Riley's Head Coaching Career -- Bad losses & Ranked Wins

6 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I agree with Landlord's point though even when you take into account OP's justification for his method. Those were all bad losses and moving the goal posts to make them seem less relevant is somewhat duplicitous.

I don't think anyone is "moving the goalposts" here. You can call it whatever you want, but the OP's analysis is still the same. And troubling. 

EDIT: And if you disagree with the OP's definition of bad losses and want to add some embarrassing blowouts, don't stop in 2014...  

Generating specific criteria to exclude relevant data points is a little disingenuous or perhaps misguided.

I don't think this has to be a discussion of 'my method is better than yours.' My point, and I believe Landlord's overall point, is it's probably wise to look at all the data and not pigeon-hole yourself into one way of thinking to form a narrative. I think OP has a point but it's missing the mark a little bit, in my opinion. As an analogy, say I wanted to talk about bad car crashes and said I only count a crash as 'bad' if someone dies. That's certainly one way to evaluate the data but I'd also have to acknowledge that it leaves out some pretty crucial data points like crashes that caused life-threatening injuries, crashes that critically injured two or more parties, etc.

Landlord's first sentence was "I don't know if you applied the same logic to the OSU years." By the OP's criteria, he did. 

I don't disagree that there are other criteria that can also be added to analyze how sh*tty some other Mike Riley and Bo Pelini performances were. 

I honestly don't care what Riley did at Oregon St.  It is historically one of the worst programs in P5 history and he did what he did with so little financial support it's unreal.

What I do care about is his record at Nebraska.  He has been given literally everything to succeed.  And he isn't.

I thought Solich giving up 62 to Colorado and following it up with a 7-7 season was fireable.

I thought Callahan having (2) 5-7 seasons and giving up 60+ points in several games was fireable

I thought Bo's behavior and giving up 60+ points in several games was fireable

I think Riley losing to a MAC team is fireable

Just now, StPaulHusker said:

I honestly don't care what Riley did at Oregon St.  It is historically one of the worst programs in P5 history and he did what he did with so little financial support it's unreal.

What I do care about is his record at Nebraska.  He has been given literally everything to succeed.  And he isn't.

I thought Solich giving up 62 to Colorado and following it up with a 7-7 season was fireable.

I thought Callahan having (2) 5-7 seasons and giving up 60+ points in several games was fireable

Man, I forgot about KU scoring over 60 on NU when BC was the HC...

I defined "bad losses" to make it as non-subjective as possible.  It was simply an effort to show how Riley loses to teams that I would consider inferior teams.  I didn't include a number of losses Oregon State had to Boise State, because although they were a non-Power 5 conference team, they have been consistently a very good program the past 20 years.  I also didn't include "blowout" losses because the definition of a blowout is pretty subjective.

I consider the Purdue loss in 2015 very troubling because not only was that to a very bad team, but I consider that a blowout loss (even though others don't).

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

I also really only care what Riley does at Nebraska, but I wanted to show a disturbing trend that Riley has had in his entire coaching career, especially from 2010 on.

Here is a disturbing trend:  Counting blowouts (21 point loss or more) and games where we gave up 50+ points

Osborne in 25 years:

7 blowouts.  4 to Oklahoma.  No 50, 60, 70 point games.  No lower conference losses.

Solich in 6 years:

7 blowouts.  (1) 60pt game.  All in the last 3 years of career

Callahan in 4 years:  

8 blowouts.  (1) 60pt game.  (2) 70pt games.  Also a loss to Southern Miss

Pelini in 7 years:

9 blowouts.  (2) 50pt games, (2) 60pt games, (1) 70pt game

Riley in 2 years + 3 games

2 blowouts.  1 60pt game.  Loss to BYU and NIU

• Plus1 1
15 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

And that ASU team went undefeated in the regular season, and was seconds away from beating Ohio State in the Rose Bowl, or they have a claim to the National Championship, over a 1-loss Florida team.  At the time the loss seemed pretty bad, but all in all it was just the end of a great NU run, and a loss to a very good/great team. 

I agree, but that didn't make walking down the street in my Nebraska gear next to the goalpost the ASU fans had torn down any funner at the time. ;) 

21 minutes ago, neepster said:

I agree, but that didn't make walking down the street in my Nebraska gear next to the goalpost the ASU fans had torn down any funner at the time. ;) 

That loss definitely sucked. We had a small house party with keg for the game.

There were probably 30 guys and maybe 5 girls because girls avoided our house like the plague. I threw a giant mug across the room during the game, punched a whole in the siding on the front of our house, and sat in disbelief on our curb for nearly an hour. 

6 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

That loss definitely sucked. We had a small house party with keg for the game.

There were probably 30 guys and maybe 5 girls because girls avoided our house like the plague. I threw a giant mug across the room during the game, punched a whole in the siding on the front of our house, and sat in disbelief on our curb for nearly an hour. 

Yeah it sucked worse than normal because we were coming off a stretch where we were 36-1 or something, and ASU had not at that point been that great.  Literally the mood of the Husker fans pre-game was 'are we gonna win by 21 or 50?'.  Everyone after that game was basically in shock.  I remember bubble screen after bubble screen that our guys literally had no answer for and Scott Frost looking like a deer in the headlights (obviously that didn't last too long down the stretch - thankfully) but at the time I was convinced something WRONG had happened and our team had been replaced with dopplegangers or something.  Who knew that Jake the Snake was a legit NFL QB threat and that ASU team had defensive backs like Pat Tillman on it?

So in hindsight it doesn't look so bad but at the time it was like getting sucker punched.  Of course I was younger then and stupidly had a bigger portion of my self esteem tied to the team.  Older and wiser now...and of course 16 years of godawful results has helped as well :0

• Plus1 1