Say Eichorst is fired

Red Five

7 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Pederson was fired on 10-15-07.  TO fired Callahan 11-24.  Hired Bo 12-3

There is time

Yes, but TO was hired the day after Pederson was fired. Who's the AD that gets hired the day after Eichorst is fired that you trust to right the ship? Hiring the wrong AD could be even more disastrous than staying the course for another year and getting the right AD.

40 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

If that happens it'll be a disaster. We're going to fire the AD, have a job search (or not), hire a new AD, fire the coaches, have a coaching search (or not), and hire a new HC all this season. No way that ends in anything but tears.

That would be comparable to the end of the Pederson/Callahan era. The biggest difference is that Perlman had Osborne available as interim AD. Can you think of any such 'hit the ground running' candidates today? Unless Osborne is willing to do another (presumably shorter) round as interim AD, it would likely have to be someone already within the athletic department. A lot of people like the Trev Alberts idea, and while I could see him being named full-time AD (probably taking over in summer), you couldn't make him an interim AD without hurting UNO.

• Plus1 2
11 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Pederson was fired on 10-15-07.  TO fired Callahan 11-24.  Hired Bo 12-3

There is time

We had Tom then.  If we are looking at another D1 AD to hire, we don't have time.  Unless we promoted internally, hired Trev or some business person (Rimington?) w/ ties to UNL, AD searches take months.

1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Could be?  The Athletic Department has been a cluster-eff for a number of years.

Just now, unlfan said:

Yes, very likely. However, drastic times call for drastic measures. I think most would agree a house cleaning is in order. Need some more risk takers in my opinion. Every decision since and including the SE hire has been so traditional and conservative. Need to think outside of the box type of minds in there.

I was going to revise that statement - It already is a clusterf**k. But Coaching hires stress me out to begin with, that would be 3 crucial hires in a year, stability would be nowhere in sight.

Unl - Agreed, the AD hire would be the most important hire of the three. Need a guy with a vision. 

• Plus1 2
30 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

All of us assume this season is going to go off the rails and we are barely going to win any more games.  I'm in that group.

This may come as a surprise to some but I actually think we'll do better the rest of the season than most.  Not win the rest.  But I think we win the next two.  I think we'll have enough figured out by the time we get there to have a good shot at Northwestern.  Purdue might be a shootout again.  And Riley is usually good for one win that he shouldn't get and I don't think beating Wisconsin, Minnesota or Iowa will be THAT big of a hill to climb.   Not that we win all those games.  But I wouldn't be shocked if we still get to 6 or even 7 wins.

It's not that we don't have talent to compete with any of those teams.  We just have to use it competently.  I think we'll be closer to that going forward.

But I don't know where that leaves us in regard to your question.  If we beat Wisconsin or end the season with a win over Iowa but are still basically .500 would that be enough?

Personally, barring a miracle, I'd make the change this year.  Next year is going to be tough for whoever is here.  I'd rather take my lumps breaking in a new plan that watching things die slowly for 12 more months.

• Plus1 5

Honestly, as much as I want to see Eichorst given his walking papers, it probably won't happen until after Wisky or tOSU comes to town. Hell, Eichorst probably called that impromptu meeting in the halls because he had just been put on notice by boosters of substance and University leadership that he's under evaluation right now. 

But if both of those home games go the way we think they will at this point, then terminating SE is a no-brainer, it looks justified, and there's still plenty of time to find a new AD and evaluate the program to get it on the right track. And that evaluation may be just advising Riley to terminate Langsdorf, Cavanaugh, and finding quality replacements that can work with what we have and build it up. 

We have the talent--we've had it since this s***show began in late 2014--Eichorst even said so himself. The problem has been quality coaching and development, and while it appears the defensive side of the ball is showing steady improvement, we're regressing heavily on the offensive side of the ball. 

10 minutes ago, Mavric said:

But I don't know where that leaves us in regard to your question.  If we beat Wisconsin or end the season with a win over Iowa but are still basically .500 would that be enough?

Personally, barring a miracle, I'd make the change this year.  Next year is going to be tough for whoever is here.  I'd rather take my lumps breaking in a new plan that watching things die slowly for 12 more months.

This is where I've been for awhile. Riley seems like a great guy, but I don't see this program going any direction but down with him at the helm. We just need to rip off the band-aid.

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, Mavric said:

This may come as a surprise to some but I actually think we'll do better the rest of the season than most.  Not win the rest.  But I think we win the next two.  I think we'll have enough figured out by the time we get there to have a good shot at Northwestern.  Purdue might be a shootout again.  And Riley is usually good for one win that he shouldn't get and I don't think beating Wisconsin, Minnesota or Iowa will be THAT big of a hill to climb.   Not that we win all those games.  But I wouldn't be shocked if we still get to 6 or even 7 wins.

It's not that we don't have talent to compete with any of those teams.  We just have to use it competently.  I think we'll be closer to that going forward.

Best case scenario, it's very possible for NU to go 6-3 the rest of the way to finish 7-5.  Now, some people would say that "Riley finished strong, so the team was on the uptick."  It's very similar to the first year going 6-7, so that going 9-4 seemed like such a great improvement.  Is 7-5 a good year? I say no, and I would have seen enough from Riley and his staff to say "this experiment isn't working", time to go to a new plan.  And that 7-5 season seems like best-case scenario right now.

Mike'l Severe tweeted out that 30% of the coaches hired in 2010-2012 were fired within 3 years.  People act like NU is the only school without much patience for their football coach.  It's happening all over the place.  It's not unique to Nebraska.

• Plus1 8
25 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Best case scenario, it's very possible for NU to go 6-3 the rest of the way to finish 7-5.  Now, some people would say that "Riley finished strong, so the team was on the uptick."  It's very similar to the first year going 6-7, so that going 9-4 seemed like such a great improvement.  Is 7-5 a good year? I say no, and I would have seen enough from Riley and his staff to say "this experiment isn't working", time to go to a new plan.  And that 7-5 season seems like best-case scenario right now.

Mike'l Severe tweeted out that 30% of the coaches hired in 2010-2012 were fired within 3 years.  People act like NU is the only school without much patience for their football coach.  It's happening all over the place.  It's not unique to Nebraska.

Rutgers is coming of a shellacking of Morgan State, and keeping it close with Washington, so they are feeling good about themselves.  Without significant changes (which doesn't seem to be happening), I think Rutgers beats us this weekend.  Not sure why everyone seems to think Rutgers is an easy (or even likely) win.

• Plus1 4

1 hour ago, Herbie95 said:

Joe Moglia is currently taking a medical sabbatical--doesn't sound like it's life threatening however he's at that age where recovery take longer.  I do like the idea of him running anything however he might just want to be a coach given he's already been and left high level executive management.  

No. 

1 minute ago, neepster said:

Rutgers is coming of a shellacking of Morgan State, and keeping it close with Washington, so they are feeling good about themselves.  Without significant changes (which doesn't seem to be happening), I think Rutgers beats us this weekend.  Not sure why everyone seems to think Rutgers is an easy (or even likely) win.

I'm right there with you.  I don't think any game the rest of the year should be counted as an automatic win.

I was just saying "best-case scenario" is 6-3 the rest of the way, given the roster, and the glimmer of hope that Riley and his staff know what they are doing.

1 hour ago, RedDenver said:

Yes, but TO was hired the day after Pederson was fired. Who's the AD that gets hired the day after Eichorst is fired that you trust to right the ship? Hiring the wrong AD could be even more disastrous than staying the course for another year and getting the right AD.

We've apparently incorrectly hired the last 3 AD's.  Despite how long the search took.

Kep in mind, the projections are 3-5 wins right now from the numbers guys (not that that means everything). If we do hit worse case scenario this season (I'll just go with losing season), then there's absolutely no way Riley keeps his job. Fan apathy would be insane, and season ticket renewals would tank. Even a 6-6 season will have a ton of grumbling.