Some Positives

4 hours ago, Kiyoat Husker said:

Most of our goals are still intact.  Technically we can still win the West and have a shot at a conference title.  The CFP wouldn't have us at that point, but this season is not over.  We have not yet played one down of B1G football.

One game at a time.

You realize the chance of us winning the B1G is 0.1%....  we have to win out from here on out basically.  Against tOSU and PSU and Wisky and Purdue (and then likely Michigan)...  theoretically possible, but it is also theoretically possible that you will win the lottery too... :)

18 minutes ago, neepster said:

You realize the chance of us winning the B1G is 0.1%....  we have to win out from here on out basically.  Against tOSU and PSU and Wisky and Purdue (and then likely Michigan)...  theoretically possible, but it is also theoretically possible that you will win the lottery too... :)

Hey, I'm just saying lets not start counting our losses before we get them.  Football is a funny game.  Anything can happen.  From week to week teams can appear to be more or less than they are.  It's part of why football is fun to watch (usually).

28 minutes ago, Kiyoat Husker said:

Hey, I'm just saying lets not start counting our losses before we get them.  Football is a funny game.  Anything can happen.  From week to week teams can appear to be more or less than they are.  It's part of why football is fun to watch (usually).

FWIW, I agree.  Anything can happen and usually does :)  That's why the games can be fun to watch even if you are pretty sure you know who is going to win... and heck, if I could predict with 100% certainty I'd be in Vegas making a killing... 

1 minute ago, neepster said:

FWIW, I agree.  Anything can happen and usually does :)  That's why the games can be fun to watch even if you are pretty sure you know who is going to win... and heck, if I could predict with 100% certainty I'd be in Vegas making a killing... 

Oh, and BTW, we don't necessarily have to win out in order to win the conference.  We just have to win more than the rest of the West.  And win the "right" games for the Head-to-Head wins.  And win the CCG.

Basically we need to beat Wisconsin, and have them lose to a team or two that they shouldn't, and one that they should.

Not likely, but certainly not impossible.

NU could go on a 2016 PSU run. I just really don't think so. The D seems to be showing some life and may keep the team in a few games... But the O-Line is basically nonexistent, RB has all kinds of question marks, WR's can't catch and our QB is a college version of 2013 Matt Schaub. 

Back to the thread topic: (some positives)

1.  Now we are really really really "under the radar".  Like ninja-level.

1.5 We get the rare opportunity to "steal a win" from Purdue.

2. Bob Diaco's quotes might get more bizarre and entertaining by the week, as he succumbs to the absurdity of this season.

3. We get to have ADSE "assess where Rugers was" in the final analysis.

• Plus1 2

15 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Let's not shyt on everything. 

You've been here long enough to know what happens next.

Right now everyone is mad, and everyone is lashing out at everything.  Everyone has their own theory about why we are struggling.  The line, the skill players, the QB's incurable lack of accuracy, the QB's incurable lack of escapability, the HC, the coordinators, the position coaches, the recruiting, the media, the fans, etc.

This will be gradually whittled down to two or three arguments.  Factions will form that viciously debate their theory (Bolievers/Bo-leavers).

The only thing that will finally bring it back together is winning, and winning a lot.  Or an expensive and disruptive coaching change.

Yay.

To win the Big Ten, we need only win the west division which does NOT require that we go undefeated in the Big Ten.  We simply need to win as many as the next 'best' team in the division and then be sure we beat them in our meeting with them.  LOL

However, based on the three (3) - not just one or two - games thus far, there is a much greater likelihood we lose all of our conference games than we win the division and or the conference title.

While it can be said that we are just a few plays and yards and points away from being unbeaten, we are also about 9 yards and a 2 point conversion from being winless.  We have NOT outplayed any of our opponents regardless of the scoreboard.  We were nearly blown out by Oregon and if a couple more bad things had happened last Saturday, we could have lost by a fairly big score to NIU.   Ugh.

Seriously folks:   how many of you honestly believe that Ark State, Oregon and or NIU could 'win' the Big Ten west let alone the title?

How many feel that Huskies are better than ANY of the Big Ten teams?  How many feel Ark State could give Wisconsin and or Ohio State or Penn State or Michigan a good game?

These are subjective questions and matters of the eye test and opinion, but as dedicated football fans, we are all more or less 'experts' (at least semi pros) and our opinions are probably as good as most any others.  

5 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Seriously folks:   how many of you honestly believe that Ark State, Oregon and or NIU could 'win' the Big Ten west let alone the title?

Irrelevant. One of the big issues in analysis is this tendency to use strength of schedule as a metric and not a filter. What matters is what Nebraska is doing, not the results. Strength of schedule filters are simply means of extrapolation for comparison.

For example, let's say a RB is met at first contact at the line of scrimmage, but eventually gains 5 yards. A Safety fills the hole, but because of a bad angle can't make the tackle. I mark that down as a zero yard gain, and analyze why that Safety had such an opportunity.

1 minute ago, brophog said:

Irrelevant. One of the big issues in analysis is this tendency to use strength of schedule as a metric and not a filter. What matters is what Nebraska is doing, not the results. Strength of schedule filters are simply means of extrapolation for comparison.

For example, let's say a RB is met at first contact at the line of scrimmage, but eventually gains 5 yards. A Safety fills the hole, but because of a bad angle can't make the tackle. I mark that down as a zero yard gain, and analyze why that Safety had such an opportunity.

And what does that tell you?   That a five yard gain was bad because it wasn't ten?   If you were to execute most offensive plays perfectly, a TD would result.  So, therefore, unless you score, it is a bad play?   I suppose it would be really difficult to perfectly execute a QB sneak and expect a TD as the QB will likely fall down before he actually ran in the endzone untouched.  

As far as suggesting that comparing our past opponents with our future ones and suggesting that such a comparision doesn't matter is rather odd to me. . Upsets and flukes and bizarre things can happen now and then such as weather, mass illness, scandal and turmoil, etc.  But, realistically, to simply say that we played poorly in three consecutive games against one reasonably good opponent (Oregon) and two that, by most objective measures and viewpoints, are simply not "Big Ten ready" but it means nothing.  I just can't accept that premise.  

One or two games, with unique or special circumstances that make the games an aberration, fine.  But three consecutive games is certainly a trend and some kind of indicator of future performance.