Lincoln suggestions for a Wisconsin fan

badgers007

Mentioned in the off-season that I would be stopping back for some suggestions as we get closer to Wisconsin @ Nebraska on October 7th.

I will be driving from Chicago.  We're likely to get to the hotel around 3:00pm on Friday.  In our mid-20's and looking for suggestions regarding food, bars, pregame spots / tailgates, etc.

For Friday, where would you suggest to eat and grab some craft beer before going out at night?  I know Lincoln has Hopcat, and there's also one in Chicago and Madison, but how is Boiler Brewing and Longwell's?  Any other suggestions for places with quality beer and bar food?  Is there a main strip of bars to go out at night?

Game-time hasn't been announced, but what should we look to do on Saturday with respect to bars and tailgating?

Lastly, for tickets/seating in Memorial Stadium, are there sections worth avoiding due to obstructed views, etc.?

Thanks in advance!

• Plus1 1

Longwell's is going to be the best place if you wish to watch any sports because of their giant screen.  Misty's is a staple for a good steak and they have a downtown location too.  Lots of tailgating all around the stadium wherever anyone can put one.  The Embassy Suites has a really nice set-up.  The bars on O street are "the strip" in lincoln.  If you want pizza that isn't your usual chain type of place head to Yia Yia's.  

Avoid any seats in the east or west stadium that are too far under the deck--the support pillars will impede your view and if people stand up causing you to have to stand the deck will block part of the field.   Also the last few rows in the east and west stands are too low and the teams and other people on the field block your view.  These rows were added when the track was removed 50+ years ago.  Here's a link to a map that show the obstructed view seats in yellow.  http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&ATCLID=211027703

• Plus1 2

Lazlo's down in the Haymarket would be a good spot for a Friday night for food and beer. Misty's is a steakhouse downtown and would also be a good spot. Longwell's is a fun spot, not my favorite, but definitely fun. If you want wings, I'd say check out Watering Hole on O Street. I'm partial to the Garlic Parm.  

O Street has a strip of bars, but it's kind of the "I just turned 21!" crowd, it can be fun if that's what you're looking for. The Railyard is a little more relaxed vibe. Tavern on the square and Gate 25 are good spots to just kick it. 

1 hour ago, Herbie95 said:

Longwell's is going to be the best place if you wish to watch any sports because of their giant screen.  Misty's is a staple for a good steak and they have a downtown location too.  Lots of tailgating all around the stadium wherever anyone can put one.  The Embassy Suites has a really nice set-up.  The bars on O street are "the strip" in lincoln.  If you want pizza that isn't your usual chain type of place head to Yia Yia's.  

Avoid any seats in the east or west stadium that are too far under the deck--the support pillars will impede your view and if people stand up causing you to have to stand the deck will block part of the field.   Also the last few rows in the east and west stands are too low and the teams and other people on the field block your view.  These rows were added when the track was removed 50+ years ago.  Here's a link to a map that show the obstructed view seats in yellow.  http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&ATCLID=211027703

Is Embassy Suites an organized event or do they just open their lot for people to park/tailgate?

Thanks for seating recommendations.  Wisconsin's allotment is sold out, but if we found tickets in the visitor sections in NE or SW part of the stadium, are those OK for viewing?

1 hour ago, Fru said:

Lazlo's down in the Haymarket would be a good spot for a Friday night for food and beer. Misty's is a steakhouse downtown and would also be a good spot. Longwell's is a fun spot, not my favorite, but definitely fun. If you want wings, I'd say check out Watering Hole on O Street. I'm partial to the Garlic Parm.  

O Street has a strip of bars, but it's kind of the "I just turned 21!" crowd, it can be fun if that's what you're looking for. The Railyard is a little more relaxed vibe. Tavern on the square and Gate 25 are good spots to just kick it. 

Think we're partial to both a "rowdier" and "relaxed" crowd, so good to know there are options in close proximity to one another.

50 minutes ago, badgers007 said:

Is Embassy Suites an organized event or do they just open their lot for people to park/tailgate?

Thanks for seating recommendations.  Wisconsin's allotment is sold out, but if we found tickets in the visitor sections in NE or SW part of the stadium, are those OK for viewing?

Embassy Suites is an organized event that is free to the public.  However you are going to have to park someplace else. 

Both NE or SW parts of the stadium are ok viewing and I believe those are where the visitor sections are located.  The largest instant replay board is above the North stands and the visiting team runs out of the SW corner of the endzone so you may prefer SW to the NE.  Also if Wisconsin brings a pep band they would typically be in the SE section of the stadium near their fans. I have seasons ticket in the NE and I think it's just fine particularly with a new wrap around instant replay boards directly in front of me.  

9 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Check out Blur Parties...you can buy tickets that are like 50 dollars for all you can drink and eat.  It is a great spot and tons of fun

http://blurparties.com/omaha

Other than that, bar hop on O street.  I would hit The Bar The Bar since you are in your mid 20's, I would hit Sandy's (starts early there), I would hit up Barry's and get on the rooftop.

Yes, I agree Barry's on the rooftop is a must.  Barry's is a long time establishment that has a lot of history.  It's been there forever.