Forde: Hot Seats in Lincoln

Mavric

16 minutes ago, Red Five said:

It was Dave Wannstedt

Could be.  That was a rumor at the time, but was never confirmed.  Perlman directly denied it in a 2016 interview, though.  (he wouldn't reveal the name):

https://www.cornnation.com/2016/5/12/11661694/so-who-was-steve-pedersons-wow-nfl-candidate-from-the-2003-nebraska

Saunders, Nutt, and Zimmer were confirmed.  God knows how many others there were.

Out of pure speculation, I always thought it was Cowher. Simply because he and SP were in Pitt at the same time and I'm sure their paths crossed a time or two.

Cowher goes 6-10 in 2003, and may have led Pederson to believe he'd be interested in NU just to lock something up just in case the Steelers axed him. They don't, he ends up going back on his word and NU is left flat footed. 

3 hours ago, unlfan said:

If I remember correctly thats actually what he called Nebraska fans haha. Which is "Exhibit A" for why his "fit" was a giant obstacle.

Nope. It was what he called Oklahoma fans after he went for a late field goal in the waning minutes of Oklahoma's (then) shutout of us and they started booing. 

I was in Norman for that game, so I remember the boos and Oklahoma fans telling me about the slight post-game. That, and they still couldn't believe we let Solich go for Billy C.

2 hours ago, teachercd said:

Yep!  Exactly.

Look, we all want the Huskers to be good.  A lot of us rolled our eyes at this hire and a lot actually said they had to google who Mike Riley was when he was hired.  I rolled my eyes because I knew who he was and didn't think much of the hire.  I didn't think he would do well here and the first year was filled with excuses and mystery toxins.  The second year started off awesome and then turned out pretty lame but still above I would say for an overall record.  Now the Skers have lost like 6 out of 9...they don't look all that good and there is a chance they get pounded a few times this season.  Beaver fans basically laid out this road map for us.  Some coaches are great, some are good, some are average and some are bad.  Mike is between average and good.  We knew that coming in.

I think it is pronounced Wanstache 

Scary part is of those 6 loses the only really "acceptable" loss would be Wiscy. Now we should've won that game but I was ok with how our team looked that night. The 5 losses to follow have been downright ugly and no fun to watch really. 

The Ohio State game was a debacle from the start. 

Iowa was embarassing

Tennessee was going to be tough without Tommy and Westy and our O-line (Nick Gates) got embarrassed 

Oregon was possibly the worst first half of football I've seen a Nebraska team play

NIU was ________. I truly have no words to describe that game. 

2 hours ago, teachercd said:

Yep!  Exactly.

Look, we all want the Huskers to be good.  A lot of us rolled our eyes at this hire and a lot actually said they had to google who Mike Riley was when he was hired.  I rolled my eyes because I knew who he was and didn't think much of the hire.  I didn't think he would do well here and the first year was filled with excuses and mystery toxins.  The second year started off awesome and then turned out pretty lame but still above I would say for an overall record.  Now the Skers have lost like 6 out of 9...they don't look all that good and there is a chance they get pounded a few times this season.  Beaver fans basically laid out this road map for us.  Some coaches are great, some are good, some are average and some are bad.  Mike is between average and good.  We knew that coming in.

I think it is pronounced Wanstache 

He WAS a good coach at OSU.  That place is a graveyard and he brought us some good seasons.  What's not being mentioned is his age.  He's old.  He' grandfatherly and that lack of fire shows.  

I just don't understand how anyone can continue to support this coach.  Hoodwinked, and lied to. 

You just can't continue to support a man who says one thing then does another.  He has said he doesn't want to be throwing 40+ times, but here we sit his quarterback is throwing 40 times a game with inefficiency, and leading FBS in interceptions. 

And this isn't the first year of this either.

I can't support this coach anymore.