What happen to NU swag?

ladyhawke

3 hours ago, NM11046 said:

I don't disagree that it's important to the state.  But if you ever left the state you'd see that there are programs equally important to their respective areas.  We aren't the only ones that love our boys.  Our program's history is not that different than many others.  We had an amazing run a couple times, we've struggled some years, we've had coaches good and bad come and go.  I think our sense of entitlement and the fact that we think we're "special" and talk about it openly, often sets us apart, and not always in a good way.

I too will never think there' s a better team than Nebraska, but my neighbors from ND, Michigan, Alabama, Michigan State, Boston College all fly their flags on Saturday just like me.  If you were out on a weekend you'd see any number of alumni groups gathering in pubs to watch the games.  All of us walking the dogs talk smack about our teams' recruiting efforts and schedules.  

Glad to see we are kindred spirits!  (I hope you weren't offended by my come back.  I didn't mean to offend anyone.  I just miss our team.  You sound like you were here during the Glory Days as well.  I think we tend to 'live there' in our heads sometimes, I know I'm guilty of that.) I guess I think that having won as many national championships in our past history sets us apart from many of the other programs in college football.   There are several 'blue chip' programs and I include Nebraska in that number even though right now it doesn't seem like we are, but there are also many programs that would love to have what we have.  Anyway, good discussion.  That's why I'm a member of the HB!  GO BIG RED!

22 hours ago, knapplc said:

They've been, to put it in the best possible light, "businesslike" on the sidelines for a while.  The current recipe to beat Nebraska is to "punch them in the mouth early, and they'll fold."  We've heard that from several teams for several years.  So opponents come in amped up to give us their best shot, we don't match that intensity, and the guys just kind of chill on the sideline. 

Holly Sonders talked about it in the first half of the NIU game.  She said there was no energy on the Nebraska sideline and no sense of urgency. 

Holly Sonders inspired some energy and sense of urgency for views across the country, I thought.

33 minutes ago, ladyhawke said:

Glad to see we are kindred spirits!  (I hope you weren't offended by my come back.  I didn't mean to offend anyone.  I just miss our team.  You sound like you were here during the Glory Days as well.  I think we tend to 'live there' in our heads sometimes, I know I'm guilty of that.) I guess I think that having won as many national championships in our past history sets us apart from many of the other programs in college football.   There are several 'blue chip' programs and I include Nebraska in that number even though right now it doesn't seem like we are, but there are also many programs that would love to have what we have.  Anyway, good discussion.  That's why I'm a member of the HB!  GO BIG RED!

+1 - I'm with ya sista!  And yes, I lived through all the missed field goals and go for two's as well as the Tommy runs and dominance of the Blackshirts.  Ups and downs - We all stick together in all kinds of weather (and FB seasons) :-) .  That does make us special I think.  I hate to see people being so openly negative and disappointed in this group - they're kids, and it is a ton of pressure to live up to the expectations of this fanbase.  They love and respect their coaching staff from what i can see.  They should do better than they did last weekend, and in my positive bubble, they will be the team we need to see this weekend against Rutgers.

3 hours ago, NM11046 said:

+1 - I'm with ya sista!  And yes, I lived through all the missed field goals and go for two's as well as the Tommy runs and dominance of the Blackshirts.  Ups and downs - We all stick together in all kinds of weather (and FB seasons) :-) .  That does make us special I think.  I hate to see people being so openly negative and disappointed in this group - they're kids, and it is a ton of pressure to live up to the expectations of this fanbase.  They love and respect their coaching staff from what i can see.  They should do better than they did last weekend, and in my positive bubble, they will be the team we need to see this weekend against Rutgers.

Yes, they are just kids. That Gifford kid is my hero right now.  He is one of those boys that has the Nebraska spirit (Because he is a Nebraska kid!). I'm hoping to see some change this weekend too!  I wish that Coach Riley would be more flexible with his substitutes.   When one player is off for the day, put in another.  There's no shame in that. I would like to see more leadership from the boys on the sidelines though. Man, back in the day those Husker players rarely sat down!  

• Plus1 1

Agreed - I've got some family ties to Gifford and couldn't be more proud!  I just got a bunch of highlighted clippings in the mail about him!  

It will be interesting to see who steps up during this time.  Some leaders talk, some lead by example so I'm sure there is that behind the scenes as well.

• Plus1 1