or crazy clock management at the end of the game.  Some of them may be fluky, but they are still losses.  That's the thing with Riley's teams.  They generally find ways to lose games, rather than finding ways to win games.

• Plus1 4
3 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Benning made a comment on Saturday that's kind of amazing how many different ways that Riley's teams have lost.  Sometimes it's terrible defense.  Sometimes it's terrible offense.  Sometimes it's a hail mary or crazy clock management at the end of the game.  Some of them may be fluky, but they are still losses.  That's the thing with Riley's teams.  They generally find ways to lose games, rather than finding ways to win games.

It's like we're ignoring what Oregon State fans were telling us.

• Plus1 4

6 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

A little bit of hyperbole there. I seem to remember a few times last year that they found ways to win games.

37 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

Honestly, the best scenario may be:

• Eichorst to be fired and a new AD brought in
  • Cavanaugh and Langsdorf are terminated, and a new OC and OL coach are brought in
  • Riley is more or less relegated to a caretaker role while the coordinators do their thing. 

No thanks. This entire staff is mediocre and not winning us anything. They all go IMO.

• Plus1 2

Not sure if relevant anymore in this discussion, but I'm pretty sure the "wow" hire that backed out on SDSP was Al Saunders.  (The question was asked on page 1)

http://cjonline.com/stories/010204/chi_saunders.shtml#.Wb_3XIgrK70

And, of course there was Houston Nutt and Mike Zimmer, who both publicly turned us down.  A behind-the-scenes search firm would have been a much better way to go.

Not that any of them would have had any more success than Callahan had.  We will never know.

29 minutes ago, saunders45 said:

It's like we're ignoring what Oregon State fans were telling us.

Yep!  Exactly.

Look, we all want the Huskers to be good.  A lot of us rolled our eyes at this hire and a lot actually said they had to google who Mike Riley was when he was hired.  I rolled my eyes because I knew who he was and didn't think much of the hire.  I didn't think he would do well here and the first year was filled with excuses and mystery toxins.  The second year started off awesome and then turned out pretty lame but still above I would say for an overall record.  Now the Skers have lost like 6 out of 9...they don't look all that good and there is a chance they get pounded a few times this season.  Beaver fans basically laid out this road map for us.  Some coaches are great, some are good, some are average and some are bad.  Mike is between average and good.  We knew that coming in.

6 minutes ago, Red Five said:

It was Dave Wannstedt

I think it is pronounced Wanstache 

• Plus1 4