What happen to NU swag?

ladyhawke

I heard one of the local sports radio station folks talking about how there isn't any 'swag' on the sidelines from the players like there used to be. That lead to them asking how much of the recent losses are on the players themselves? (Please don't shoot the messenger!) I miss how the players used to always be on their feet, encouraging each other, getting in each other's faces when a play went bad. How they would try to get the crowd involved. Is this all on the coaches?  I know we have a young team in many positions and switching their positions back and forth can't be easy but what do you all think? 90% on coaches 10% on players? Or are our boys at the mercy of these coaches? I miss the Husker 'Fire'.

• Plus1 1

They've been, to put it in the best possible light, "businesslike" on the sidelines for a while.  The current recipe to beat Nebraska is to "punch them in the mouth early, and they'll fold."  We've heard that from several teams for several years.  So opponents come in amped up to give us their best shot, we don't match that intensity, and the guys just kind of chill on the sideline. 

Holly Sonders talked about it in the first half of the NIU game.  She said there was no energy on the Nebraska sideline and no sense of urgency. 

• Plus1 5
Just now, knapplc said:

They've been, to put it in the best possible light, "businesslike" on the sidelines for a while.  The current recipe to beat Nebraska is to "punch them in the mouth early, and they'll fold."  We've heard that from several teams for several years.  So opponents come in amped up to give us their best shot, we don't match that intensity, and the guys just kind of chill on the sideline. 

Holly Sonders talked about it in the first half of the NIU game.  She said there was no energy on the Nebraska sideline and no sense of urgency. 

The only urgency Riley showed during the NIU game was getting the chap stick out of his pocket.

• Plus1 3
1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

The only urgency Riley showed during the NIU game was getting the chap stick out of his pocket.

Didn't see this one coming.  I've been waiting for a meme to pop-up around here.  I'm sure all the chap-stick slapstick people got all worked up over TO just chomping his gum.

I don't blame the coaches for the players not having "swagger".  Having a sack and want-to is totally 100% on the players.

• Plus1 6

I don't know, I think it does kind of go to the coaches. It's not easy to foster the right sort of culture and environment and I don't want to be too hard on the coaches when things aren't going the right way. I'm happy to give them time -- lots of it -- to right the ship, keep plugging away, etc.

But at some point the only logical answer is there needs to be a new voice at the top. We're not there yet, but Riley is not helping his case, unfortunately. I'm just hoping he gets the next two years to show otherwise, because I really believe in what this coaching staff is all about off the field.

7 minutes ago, zoogs said:

I don't know, I think it does kind of go to the coaches. It's not easy to foster the right sort of culture and environment and I don't want to be too hard on the coaches when things aren't going the right way. I'm happy to give them time -- lots of it -- to right the ship, keep plugging away, etc.

But at some point the only logical answer is there needs to be a new voice at the top. We're not there yet, but Riley is not helping his case, unfortunately. I'm just hoping he gets the next two years to show otherwise, because I really believe in what this coaching staff is all about off the field.

Are you talking about recruiting?  Are you referencing their off the field behavior?  At what point are you going to judge the coaches what happens on the field?

2 hours ago, knapplc said:

How do you think that energy is cultivated?  Right now that Gifford kid is my hero. He may not be the best player but he's got a Husker Heart. However, it takes a whole team of that kind of heart to light a fire.  I think Diaco is doing that for the defense. But who is doing this for the offense?  

2 minutes ago, ladyhawke said:

How do you think that energy is cultivated?  Right now that Gifford kid is my hero. He may not be the best player but he's got a Husker Heart. However, it takes a whole team of that kind of heart to light a fire.  I think Diaco is doing that for the defense. But who is doing this for the offense?  

Some players, it comes from inside them.  You never have to motivate them because they're always at 11.  Some guys need to be coached up, but they'll perform lights-out when they are. 

So it's a mixture.  But personally, I put more onus on the players than the coaches. You can do everything in your power to motivate me, but if I refuse to perform, that's on me, not you.

• Plus1 1

Went to the LJS to have some drinks after the game this weekend. Started talking to a guy from my hometown and he mentioned that one way or another the knew someone on the sidelines for the NIU game. This person said that there was a good section of the bench that was laughing and having a good time when NU was down 14-0. Now this could be fabricated I realize that. But to even have this be a possibility is troubling. 

2 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Some players, it comes from inside them.  You never have to motivate them because they're always at 11.  Some guys need to be coached up, but they'll perform lights-out when they are. 

So it's a mixture.  But personally, I put more onus on the players than the coaches. You can do everything in your power to motivate me, but if I refuse to perform, that's on me, not you.

I agree. Man, I miss those days when our boys would come out on the field and totally decimate the opponent.  I see sparks of that now but they are so fleeting. 

Just now, wiuhusker said:

Went to the LJS to have some drinks after the game this weekend. Started talking to a guy from my hometown and he mentioned that one way or another the knew someone on the sidelines for the NIU game. This person said that there was a good section of the bench that was laughing and having a good time when NU was down 14-0. Now this could be fabricated I realize that. But to even have this be a possibility is troubling. 

Wow. That just makes my heart hurt. I guess I know there are boys from here in Nebraska that would give their right arm to play for the Huskers. They would fight their tails off too. So sad.