Riley's Head Coaching Career -- Bad losses & Ranked Wins

On 9/18/2017 at 5:30 PM, Hans Gruber said:

I like what you did here. I would add one other tidbit. Mike Riley owns three of the worst losses in the last 50 years of Nebraska football with probably THE worst loss.

2015 Purdue went 2-10 and beat Nebraska by 10. And the game wasn't even as close as the score indicated. That's the worst loss since Devaney took over.

Toss in a loss to 5-7 Illinois in 2015 and a loss to NIU this year, when the Huskies were coming off a 5-7 season, and Riley has three of the 10 worst losses since 1962.

Uh oh...the Purdue game!!!

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, neepster said:

The TO loss to ASU in 1996 - a year after what was probably the best team to ever play college football was pretty bad... speaking from someone who was unlucky enough to be there....

And that ASU team went undefeated in the regular season, and was seconds away from beating Ohio State in the Rose Bowl, or they have a claim to the National Championship, over a 1-loss Florida team.  At the time the loss seemed pretty bad, but all in all it was just the end of a great NU run, and a loss to a very good/great team. 

• Plus1 1

Arizona St played in the Rose bowl for a chance to maybe split the national title.  19-10 loss at Tempe was a bad loss compared to what has happened since then?  We wonder why no one can lead this program to the promise land.  I would consider letting Texas beat us in the Big 12 title game in 96' a worse loss since that game cost us a chance at even playing for a spot in the title game again.  Remember what you want to remember, but that game in St Louis was the start of the Texas program and the demise of ours.

On 9/18/2017 at 3:51 PM, ColoradoHusk said:

For sake of comparison, here are Pelini's bad losses and ranked wins at NU.  I am not trying to make this a Bo vs. Riley thing, just showing the info.  I do give credit to Bo for limiting the bad losses.  He just didn't win "big enough" to keep his job.

2008 - No bad losses and no ranked wins

2009 - No bad losses, ranked wins vs. #20 Oklahoma, #22 Arizona

2010 - Bad losses against Texas (borderline bad loss in bowl game against Washington), ranked wins vs. #17 Okie State #7 Missouri

2011 - Bad loss vs. Northwestern, ranked win vs. #9 Michigan State #12 Penn State

2012 - No bad losses, ranked win vs. #20 Michigan

2013 - No bad losses, ranked win vs. #23 Georgia (bowl game)

2014 - No bad losses or ranked wins

I don't know if you applied the same logic to the OSU years, but this is absurd.

2008 - Losses to Missouri and Oklahoma were bad losses. It's understandable that we lost them, but the way in which we lost them was very, very poor football, regardless of how good those teams were.

2009 - Um, Iowa State? Texas Tech? Forget about the team's record - we played like absolute horse s#!t against teams not as good as us. Those were BAD losses.

2010 - Washington in the bowl was no borderline. It was a terrible loss.

2011 - The loss against Wisconsin was a bad loss. So was the loss against Michigan. It's about how YOU play, not how good the other team is.

2012 - Ohio State was most certainly a bad loss, and the Wisconsin championship game was also a terrible loss. 

2013 - UCLA, Minnesota and Iowa were all bad losses. 

2014 - Wisconsin was pretty terrible.

No bad losses in 5 of Bo's 7 years is one of the most absurd things I've ever seen argued on huskerboard.

• Plus1 4